Thread: Hohner two-point mandolin maybe vintage

Default Hohner two-point mandolin maybe vintage

Hi folks. This is my first post here. Hoping for an insight to something. I picked up the Hohner mandolin pictured here at a local music shop this week. Shop owner said it is "vintage" but did not know anything about it. There is no sticker inside. I bought it because it looks and plays very well and the price was low. I have searched the web extensively to try and find a matching model and came up empty-handed. I can find a few mandos that look sort of like it but nothing matching and none like this one, with the two-points, from Hohner.

Anyone know anything about this particular model?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1950.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	576.5 KB 
ID:	206852  

Default Re: Hohner two-point mandolin maybe vintage

Sure looks good and made well!
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Agreed. Just would love to know more about it. History. Year made. Woods used. Stuff like that....

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Sure looks good and made well!
    Agreed. Would love to learn more about it. Age, Origin. Woods used. etc....

I have a nearly identical one. A Madeira (by Guild) model M10 purchased new in 1982. Made in Japan. It has a solid Sitka spruce carved top (natural finish) and laminated rosewood back & sides. Nice little import. I have seen only a couple of others like it. They were labeled (head stock inlay) under Aria. I assume they were produced in the same factory. I recently had mine fretted. A few pics are posted on the website for Edney Guitars of Hiram, ME

Shop owner said it is "vintage" but did not know anything about it.
    I wonder if the shop owner has a clue what “vintage” even means. It is probably worth what you paid for it, more or less. Enjoy it and make music.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I wonder if the shop owner has a clue what “vintage” even means. It is probably worth what you paid for it, more or less. Enjoy it and make music.
    As we age what is considered vintage seems to chase us a bit.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    As we age what is considered vintage seems to chase us a bit.
    So I can tell my kids I am not old, I am vintage.

Taken literally, “vintage” simply refers to wine which has a production date assigned to it. In other circles, it seems to refer to whatever people in those fields choose to decide what it means - hence the confusion.

Electric guitarists say "vintage" is anything older than 30 years. That would make my 90s Flatiron vintage!

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    Electric guitarists say "vintage" is anything older than 30 years. That would make my 90s Flatiron vintage!
    Wrong. In US production musical instruments, to anyone who cares to taken as creditable when speaking on the topic, "vintage instruments" are those produced through 1969. The term has nothing to do with how much time has passed, but rather, a point in time. Dunno what is considered "vintage Asian-made instruments"...imagine my shock when learning that there are now markets for "vintage synthesizers" and "vintage computers"...
    too many strings

It is identical to the Madeira mentioned above, leading me to conclude that there is a factory across the Pacific ocean spitting out budget instruments with "Your Name Here" on the headstock. If you, as you state, like how it looks and plays, and you did not spend more than 150-200 bucks...huzzah!
    too many strings

In used or old musical instruments “vintage” means what the writer or speaker wants it to mean. It’s often an attempt to give the instrument a cachet (and often, a price) that it may/may not merit. There’s no consistent, defensible definition, though some arbitrary descriptions are widely accepted.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

I attended my first vintage guitar show around 1984. Today, a guitar made in 1984 would be considered vintage. It is all a matter of perspective, somewhat based on your age and interests.

I recall an old George Gruhn article where he listed his top 10 vintage electric guitars. The "newest" guitar on the list was made in 1959.

Somewhat unrelated, but I thought of Sha Na Na performing at Woodstock, mockingly singing music of only 10 years earlier for laughs. Today, they would be considered "ironic."

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    In used or old musical instruments “vintage” means what the writer or speaker wants it to mean. It’s often an attempt to give the instrument a cachet (and often, a price) that it may/may not merit. There’s no consistent, defensible definition, though some arbitrary descriptions are widely accepted.
    So true, your first two sentences...anything means anything anymore...which translates into everything means nothing.

As concerns your third sentence, dozens (conservatively rated...no doubt more like 100s if not thousands) of established, knowledgable and respected dealers and collectors/aficionados all agree that "vintage", when speaking of US made musical instruments, indicates pre-1970, being the point when quality went to crap. This is due to Martin/Gibson/Fender/et cetera all being run by lawyers and accountants who placed the financial bottom line as a priority over high quality output. Nothing arbitrary about it...
    too many strings