Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what strings do you use.

Default what strings do you use.

good morning, what are the best sounding strings out there now a days & were do you buy them. thanks Tony.

Default Re: what strings do you use.

From the OP - "what are the best sounding strings out there now a days & were do you buy them ?." When you find out - let us all know !!!.

Seriously - You need to try as many brands & string gauges as you feel you need to, to find the string brand & gauge that suits YOUR mandolin - it's as simple as that. Strings that sound terrific on one mandolin might sound dreadful on another. Try as many different picks as you can as well, with the various strings. Hopefully,you'll find a string /pick combo. that will bring out the best in your instrument - regardless of our instruments.

It might help if you told us your make & model of mandolin ie. if it was an Ellis,i'd say try Tom Ellis 'go to' strings GHS A270's,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

I agree totally with Ivan. It ain’t what we like, it’s what the mandolin likes. Out of 4 mandolins I regularly buy 3 different strings.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

There are many brands (D'Addario, GHS, DR, etc.) , weights (Light, med, heavy), types (Phosphor bronze, flat wound, monal, etc.) To try out. After a bit you'll get a feel for what you like and what sounds best on your mando. And for around $5-$15 its not too much of a hit in the account.

If you like the strings you have now ask the seller what it's strung with and go with the same.

I order from these guys mostly http://m.juststrings.com (nfi) but will shop just about anywhere depending. Once again, locally I prefer Dusty Strings Seattle, WA (nfi).

Fwiw on my Weber I like D'Addario ej74 and GHS a270. I'm going to try DR and John Pearse next. I like medium phosphor bronze strings.

I tell you the one brand I don't like are black diamond. maybe that should have been the title, what strings do you dislike & avoid.

That's like asking what is the best mandolin , car, bicycle, motorcycle or even strings out there ! I use GHS A270 on my Ellis ( A and F ). Not sure what I will use on my, not born yet, Wienman f5 !

I like D’Addario Nickel Bronze Strings. I’m using 11.5-40 right now, but I have a set of 11.5-41 for next time.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    good morning, what are the best sounding strings out there now a days & were do you buy them. thanks Tony.
    there is no such thing as a universal "best" of anything. "best" is personally subjective, not objective. as mentioned elsewhere, strings for an instrument will always be a compromise of player and instrument likes/dislikes. there is no substitute for experimentation.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yup ..... Go to an online supplier and order a half a dozen sets of different gauge , brand and metal strings and change them every month for half a year. At the end of that period you will have "whittled" down gauges and materials and can hunt your favorite maker. Keep in mind the process starts over with each new mandolin. My personal choice is Curt Mangan PB .11's . R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

From Zach Wilson - "..Fwiw on my Weber I like D'Addario EJ74 and GHS A270." There ya go !. I have EJ74's on my Weber & they sound great - i have also tried GHS A270's on it & they didn't sound too good at all. However,they seem to suit Zach's Weber.

Zach intends to try out DR strings,i'm assuming the DR MD11's medium gauge. I've had them on my own Weber & they sounded terrific,but now i'm using a Dunlop Primetone pick,EJ74's give me al the 'punch' i need. I do use DRs on my larger than standard Lebeda though,they're a pretty strong sounding string. I use GHS A270's on my Ellis,although right now i've got EJ74's on it. They sounded lousy for the first couple of days,but they seem to be coming around to sounding half decent on it,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From Zach Wilson - "..Fwiw on my Weber I like D'Addario EJ74 and GHS A270." There ya go !. I have EJ74's on my Weber & they sound great - i have also tried GHS A270's on it & they didn't sound too good at all. However,they seem to suit Zach's Weber.

Zach intends to try out DR strings,i'm assuming the DR MD11's medium gauge. I've had them on my own Weber & they sounded terrific,but now i'm using a Dunlop Primetone pick,EJ74's give me al the 'punch' i need. I do use DRs on my larger than standard Lebeda though,they're a pretty strong sounding string. I use GHS A270's on my Ellis,although right now i've got EJ74's on it. They sounded lousy for the first couple of days,but they seem to be coming around to sounding half decent on it,
    Ivan
    Thank you! I appreciate your info!

13. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Monels!!!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I use Elixir nano coated. They sound good and seem to last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    Monels!!!
    What do you know about playing the mandolin ?? You are just a rookie !

I have tried all kinds of strings on my Weber Yelllowstone from most of the manufacturers out there and I always came back to the GHS A270's. Then I saw a thread about Mapes strings and thought I would give them a try. I ordered a set with the same gauges as the GHS and they sounded better and more even across all the strings. The A & E GHS strings always sounded a little on the shrill and twangy side to me. I was visiting with Bruce Weber a couple of weeks ago and told him how I preferred the Mapes over all the others. He said he would order some to see if he liked them. I pulled a set out of my case and said "Here you go". I haven't talked with him yet as I just had a cervical fusion on my neck and not feeling all that chipper yet.

Here is a link to their website; https://www.mapesstrings.com/

I use the D”Addario EJ74, nowadays. The builder of my mandolin intonates the saddle for them (I think). I’ve been meaning to try the white bronze version soon, though.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    I have tried all kinds of strings on my Weber Yelllowstone from most of the manufacturers out there and I always came back to the GHS A270's. Then I saw a thread about Mapes strings and thought I would give them a try. I ordered a set with the same gauges as the GHS and they sounded better and more even across all the strings. The A & E GHS strings always sounded a little on the shrill and twangy side to me. I was visiting with Bruce Weber a couple of weeks ago and told him how I preferred the Mapes over all the others. He said he would order some to see if he liked them. I pulled a set out of my case and said "Here you go". I haven't talked with him yet as I just had a cervical fusion on my neck and not feeling all that chipper yet.

Here is a link to their website; https://www.mapesstrings.com/
    What material (Alloy) of strings ( phosphorus/bronze) etc did you choose ?
    Last edited by yankees1; Dec-02-2017 at 1:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    What material (Alloy) of strings ( phosphorus/bronze) etc did you choose ?
    GHS A-270's are phosphor bronze. They also make a N-270 that I like a lot, they are pure nickel and a very dry sounding string on my mandolin, your mandolin may sound different. Another nice GHS string is their silk and bronze, very different than silk and steel that most folks don't like on mandolin or guitar.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    GHS A-270's are phosphor bronze. They also make a N-270 that I like a lot, they are pure nickel and a very dry sounding string on my mandolin, your mandolin may sound different. Another nice GHS string is their silk and bronze, very different than silk and steel that most folks don't like on mandolin or guitar.
    I was referring to alloy of Mapes strings !

Can't help you there, sorry missed that.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I've tried many different string brands on my Kimble A-0 and they add a little something different. I just put a set of Thomastik 154ST Heavy on it this week and am really enjoying it. Great feel and tone that fits the repertoire that I'm playing now. I haven't thought about what will be next, but there are still a few different packs in my string box that I'll get around to. I usually buy 8-10 sets at a time (4 mandolins in our house), and usually buy a few different sets along with what we like (EJ-74, Newtone PB, DR & GHS). It's fun trying different strings and picks.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

My local music store carries D'Addario.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I was hoping to find a trend as to what brand or brands are preferred & than take it from there. you know narrowing the felid so to speak. right now I am using the EJ-74 & I have tried those web strings, there good & they last longer but to me the EJ-74 sound better. I guess you just can't have the best of both worlds.

Don’t rule any string out. For a long time I agreed with a previous post, Black Diamond were terrible. I bought a mandolin that I couldn’t find what string it liked. Low and behold it was Black Diamond. Keep trying any and all until your mandolin tells you which one it likes, and believe me it will.

I just ordered two sets of Mape's strings to try them out ! What i like about this 100 year old string company is that you van order any special gauge width you want

28. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post: