Thread: Wireless Endoscope

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Default Wireless Endoscope

Has anyone used the Depstech Wireless Endoscope for smartphones? If so, thoughts? Or recommendations on another brand for iPhone?

Listed for $46 on Amazon. Primary purpose would be to inspect acoustic instrument bodies. I’ve got a USB version, but I wanted a portable one to inspect used instruments that I may consider purchasing.

Thanks.

Default Re: Wireless Endoscope

Not where I thought this thread was going...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lenf12 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Figured that the title might cause a concerning thought or two. That's why I decided the purpose might be appropriate to include.

Which one are you looking at? I kind of like this one, and have been thinking of buying it. I want to be able to look inside the f-holes of fiddles, and also be able to use it to inspect the crawlspace under my house that I can't get to, as well as inside walls, etc. Seems like a perfect product for this, although the reviews seem to be mixed.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Which one are you looking at? I kind of like this one, and have been thinking of buying it. I want to be able to look inside the f-holes of fiddles, and also be able to use it to inspect the crawlspace under my house that I can't get to, as well as inside walls, etc. Seems like a perfect product for this, although the reviews seem to be mixed.
    Yes. The same except 7 meter. Although they're helpful, I don't really hang my hat on Amazon reviews. That's why I came to the forum to see if anyone had any experience with this model or maybe had a different recommendation.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    I guess you could swallow it.
    But seriously, if you're supposed to hold it in position anyway, what do you gain from "wireless"?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Blog Entries

I just ordered one of these after following your link. I can think of a lot of great applications for it, including instrument work... But also some nature photography applications for which the 10m snake will be nice. Thanks for pointing to this one.

And no, I don't expect this particular device will ever see the inside of a person.

It should arrive today. I'll report in with instrument related results...

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

9. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    But seriously, if you're supposed to hold it in position anyway, what do you gain from "wireless"?
    Really wanted a means of not having to bring a laptop along when I'm examining a mandolin or guitar. I'm hoping that my iPhone or iPad's hot spot will allow me to use the device. But that's one of the reasons for my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I guess you could swallow it.
    I'm guessing the wireless function would allow you to put your phone somewhere handy without it having to be physically connected to the other end of the wire. Or, say, you want to fish the camera into the top of a wall from inside the attic space while someone inside the house has the phone to see what's on the camera. Surely it would have its usefulness in some scenarios.

Don, I'm looking forward to your review.

12. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Blog Entries

Ok, so the DepsTech WiFi Endoscope arrived today. It works actually pretty nicely. I got the 10 meter length snake, there is a 7 meter length model available, and if I were only going to work with musical instruments I might consider getting the shorter length, or even shorter if it were available. You really don't need a lot of length to look inside a guitar or a mandolin. Now a tuba, maybe...

If you get this device you'll need to get the software for your phone or for your pad. On Google Play there are two packages, you want the one named "WiFi View'. The one named "DepsTech Camera" is for another device. And you'll need specifically to go into your phone's or pad's setup and configure your device's wifi to recognize the scope, the "WiFi View" software won't work unless you do so.

Instructions are a little vague, but I managed to figure it out. While I've been a computer programmer for 40 years, if you put me in front of a copy machine or a fancier microwave my eyes go dim and I time out. I did ok with the scope and its instructions.

Depending on your device, the "WiFi View" software offers the ability to take video or still pictures in a wide variety of resolutions. It defaults to 640x480, but there are lots of options so if you aren't happy with the default resolution, check out the settings screen.

Now, managing the scope inside something is going to be a leaned skill for me. While I could make out what I was looking at, and could make it view the things I wanted to see, my hand is awfully shaky. I've attached a video here, but I'll warn you, if you get motion sickness you may want to watch this a few seconds at a time instead of watching the whole video.

This is of the inside of my F-9, I was trying to get a good inside view of the scroll. You'll see I also got my feet and some of my cats and etc. Some of the shots are good, but for the most part, it's obviously a first try.

So far I'm actually very pleased, and I'm looking forward to trying this out on some other applications. Funny, I never thought I'd wish for a gopher in the front yard.

-- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Thanks for the moton sickness warning - this looks a bit like Blair Witch Project inside Dead Space 2 (any monster rattlesnakes lurking in the shadows?).
    Like all endoscope applications, it is also a navigation challenge (Leia: "The cave is collapsing!" Han Solo: "This is no cave")
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Ok, so the DepsTech WiFi Endoscope arrived today. It works actually pretty nicely. I got the 10 meter length snake, there is a 7 meter length model available, and if I were only going to work with musical instruments I might consider getting the shorter length, or even shorter if it were available. You really don't need a lot of length to look inside a guitar or a mandolin. Now a tuba, maybe...

If you get this device you'll need to get the software for your phone or for your pad. On Google Play there are two packages, you want the one named "WiFi View'. The one named "DepsTech Camera" is for another device. And you'll need specifically to go into your phone's or pad's setup and configure your device's wifi to recognize the scope, the "WiFi View" software won't work unless you do so.

Instructions are a little vague, but I managed to figure it out. While I've been a computer programmer for 40 years, if you put me in front of a copy machine or a fancier microwave my eyes go dim and I time out. I did ok with the scope and its instructions.

Depending on your device, the "WiFi View" software offers the ability to take video or still pictures in a wide variety of resolutions. It defaults to 640x480, but there are lots of options so if you aren't happy with the default resolution, check out the settings screen.

Now, managing the scope inside something is going to be a leaned skill for me. While I could make out what I was looking at, and could make it view the things I wanted to see, my hand is awfully shaky. I've attached a video here, but I'll warn you, if you get motion sickness you may want to watch this a few seconds at a time instead of watching the whole video.

This is of the inside of my F-9, I was trying to get a good inside view of the scroll. You'll see I also got my feet and some of my cats and etc. Some of the shots are good, but for the most part, it's obviously a first try.

So far I'm actually very pleased, and I'm looking forward to trying this out on some other applications. Funny, I never thought I'd wish for a gopher in the front yard.

Thanks for the review. There is a 2M version that might be appropriate for some folks. I've been using a 2M USB version that I connect with my laptop; even though I only use it for instrument inspection, I do feel the 7M would be more convenient.

My biggest question is whether the Depstech wireless is dependent on a home/business Wi-Fi in order to function or does it just simply transmit to the iPhone/iPad Wi-Fi port?

Don, thanks for the detailed write-up and video. Seems like it does what I expected. I'll be ordering one.

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    My biggest question is whether the Depstech wireless is dependent on a home/business Wi-Fi in order to function or does it just simply transmit to the iPhone/iPad Wi-Fi port?
    From what I've read, it transmits a WiFi signal that your phone receives. No external WiFi source is necessary. Just the phone and the scope are required. Some of the documentation seemed to mention Bluetooth would work as well, but I'm not sure.

18. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Blog Entries

... or does it simply transmit to the ...(device)... port? ...

Yes, it does simply connect and transmit directly to the phone or pad wireless port. No other home or business WiFi is required. And, multiple phones and/or pads can be wirelessly connected to the same scope to watch the imaging as it occurs.

The implication though is that since phones and pads generally can have only one wireless connection at a time, if they are connected to the scope, that is the only wireless connection that can be active. For example, no wireless Internet access while using the scope.

For that reason a Bluetooth scope might be a good option for people who would need to have Internet access while scoping.

20. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    ... or does it simply transmit to the ...(device)... port? ...

Yes, it does simply connect and transmit directly to the phone or pad wireless port. No other home or business WiFi is required. And, multiple phones and/or pads can be wirelessly connected to the same scope to watch the imaging as it occurs.

The implication though is that since phones and pads generally can have only one wireless connection at a time, if they are connected to the scope, that is the only wireless connection that can be active. For example, no wireless Internet access while using the scope.

For that reason a Bluetooth scope might be a good option for people who would need to have Internet access while scoping.
    Very good to know. Many thanks.

Amazingly, I just got the USB version yesterday. In spite of using the recommended software downloads and others, neither my Droid phone nor my Kindle Fire recognize the device. In fact, if you plug it into the Fire, it causes a reboot and still won't work. It does work on a laptop, but that isn't what I was hoping for. And I've written software since 1978. Maybe the wifi version would work.

Blog Entries

Don, thanks for the detailed write-up and video. Seems like it does what I expected. I'll be ordering one.

From what I've read, it transmits a WiFi signal that your phone receives. No external WiFi source is necessary. Just the phone and the scope are required. Some of the documentation seemed to mention Bluetooth would work as well, but I'm not sure.
    You're welcome Tobin... And just for clarification, I've seen no documentation or feature related evidence in the DepsTech WiFi Endoscope or in the WiFi View program that there is any support for Bluetooth. I suspect that if DepsTech offers Bluetooth support it is in a different device and different software.

Sorry to all about the motion sickness. I do suspect I'll get better at this, that video was really my first time. I am thinking about a number of interesting applications for this. Oh, and rest assured, they're all non-medical.

-- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

Thanks for the clarification. I had wondered whether the comments about Bluetooth were just from people getting confused between WiFi and Bluetooth (thinking that a wireless signal is a wireless signal, not realizing the difference).

And yeah, I can see all kinds of applications for this. Aside from all the work on my house that I need to do, and see inside hidden spaces, being able to see inside instrument bodies, my wife can use it for inspecting antiques.

I just ordered a few minutes ago. I added on the package that has side-view mirrors, a magnet, and a hook. Being able to use this to retrieve small items that are dropped in tight places will be very handy.

Blog Entries

... I added on the package that has side-view mirrors, a magnet, and a hook. Being able to use this to retrieve small items that are dropped in tight places will be very handy.
    You may still be happy you ordered these separately, but they were included with my package, so you'll probably end up having two sets of them. Very simple accessories, but useful -- and small so potentially easy to loose.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ludewig View Post
    Amazingly, I just got the USB version yesterday. In spite of using the recommended software downloads and others, neither my Droid phone nor my Kindle Fire recognize the device. In fact, if you plug it into the Fire, it causes a reboot and still won't work. It does work on a laptop, but that isn't what I was hoping for. And I've written software since 1978. Maybe the wifi version would work.
    When I got mine yesterday, I first downloaded the wrong DepsTech software which didn't work at all. Maybe, and I'm hoping for you, that there is a proper software package out there. When I did realize my mistake and had finally acquired the right software, it worked completely as documented.

Hmmm, I need to scope inside my Dobro. Fun!
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

My wireless endoscope came in today from Amazon. I quickly unpackaged it, plugged it into my USB port on my computer to charge, downloaded the WiFi View app on my phone, turned it on, and tested it. Works great!

The tip does seem to get hot pretty quickly when the LED lights are on. And it's not great at giving a clear picture of objects that are more than a couple feet away. But for close-up work in dark, tight spaces, it's the perfect tool. I was surprised at the clarity of up-close objects that I'm not used to being able to look at with digital cameras because they typically won't focus in that closely.

And as it so happens, I am trying to diagnose some air conditioning issues at my house, and need to look up into the ducts from the vents in my ceiling. So this device arrived at just the right time.

28. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

My wireless endoscope came in today from Amazon. I quickly unpackaged it, plugged it into my USB port on my computer to charge, downloaded the WiFi View app on my phone, turned it on, and tested it. Works great!

The tip does seem to get hot pretty quickly when the LED lights are on. And it's not great at giving a clear picture of objects that are more than a couple feet away. But for close-up work in dark, tight spaces, it's the perfect tool. I was surprised at the clarity of up-close objects that I'm not used to being able to look at with digital cameras because they typically won't focus in that closely.

And as it so happens, I am trying to diagnose some air conditioning issues at my house, and need to look up into the ducts from the vents in my ceiling. So this device arrived at just the right time.
    Thanks for the additional information. Looking for mine to arrive Monday.

I should update. I contacted Depstech about my problems. The wired one I had bought didn't work with my phone or tablet. It did work with a regular USB port on laptop or desktop or netbook. Anyway, they got right back to me and now I have the Wifi version. Charged it, downloaded the software, and I was up and running in minutes. It works like a charm. Probably not good for medical intrusion, but for instruments or finding what fell down behind the bookcase last year- it's great. Reminds me of when I went from a regular Hacklinger gauge to the Mag-ic Probe.

Let's see some images.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

32. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

Spruce