Thread: New to the emando world.

Default New to the emando world.

Howdy.
    I am a player, builder and overall lover of all things mandolin. I primarily play traditional bluegrass with a slight progressive edge. I like other genres of music such as jazz, blues, classical and even some rock. I glean (or at least try) from all styles I hear.
    I am putting the finishing touches on a 4 string solid body electric mandolin. Pretty much a Mandocaster. I wanted to build a solid body instrument of some type after building several F styles and dreadnoughts. I thought of the Mandocaster and off I went.
    Funny thing is, I have never played one! In fact, I had never held nor seen one in person until I pieced mine together! LOL. The learning curve in front of me is going to be sharp and steep!!
    Any suggestions, my friends? Resources? Songs to try? Groups or Artists to glean from?
    Thanks
    KEEP IT SQUATCHY!!
    "...praise Him with STRINGED INSTRUMENTS..." Psalm 150:4

2. The following members say thank you to Sasquatch for this post:

MrMoe 

Smile Re: New to the emando world.

4. The following members say thank you to Jacob for this post:

MrMoe 

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Re: New to the emando world.

Welcome to the Emando world

Firstly - pics.

Secondly it’s pretty close to going from acoustic guitar to solid body guitar. So don’t necessarily start chopping away.

Listen to a few people who play it. This is not an exhaustive list and not in any real order and will be enhanced by others. But listen to

Sam Bush - Laps in seven (solid body comes in towards the end)

Jethro burns and tiny moore - back to back

Tiny moore - stumbling

Horslips- trouble with a capital t

Many many more.

Being four string, you’ll lose something in tremolo. But you’ll gain in sustain.

Things like tone and volume swells are worth experimenting with.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Thank You Jacob! I looked a little at Emando after your suggestion. Really cool.
    KEEP IT SQUATCHY!!

David, thank you for the input. I polished mine out last night. I plan to put the hardware on tonight and the neck. Ready to finish the pots and pickup. I'll post some pics in a bit of the construction and hopefully this weekend of the final.
    KEEP IT SQUATCHY!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yowie headstock.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	187334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yowie back.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	187335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yowie top.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	187336

Body is made from a piece of local wild cherry a fellow musician cut years ago. I incorporated the woods natural flaws by filling them with epoxy mixture. Neck is maple with a figured red maple fret board. Scratch plate is copper I altered with mustard, salt and ammonia. I call my instruments 'The Squatch' and each one gets tagged/ named after one of the many cryptids from around the globe. This one is called 'Yowie'. I'll post the finished product later.
    KEEP IT SQUATCHY!!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquatch For This Useful Post:

That is gorgeous. Nice job!

Looks great! I love that copper pickguard. Reminds me of the original guards on the Fender JazzMaster and the like. Can't wait to hear a sound clip!

12. The following members say thank you to mreidsma for this post:

MrMoe 

Very cool! Also looking forward to hearing it. There is an unusual album featuring an old Fender by John Kruth called The Cherry Electric.
    Also, hear is a link to a Brian Oberlin demo of an EM-8. He has a nice touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WflymMYCtzI

Congratulations on your excellent work.
    Maurice

14. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

This video will give you the best of two worlds. Sam Bush starts on resonator mando, and then during the guitar solo five minutes in, switches to electric mando. You also get an amazing vocal from John Cowan, especially at the end.

still trying to turn dreams into memories

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marcus CA For This Useful Post:

Cool video. I have watched it several times. Mandolin on top is a mix that works for me. The resonator is a National I assume? It really cuts. I still do not get Ovation guitars other than the nice carving of their necks. I think the Banjo player had been picking black berry's the day before. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    This video will give you the best of two worlds. Sam Bush starts on resonator mando, and then during the guitar solo five minutes in, switches to electric mando. You also get an amazing vocal from John Cowan, especially at the end.

Is that solidibody filtered through a laser or a chorus?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

19. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

MrMoe 

Wow I never saw that clip. Sam the Man is taking it “out“ John Cowan looks like the musician Paul Williams. Ovation guitar sounds pretty good... appears to be unplugged?

21. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post:

MrMoe 

I think I see a cord hanging off of the Ovation and he is standing in front of a Silver Face Fender. Ovation was very early on making acoustic electric`s and did a fairly good job with their electronics, creating a sound that was unique at the time. They usually play very comfortably. They were (and are) hugely popular. Being a wood guy, its hard to get behind a plastic body. Unplugged I always felt the the sound was coming from another room.
    The electric mandolin sure seems to have a couple of effects going on. This is 1977, things were much different then, what fits in a stomp box today took up several spaces in a rack back then.