Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

I really like the look of the mottled brown one. Does anyone have experience with cases of the same material? How well would they hold up in wetter climates?

I wonder how these compare to say a non custom Calton.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    I really like the look of the mottled brown one. Does anyone have experience with cases of the same material? How well would they hold up in wetter climates?
    I just want to know if they are edible. Asking for a friend.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

'Case lid opens 180 degrees', just like my 90 year old cases do once the ribbon wore out...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

6. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    'Case lid opens 180 degrees', just like my 90 year old cases do once the ribbon wore out...
    BAM (made in France) offers this on some of its violin cases. It is a blessing and a curse all at the same time. Takes up twice the footprint when you open it.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

They are nice. I’ll take a brown one. My mandolin is in a gig bag currently.

I am extremely excited about these. I’m going to have to run to Marshal Michigan in the next few weeks to check them out.
    They may not be priced too bad. Here is a similar violin case.

http://https://www.swstrings.com/pro...352D19A0C81726
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

Meh....I'll stick with my Caltons.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

I wonder if they'll be exclusive to Northfield?

That is a fine looking case that is going to get a lot of attention at the NAMM. It has my attention right now!

I wonder how much abuse they can take. I have an Eastman mando case that was run over by a golf cart backstage at a festival a couple of years ago - case ended up scuffed and the mando inside was fine. Admittedly, the cart ran over the lower right edge of the case which is probably the most reinforced part of the case, but still...pretty good protection for a sub-$150 case.

Blog Entries

Some new happenings from Eastman. I've had this information awhile and they are in their writing but I got to see all of this today. Impressed. In particular the MD 6 with block inlays ala Sam Bush style Gibson mandolins and the tortoise binding on the MD915-BD is stunning for this price range.

I have pictures but also more commitments the rest of the day but wanted to get this out there as The Mandolin Store has also made some announcements on their mailing list:

MDA315: This is an F-Style Mandola that will have an MSRP of $999

MD515/v: A varnish f-style w/ f-holes and a 3 piece neck. MSRP $1399

MD515CC/n & MD505CC/n: These will have our new Contoured Edge (rolled edge) with the new Vintage Nitro finish. These will be available by late summer.

MD 6 Series: We will show a MD615 but the series will now feature block pearl inlays and an ebony pickguard.

MD915-BD: In an effort to put our MD915’s on a higher level these will now only come in Blonde using premier woods and a tortoise binding. It’s a stunner!

We will also be showing a MD515 with large acoustic guitar fret wire. This is something we are hoping to get feed back on and could be a possible spec change across all mandolins.

And finally we redesigned our bridges for better intonation.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

MD615 - this is taken from their web site which was just updated today with the models, or so they told me. Haven't verified that.

Neck Material:Maple
    Fingerboard:Ebony
    Fingerboard Radius:12"
    Nut:Bone 1 3/32"
    Fretwire:23 Jescar FW37053
    Scale Length:13 7/8"
    Body Style:F-Style w/ F-Holes
    Body Dimensions:26 11/16" x 10" x 1 7/8"
    Body Top:Solid Spruce
    Body Back/Sides:Solid Maple
    Truss Rod:Single Acting
    Binding:Top, Back, Fingerboard, and Headstock
    Binding Material:Ivoroid
    Logo:Pearl Headstock
    Inlay:Pearl Blocks
    Side Dot Color:Black
    Body Finish:Gloss Nitrocellulose
    Neck/Headstock Finish:Gloss Nitrocellulose
    Harware Color:Chrome
    Tailpiece:Eastman Cast Aluminum Tailpiece
    Bridge:Adjustable Compensated Ebony Bridge
    String Spacing:1 5/8"
    Nut Height:.018"
    Pickups:K&K Mandolin Twin
    Tuners:Pingwell RM-1583N-26A
    Strap Peg:Ebony
    Strings:D'adarrio J74
    Action Height:0.060"/0.050"
    Case:Hardshell Case

Name:  MD615_Mandolin__BCL1_0118.jpg
Views: 2220
Size:  917.3 KB

Blog Entries

Not surprised the new Northfield cases will make a splash because they are quite impressive in person. They are super-light and come in a variety of external materials. The light tan color is actually a smooth surface while the green is more fuzzy and probably not something you'd want to stick case stickers one. I think this is a great option for someone that doesn't need something worthy of rough road and travel protection like a Calton, Pegasus, and similar choices. Will see more of them in a bit as meeting up with the Northfield crew for gnarly taco night at a dive joint.

So much more to post. Long, busy day, lots of real exciting new things going on in the mandolin world and some announcements can't wait to share.

Meanwhile, get over and meet the delightful young Maegen Wells, 10 yr. high end archtop guitar builder now crafting gorgeous mandolins with her own twist. All A models with an F planned for the near future. Very talented young lady that apparently started building guitars in high school. More on her later. http://www.maegenwellsguitars.com/

Name:  maegan.jpg
Views: 3190
Size:  90.4 KB

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Curious to know if these cases are sealed enough for humidifier to function. That might be the most important thing my cases do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Meanwhile, get over and meet the delightful young Maegen Wells, 10 yr. high end archtop guitar builder now crafting gorgeous mandolins with her own twist.
    That's a great looking mandolin! How did it sound? Nice looking archtop guitar too!
    I was wondering this morning after seeing a video on PegheadNation about Pava, how many women mandolin makers there are.
    Pava Knezevic, Lauri Girouard, Laura Ratcliff, any others that we should know about?

I'm enjoying the industry updates. Especially the photographs.

About that Northfield case...

Jakob Winter mandolin cases - Northfield Mandolins
    What is "polystyrene insert instrument protection system for optimal protection"? Sounds like the Department of Redundancy Department.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

25. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    That's a great looking mandolin! How did it sound? Nice looking archtop guitar too!
    I was wondering this morning after seeing a video on PegheadNation about Pava, how many women mandolin makers there are.
    Pava Knezevic, Lauri Girouard, Laura Ratcliff, any others that we should know about?
    Jenny from Phoenix mandolins.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by carleshicks View Post
    I am extremely excited about these. I’m going to have to run to Marshal Michigan in the next few weeks to check them out.
    They may not be priced too bad. Here is a similar violin case.
    Your link did notwork. Try this one: Jakob Winter Greenline Natural violin case
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Meanwhile, get over and meet the delightful young Maegen Wells, 10 yr. high end archtop guitar builder now crafting gorgeous mandolins with her own twist.
    There was a podcast interview of Maegen Wells on Fretboard Journal.

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...-maegen-wells/

Very cool. I would love to hear one of her guitars and one of her mandolins.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

30. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Blog Entries

Headstock shots from three very spectacular mandolins.

Northfield's take on a Torch and Wire. This is a remarkable mandolin had the pleasure of playing this evening. Where it's is going to end up for sale remains to be seen. My guess would be Music Emporium but no known date and that's just spectaculation.

Name:  northfieldheadstock.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  68.2 KB

Headstock on Tom Ellis' person Ellis Mandolin complete with the black Handel Tuners they are making. Even more remarkable in person and this entire instrument was a true work of art. It resides in an all black custom Calton Case built to Toms specs.

Name:  ellisheadstock.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  129.3 KB

A new look for some Collings headstocks, certainly not all, but some of the top end models is their take on the flowerpot. Another remarkable mandolin in every single aspect.

Name:  collingsheadstock.jpg
Views: 1949
Size:  86.9 KB

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Couple more shots of the green Northfield case. Striking in person, difficult to capture on camera. I've asked Adrian if he can come out and answer some of the questions posed. I do know he has said this is in the general range of $250 which we think is a great price.

Name:  northcase.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  141.1 KB

Name:  northcase2.jpg
Views: 1918
Size:  76.9 KB

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

This is my good friend Drago, the main marketing, sales rep from Schertler Switzerland. He was gracious and accepted a Cafe ball cap to replace his hipster pork pie hat he usually wears.

Good time for us to announce we'll be doing a couple of giveaways of their products this year likely starting in June. Their amps are the bomb and I'm getting one (out of my own pocket) to plug into for gigs.

Name:  drago.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  82.8 KB

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

And finally to close out Thursday evening, visual proof of what 30 tacos, 2 monster quesadillas (not yet delivered to the table) and 5 cans of soda look like shortly before being devoured by the 3 Bagale brothers of Northfield, myself and my wife Annie. Bags of onions, cilantro, limes, sliced cucumber and sauces. Total bill: $52 and change. Place is a total blast and the food is hands down the best street style tacos I've ever had. We've decided this is an annual absolute must return every year.

Taqueria Los Gueros, 628 W. La Palma Ave., Anaheim. Place was jam packed the entire evening.

Name:  tacos.jpg
Views: 3546
Size:  75.8 KB

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post: