Thread: Bell Brand Brass Reso

Registered Person

Default Bell Brand Brass Reso

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-Ukule...wAAOSwOZNc0I2y

who was the pro that reconned that nut and bridge....

2. The following members say thank you to neal for this post:

Default Re: Bell Brand Brass Reso

Well, there is a thread on cross tuning each string. This would make it easier. Obviously someone doesn't play mandolin.

Even better - it appears to be a Maybell made Cathedranola faux resonator. New owner is definitely going to be surprised.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

4. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

I think it is wonderful. Sure, needs a nut and bridge recut, but not sure I get the hate....

I'm actually a fan of faux resonators and own several -- and for some reason, yes, they DO sound like resonators. I think they get hate from people who have never played one, I'm guessing.

Well, it does have a Bell Brand tailpiece.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    who was the pro that reconned that nut and bridge....
    For posterity, zoomed-in views of the string spacing...

Bridge:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	string-spacing-bridge.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	176512

Nut:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	string-spacing-nut.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	176513

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I'm actually a fan of faux resonators and own several -- and for some reason, yes, they DO sound like resonators.
    I'm curious, what does the bridge actually sit on? Is there a regular single-layer wooden top underneath the metal faux resonator, or is it something like a banjo head underneath there, or ??

I'm also wondering about the top thickness, if it's a wooden top... do these faux-resonator instruments have a thinner-than-normal top, due to maybe getting a tiny bit of extra structural strength from the metal plate on top (to counteract lengthwise tension from the strings), thus maybe the builders could make the (presumed) wooden top a little thinner and thus (maybe) brighter sounding than usual? I have no idea, just guessing...

If it's a normal faux resonator it's just a wood bridge on a wood top. I wonder if that was tuned to an open chord and played with a steel? There's no way you could play it by fingering chords or picking out notes.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    If it's a normal faux resonator it's just a wood bridge on a wood top.
    Thanks Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I wonder if that was tuned to an open chord and played with a steel?
    Aha! Cool idea. Bet it might sound pretty nice played that way.

Yep, like Mike says just a wooden bridge sitting on a wood top, but still sounds very metallic, due to the cover plate. These were made for a price to cash in on the resonator thing. I'm surprised the cover plates are so nice. But, there ain't no "guts" under there.

What I object to is that in almost every discussion of these, somebody presents a "gotcha" moment revealing that it is FAUX and in the same breath implies it is bad -- when in fact they have never even held one in their hands. I worked at a vintage shop and they are great for $200-300........tune it to an open chord and play some slide -- great stuff! NO, they are not a $3000 National, but neither is a 30's Dobro, it is its "own thing" and a good one at that. Buncha different names, but they are all similar -- Stella, Del Oro, Mellophonic, etc......if you can find one that is still hanging together, you have a "real" 30's solid wood instrument, albeit a cheapo, but one that looks and sounds cool, IMHO.

Another option, which I've seen done with the faux guitars, is to buy some "innards" from StewMac and convert a faux into a real reso. Takes a little work to build the cone support, but can be done and then you have a convincing looking and sounding 30's instrument.

A friend of mine had a Danelectro U2 reissue (electric guitar) and we converted it into a resonator electric on my kitchen table one evening from a picture he saw in a magazine. Again, ordered a StewMac cone, biscuit, tailpiece and cover plate. Turned out pretty great, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Yep, like Mike says just a wooden bridge sitting on a wood top, but still sounds very metallic, due to the cover plate. These were made for a price to cash in on the resonator thing. I'm surprised the cover plates are so nice. But, there ain't no "guts" under there.

What I object to is that in almost every discussion of these, somebody presents a "gotcha" moment revealing that it is FAUX and in the same breath implies it is bad -- when in fact they have never even held one in their hands. I worked at a vintage shop and they are great for $200-300........tune it to an open chord and play some slide -- great stuff! NO, they are not a $3000 National, but neither is a 30's Dobro, it is its "own thing" and a good one at that. Buncha different names, but they are all similar -- Stella, Del Oro, Mellophonic, etc......if you can find one that is still hanging together, you have a "real" 30's solid wood instrument, albeit a cheapo, but one that looks and sounds cool, IMHO.
    Okay. I'm very sorry I mentioned that it was not a true resonator. I was concerned about the string spacing at the nut. Also appears that is another subject we can't talk about.

Bye folks. It was fun while it lasted.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Registered Person

Well, no hate here for it, the OP had only hate for the nut and bridge, and even “strong dislike” is a better choice of words. Plus the owner thought it was a uke.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Plus the owner thought it was a uke.
    Well, with all those nut slots you can string it as a 4-string, 8-string or a uke!