Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Fender Emando

Default Re: New Fender Emando

So-ooo, how accurate to the vintage Mandocasters is the new one?

Looks to me like a new 'guard, knobs, and a re-fin (CAR with matching peghead and a white 'guard, heavily antiqued, anyone?) would get you in the ballpark...

I'm interested to hear that pickup at NAMM, if we're able to do so...

Blog Entries

Bruce, thanks for the side-by-side comparison. That's really cool.

I'm betting this new model will sell like hotcakes. My guess is that there are MANY players within the mandolin playing community who saw the original Mandocasters and thought, "That is really cool, I'd love to have one of those, but $2,500 bucks?!". Well, now, the same design and the same name on the headstock can be had at 1/10 the price...SOLD!

Plus, solid-bodied electrics are pretty easy to upgrade and trick-out (Thanks to Pete and others), so, by investing a little time/effort/$ into one of these, one would very likely have a pro-grade e-mando.
    Last edited by Ed Goist; Jan-12-2013 at 11:58am.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

What's the word on when it's available? Now? Where?
    They sure look fun. Like others, for the price it's fine for something I wouldn't play every day. I had an old one some years back, but felt too much $ tied up in it for the novelty. I sold it. I went w/ the Mandobird (my family bought it for me as a birthday gift, cuz I kept staring at the pics). I love having it for "bending Bluesy" things. Now I'd pick up on the little Fender.

Curious on the input from Namm show.

4. The following members say thank you to mandopops for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfarmer Pete View Post
    I wonder if there`s enough metal over the string holes to drill another 3mm hole.......Strat saddles would improve things....
    My thinking exactly ! I would use shadow graphite saddles with piezo for an acoustic flavor option

I never even considered a 4-string mandolin.

Until now, that is.

I think there's an electric in my near future, but can't work out if I want an 8-string mandocaster or a 4-stringer like the Fender. Hmmmmm.

ron

7. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Blog Entries

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

I see from the other thread that an 8-string variation is in the works, too.

http://www.fender.com/en-CA/series/a...tric-mandolin/

Unlike the various-branded mandocasters on the market, the Schmidt has a traditional bridge and tailpiece. That might help make intonation simple for us acoustic players, but how will it otherwise affect the instrument's sound? Will it limit the options available, sound-wise?

Also, the Schmidt has a Piezo pick-up. Will that give a more acoustic sound than the coiled pick-ups on the mandocasters, etc?

Apart from the horrible headstock (a common feature across many of the 8-string electrics; nobody seems to have come up with an attractive 8-string electric headstock - though Pete at Almuse is an exception), the Schmidt is attractive. But if it sounds like an acoustic with a pick-up, I'll stick with my acoustic (which has a fine pick-up) or go back to looking at customising and/or upgrading a cheap mandocaster like a Revelation or Eastwood.

Any thoughts from those in the know?

ron

If you're looking for acoustic sound out of a solidbody electric mandolin (without synth, etc.) then IMO you're barking up the wrong tree.

That being said, I wouldn't mind an 8 stringer, especially with a hockey stick headstock.

If you read my post above and somehow think I want an acoustic-sounding electric, then it's not me who's barking up the wrong tree, Del. That's precisely what I don't want.

ron

Jon Mann builds higher end instruments than this Fender, but you should check out his Youtube channel if you want to hear the difference between 4 and 8.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Robert Schmidt 8-string is definitely an acoustic instrument that plugs in, not an electric in character. The knob on the top might lead you to believe otherwise. It's also street-priced (under $500) as more an entry or intermediate instrument.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    The Robert Schmidt 8-string is definitely an acoustic instrument that plugs in, not an electric in character. The knob on the top might lead you to believe otherwise. It's also street-priced (under $500) as more an entry or intermediate instrument.
    Thank, Ted. That clears that up for me. Back to the other possible tentative maybe-never-happen plans.

ron

If you take a close look at the specs on that Robert Schmidt you'll see it has a laminated top, precluding it from being a proper "acoustic" instrument. Builders use laminated tops on acoustic instruments that are being amplified to reduce top vibration [bad for an acoustic instrument] to lessen feedback when amplified. Gibson did this on their ES-137's and others.

IMO I would say the Schmidt was designed to be primarily an electric mandolin with an acoustic sound based on the specs. Would certainly be a pretty dead sounding acoustic with a lam top - good for practice but that's about all.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    But ... but ... but ... it looks just like the old ones, and ain't that what matters?
    But didn't the old ones have a bridge cover? And with that the new ones could have a bridge with individuall adjustment of intonation. Or would that be a drawback?

And I really don't understand why sunburst seems to be the first option or only choice when it comes to solid bodies. It's like the manufacturers want them to look like acustics.

Registered User wellvis@well.com's Avatar

In this particular case, Fender is mimicking the original color scheme used on the Fender Electric Mandolin. These models also came in a blonde finish, which I expect would be another option down the road if these instruments sell well.
    Brad's Page of Steel:
    http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
    A website devoted to acoustic & electric steel guitars

18. The following members say thank you to wellvis@well.com for this post:

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunwald View Post
    And I really don't understand why sunburst seems to be the first option or only choice when it comes to solid bodies. It's like the manufacturers want them to look like acustics.
    I suppose sunburst is the most commercially viable....fashions change when it comes to colours. I have a pal who runs the guitar department of a decent sized music shop. He`s got a couple of white Strats on the wall....had them in for months but apparently, nobody has even taken them down to try.......according to him, anything white is just not worth stocking at the moment. Even worse are some of the old custom colours....although the odd person might like Foam Green or Sonic Blue, I think Fenders market research people are simply looking at what guitar finishes sell well and taking the safe approach......back in the old days, all Strats were sunburst although when you mention acoustics, you`re probably right since I`m sure the sunburst finish was an attempt to nudge the people who played archtops over to the solid body - an element of the traditional if you like!

So I shouldn't be holding my breath for blonde with the anodized pickguard? :P

Or, Ash body, clear finish , the 'Louisville Slugger' look..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Searching for the Sound

Ok, I'm a newbie (playing for 5 months, coming along) who's learning to play so I can get musical with my nephews. An electric mando would be great, and I'm keeping an eye on eBay for Epiphone mandobird IV and VIIIs. The question: how different is playing a 4 string vs an 8 string? And, assuming the fender will sell for less than MSRP, should I just spend bucks on a new fender or consider a used mandobird?

This mando thing is sooooooo complicated.

PS I have an acoustic amp for my acoustic-electric mando ... would I need an "electric" amp for a mandobird/fender/ etc?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perry View Post
    Have you fellas seen this yet? I'm pretty excited!

http://www.fender.com/series/folk/mando-strat/

We have had people post about practicing on their solid body electric without an amp,
    so they dont disturb their sleeping children, at night..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    We have had people post about practicing on their solid body electric without an amp,
    so they dont disturb their sleeping children, at night..
    The exact same thing I am going to tell my wife...as soon as the little Fender comes onto the market!

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    So-ooo, how accurate to the vintage Mandocasters is the new one?

Looks to me like a new 'guard, knobs, and a re-fin (CAR with matching peghead and a white 'guard, heavily antiqued, anyone?) would get you in the ballpark...

I'm interested to hear that pickup at NAMM, if we're able to do so...
    The guard would definately have to go. It looks just like the tort on my Squier vintage modified Jaguar... a bad dot matrix picture of tortoiseshell.

I'll have mine in Fiesta Red with a mint guard, please.
    Steve Perry
    Sumi SF5 Birdseye

"Quit thinkin'... Just play"

Quote Originally Posted by wellvis@well.com View Post
    In this particular case, Fender is mimicking the original color scheme used on the Fender Electric Mandolin.
    Yeah, but not all that well....

Quote Originally Posted by delsbrother View Post
    So I shouldn't be holding my breath for blonde with the anodized pickguard? :P
    The gold anodized 'guard is the bugaboo on that one...
    I just went through the ringer trying to get an authentic one for a '59 Jazzmaster build, and finally found a guy in Scotland who cared enough to drill the right number of holes, get the sizing right, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perry View Post
    I'll have mine in Fiesta Red with a mint guard, please.
    With a matching peghead??
    "Yes" for me...
    Actually, that's something anyone could do, for under 50 bucks...

I just saw a sheet of 3-ply mint 'guard material on E%^y for just over ten bucks (here ya go), a couple knobs, and a can of paint...
    Oh, and a decal....

Some polys hate to be sprayed over, so I'll give a full report when I start working on mine....

I'm kinda curious why everyone is so GASed about this one.

The bridge is horrible, the bridge cover is MIA, there is no truss-rod to adjust the neck, the neck is bolt-on instead of set-neck, the pickup is weak and noisy, plus it's angled the wrong way to pickup the higher strings adequately.

This design came out in, what, the 50's? Have there not been innovations since then that improve on the originals deficiencies? Certainly offerings by Eastwood, Saga, etc. are more GAS-worthy as they've at least tried to address some of the earlier issues. Tiny Moore played a Bigsby, not a Fender - were there any famous players of these?

Is it really just about getting one just like the original with Fender on the headstock, warts and all?

Just curious.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

28. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Maybe the Squire looking materals come from that facility being the one that got the building contract.
    rather than the Mexico or Korea based part of the company.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture