Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need an Amp

Blog Entries

Default Re: I need an Amp

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What's the "Soak" knob do electronically on the Carvin Vintage 15?
    Here's the best descriptive review I've found of the Carvin Vintage 16.

According to it, the 'Soak' is basically the "gain control - turn this up and the master down for the most drive, or the other way around for the clean tones."
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

in that case it's strange for them to call it soak, instead of gain. Usually soak implies the opposite end of the circuitry.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Blog Entries

And here's the description of the soak control from the Carvin website (under "product overview" of the Vintage 16):

"The SOAK control goes from stout clean tones with rich midrange body to a filling upper-midrange snarl defining its tweed sound."
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    And here's the description of the soak control from the Carvin website (under "product overview" of the Vintage 16):

"The SOAK control goes from stout clean tones with rich midrange body to a filling upper-midrange snarl defining its tweed sound."
    I agree that the use of the word 'soak' for the gain knob is confusing. I'm thinking this is mostly a matter of tradition and marketing on Carvin's part (to be a little different from everyone else, and to get folks talking about the product - Like we are right here! )

(sorry about the extra post, I meant to add this with 'edit' and hit the reply button instead...need more coffee! )
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Seems to me the Carvin's "soak" knob provides the same thing as the Blues Jr.'s "master" knob. I've grown to like amps with just one volume knob. Effects pedals do more when needed.
    Wye Knot

Blog Entries

If simplicity is a goal the Electro-Harmonix 44 Magnum Power Amp pedal is an answer. I find its tone very tube-like, mellow distortion when driven into clipping. 30W RMS estimated, they recommend that speaker rating. I have used it several times for small gigs; it is a big sound into a 12" speaker.

I'm too old to schlep a tube amp with heavy power and speaker transformers, and this thing only draws power as needed so my AC demand is probably only 50 watts, making this a greener choice. Great travel amp with a small speaker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44magnum.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	86534
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

That's actually interesting, here's a link to the item. Get yourself an efficient enclosure with a 12" speaker and go to town.

Blog Entries

Just played a school show today, tried my tiny speaker with my Crate PowerBlock head. Instead of tiny amp and efficient speaker, I had efficient amp and tiny speaker. (Using Buchanan with pickup.)

I am growing very fond of the tone of the 6.5" Eminence AlphaLite, with its clean high end. With enough power it was more than enough to achieve a clean tone with (tasteful) drums and bass. A cab with two would be a knockout.

The head is a decent sound, with useful crunch tone when you use the master volume. The high end is not limited, and is fine for acoustic instruments. Mainly, it's a low-cost lightweight solution (4.5 lbs.). I use it at the full-power setting for the little speaker, since that is rated 100W RMS. The amp is called 150W but that is at 10% distortion, so closer to 100W is honest.

I've been trying it out with the Ryder and my King of Tone overdrive pedal, great sound with smooth highs and plenty of bottom after a little EQ. Total weight of this rig is also around 10 lbs, like my 12" speaker/amp pedal combo.

Name:	mandospeaker~.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	86971
    Last edited by Tom Wright; May-26-2012 at 1:12am.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Registered User Terry Allan Hall's Avatar

I've found my "slightly modified" Red Line Peavy Envoy and Bandit (I've replaced the stock spkrs. w/ Jensen Mods) are perfect for both my Tele and electric mandolin playing...I generally go for a slightly cleaner sound for playing background and chords via the Clean channel, while the Lead Channel gives me all the "raunch" I require...and then there's my pedal board, for adding more sounds (test out a wah pedal and a good dig. delay for your mandolin playing. )

These are both "Transtube models", which really do sound like tube amps w/o the hassle of tubes...well-worth looking into!

I just learned about modifying the Carvin Vintage 16 amp from www.hasserl.com Seems to be an interesting website. I've no clue yet how much it'll cost to modifiy an amp.
    Wye Knot

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    If simplicity is a goal the Electro-Harmonix 44 Magnum Power Amp pedal is an answer. I find its tone very tube-like, mellow distortion when driven into clipping. 30W RMS estimated, they recommend that speaker rating. I have used it several times for small gigs; it is a big sound into a 12" speaker.

I'm too old to schlep a tube amp with heavy power and speaker transformers, and this thing only draws power as needed so my AC demand is probably only 50 watts, making this a greener choice. Great travel amp with a small speaker.

Name:	44magnum.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	86534
    I too use a 44 mag and it's awesome...and really loud. But the tone is fantastic. I use it along with an AMT R1 preamp/pedal which turns the amp into a Messa Triple Rectifier basically. Used it in a gig a month ago with a drumer, two electric guitar and keyboard player....it cut throught the mix without a problem. I also play bass and you can actually play bass through it and it sounds great.

I have a older Peavey Classic 50, a Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and a '79 Princeton Reverb (model with the pull boost that you should never pull). The Princeton is by far the best, a bit warmer than the DRRI and breaks up a bit earlier. I replaced the stock speaker with a Jenson MOD which is a huge improvement. The DRRI is still very nice but the Peavey is just too darn loud. The late '70's model Princetons are a bit cheaper than the earlier ones and are absolutely beautiful sounding amps once the speaker is replaced. Just don't bother pulling the boost. I found mine on Craigslist for $650.

I've been looking around at amps in the $100ish range, and I happened upon the Fender Frontman 25R. Have any of y'all tried this one out? From the videos/reviews, it seems like a decent amp for the money. Just wondering if any of y'all have played an emando trough it.
    2005 Gibson F-5G Deluxe
    2012 JBovier FM5 (Mandola)
    2005(?) Kentucky KM-300e (Electric)

2001 Taylor 310-K

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bush Fan! View Post
    I've been looking around at amps in the $100ish range, and I happened upon the Fender Frontman 25R. Have any of y'all tried this one out? From the videos/reviews, it seems like a decent amp for the money. Just wondering if any of y'all have played an emando trough it.
    Decent for the $$$...not terribly clean when cranked, so test before you buy.

Need a low bucks alternative?

I picked up a Fender Mustang I for my Mandobird and I challenge anyone to find a better amp for the price ($109 new at GC).
    It has built in amp modeling for 8 amps with 3 variations of each. You can also modify each on the fly and either save it that way or revert when you change to a different model.

Three of the amps models it emulates are '57 Deluxe, '59 Bassman and a '65 Twin reverb. ...and it does a pretty darn good job of it too (a buddy of mine has a Twin and it really does sound similar). It will even accept a footswitch so you can change from a lead to a rhythm channel on the fly. Pretty cool.

It is supposedly programmable through the software that comes with it but so far my PC doesn't like the drivers so I can't tell you anything there. BUT... even with that it is still a really sweet amp for the price. Pfft! I've spent more taking the wife to a nice dinner.

For a practice or small gig amp I think its a pretty sweet deal. While I don't really love Guitar Center they have a 30 day return policy... you can get your money back if you disagree with me.
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

Thumbs up Re: I need an Amp

Quote Originally Posted by padawan View Post
    Need a low bucks alternative?

I picked up a Fender Mustang I for my Mandobird and I challenge anyone to find a better amp for the price ($109 new at GC).
    It has built in amp modeling for 8 amps with 3 variations of each. You can also modify each on the fly and either save it that way or revert when you change to a different model.

Three of the amps models it emulates are '57 Deluxe, '59 Bassman and a '65 Twin reverb. ...and it does a pretty darn good job of it too (a buddy of mine has a Twin and it really does sound similar). It will even accept a footswitch so you can change from a lead to a rhythm channel on the fly. Pretty cool.

It is supposedly programmable through the software that comes with it but so far my PC doesn't like the drivers so I can't tell you anything there. BUT... even with that it is still a really sweet amp for the price. Pfft! I've spent more taking the wife to a nice dinner.

For a practice or small gig amp I think its a pretty sweet deal. While I don't really love Guitar Center they have a 30 day return policy... you can get your money back if you disagree with me.
    Good for home use...if you're going to gig with it, though, the Mustang II, with 40 watts, a 12" speaker, and all the bells and whistles of the Mustang I would be a better option...about $200.

If you don't have to get super loud, a silverface Champ or, for a bit more umph, Princeton Reverb would float my boat for just about anything that doesn't have to be super "clean". Beautimous amps.

+1 for the Carvin Vintage 16. What a great 1x12 amp for $300 (or so, from Craig's List). Sounds especially great with some of the built-in spring reverb and a touch of tremolo.

Blog Entries

I discovered tonight that ALL of my instruments (tenor guitar, mandolin & bass) sound great through my new Hartke Kickback 12 bass amp. The combination of the Hartke's outstanding 12" aluminum-cone speaker, 120 watts, tone shaping control, and 3-band EQ allow the user to dial in a great tone regardless of the instrument's range.

Even though I'm generally a "tube man", I'd have to say that the Hartke out performs both my Fender Super Champ and my Hughes & Kettner Edition tube on the non-bass instruments (especially the Ovation mandolin).

This is a very welcome surprise!

What a great amp. Highly recommended.

Name:	Kickback_12-display.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	95353
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

That Power Supply, above it, part of the 44 Magnum amp package?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have a Peavey Classic 50, Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and a vintage silverface Fender Princeton Reverb. The Princeton is by far the best with mando. IMO the best anyway.

Thumbs up Re: I need an Amp

Quote Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
    I have a Peavey Classic 50, Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and a vintage silverface Fender Princeton Reverb. The Princeton is by far the best with mando. IMO the best anyway.
    Agreed that, if you can get by with a lower volume amp (like if you have a drummer who comprehends dynamics), a SF Princeton Reverb, mic'd into the PA, sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    That Power Supply, above it, part of the 44 Magnum amp package?
    Yes it is included. That is the only "negative" thing I can think of as far as the amp is concerned...and that is that it does not have a on/off switch. So you just have to pull the power supply out to turn it off or do what I do and plug it into a power strip and I just hit the switch on the power strip. But the tone is super nice and with a preamp you can get whatever sound you can dream of out of it.

I use a mustang III. if you add the 4 button pedal from the mustang 5 (it has plugs in back for the incl 2 button and the 4 button) you have lots of choices.

I use a 57 deluxe for clean button 1, deluxe with chorus button 2 and swap between a champ, bassman and princeton for my 3rd choice for overdriven leads. once you update the firmware and setup the individual volume levels it is a great setup and only $300 for 100 watts of clean sound