Thread: Emando amp question

Default Emando amp question

Hey there, just wondering would and emando like the mandobird or an acoustic-electric mando sound ok on a standard fender amp?

also how do guitar effects pedals sound on emando? (distortion, delay, etc)

Default Re: Emando amp question

if the amp is OK then your sound should be OK ! effects vary depending on the type used from bad to good . i have occasionally played guitar and emando from the cheapest marshall bass amp available and it sounds OK .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FadeOutAgain View Post
    ...snip...also how do guitar effects pedals sound on emando? (distortion, delay, etc)
    High-quality guitar stomp boxes are like melted cheese and beer...They make everything better.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FadeOutAgain View Post
    ...snip...how do guitar effects pedals sound on emando? (distortion, delay, etc)
    In all seriousness, be sure to check-out Andrew Hendryx's expert use of effects pedals with his e-mando throughout this excellent live performance. Everything here is outstanding, but of particular interest to this subject are the performances of Voodoo Child, Statesboro Blues, & Metal Jam.
    Rock on!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Hi FOA - I haven't YET played around with effects other than what may be built-in to the amp so I can't offer an opinion on those. However, I've played my MandoBird and acoustic-electric through several guitar amps (Fendar, Marshall, Crate, and Line 6) but mostly I plug directly into our sound system. In each case both mandolins sound great. I also use a DI box between the mandolin and amplification. Initially I used a LiveWire Direct Box and it worked just fine. When I recently bought the MandoBird I splurged and picked up an L R Braggs para-Acoustic DI. I'm still learning all that I can do with this new box. So, yes, in my limited experience the MandoBird and acoustic-electric mandolins sound ok on a standard Fender amp.

Mmmmm, melted cheese and beer.
    "I yam what I yam"

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    High-quality guitar stomp boxes are like melted cheese and beer...They make everything better.
    I think I`d prefer my beer without the lumpy bits....

One way to find out.. bring your E mando to a shop and give them each an audition.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Glowering Clown In Crisis mandomiser's Avatar

Necessity is the Mother of Invention and I have learned there are several effects using my DigiTech RP255 that actually bring an even greater multi-instrument sound to live music than the amazing synergism the mandolin already brings to the group. Our drummer/band leader just takes off whether others are ready or not and I'm frequently still changing over from guitar to my Godin A8 mando and have to stomp on the effects pedal till I find a sound that fits. If we didnt sound so good I'd quit!

In regards to the original Fender question, I use a Fender Princeton 65 1X12. Way too much bang for the buck, so they've stopped making them. Buy one new for around $200 and you'll never needed anything bigger. There's still a few avail online.
    Last edited by mandomiser; Oct-26-2011 at 8:28am. Reason: misspelling
    Hey! What happens if I push this button?~?~?~?~?~?~!~!~!~!~!~!~!