Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man I need a good tuner...

Default Re: Man I need a good tuner...

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    For those who used the older StroboClip ... is the HD one any significant improvement or just a better form factor/display/etc?
    I have both the older (silver) and newer (black) versions. I don't notice any real difference in accuracy or ability to pick up the sound in a noisy environment between the two. The advantage of the new one is the smaller size that's less conspicuous and easier to hide behind the headstock, and the display is also brighter and easier to see. Battery life seems about the same.

There is one thing I don't like about the new one compared to the original, and that's the tiny little nib on top that turns it on and off. It's tricky to find that little switch in the heat of battle with my large fingers. One time while fumbling for the switch, I managed to accidentally get it off the Equal Temperament setting. Tuning up sounded sour, and it took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on, in the middle of a session. I finally figured out how to reset it. The buttons on the old silver model were easier to use. It's not a major drawback, I just have to be a little more careful turning the new one on and off.

2. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Markus 

I use the D'Addario mini and I'm not happy with it. The Strobo HD appears to be the most accurate, but the Unitune seems easier to zero in on actually tuning. At about half the price, it's probably the way I would go. https://youtu.be/va-smVEXEfg

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I have both the older (silver) and newer (black) versions. I don't notice any real difference in accuracy or ability to pick up the sound in a noisy environment between the two. The advantage of the new one is the smaller size that's less conspicuous and easier to hide behind the headstock, and the display is also brighter and easier to see. Battery life seems about the same.

There is one thing I don't like about the new one compared to the original, and that's the tiny little nib on top that turns it on and off. It's tricky to find that little switch in the heat of battle with my large fingers. One time while fumbling for the switch, I managed to accidentally get it off the Equal Temperament setting. Tuning up sounded sour, and it took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on, in the middle of a session. I finally figured out how to reset it. The buttons on the old silver model were easier to use. It's not a major drawback, I just have to be a little more careful turning the new one on and off.
    I wondered about battery life. I do not have a spare in my case but I might consider it soon, actually, does it have a replaceable battery or is it recharged, I need to go look because I honestly don't know!

I got the one I posted above and the strobo plus hd around November last year and still haven't replaced the battery in the strobo clip hd. The pic above shows full charge. I do not, however, leave it on all the time. When I pull my mandolin out I check the tuning and other than weather-related changes I rarely have to do much more than a minor tweak to keep it tuned up. I do not use it on all the strings but get one correct and then adjust the rest from there. I also shut it off right after I do so and put it away. Do most of you leave yours powered on all the time you're playing?
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by B381 View Post
    Trying to find a good head stock tuner. I had a Snark, which was good but the arm attachment broke with use. Got a few D'addario's like in the picture I took. Also have the reverb, just pay shipping freebie.

The D'addario's are about 6 months old and are developing issues and becoming unreliable. The freebie works but is inconsistent with readings.

Recommend a good one for me.
    Change the batteries.

I have D'addario's and even the freebie Reverb tuner. The D'addario's are at least 5 years old and I've never ever had any trouble with any them. I do keep a small stock of 2032 batteries.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I've started using Airyware on a smartphone.

One thing about playing a Lyon & Healy Style A mandola is that there is absolutely no good place to put a clip-on tuner.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

7. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post

One thing about playing a Lyon & Healy Style A mandola is that there is absolutely no good place to put a clip-on tuner.
    Nothing wrong with using a phone app, as long as you are in a quiet place. I wonder if the D’Addario violin tuner might work on the body of your mandolin.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/DAddari...RoC9zoQAvD_BwE
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    I do keep a small stock of 2032 batteries.
    Sounds familiar to me. The D'Addario micro has a curious habit of indicating a low battery long before you really have to change it, but there comes a time when it shuts down on you in the middle of tuning.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicknut View Post
    I wonder if the D’Addario violin tuner might work on the body of your mandolin.

That is the same D'Addario micro I use (just with a shorter clamp for the headstock). I see that one once a month on a fiddle to my right in a session. I suspect that mandolins are deeper than violins, so the violin body clamp might be too short.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

“What I use” thread ... spot on.

I use two kinds of tuners. Cheap tuners for when accuracy is practically meaningless. This is not so often, but there are moments. Brand doesn’t matter. They’re easy to use, and cheap, and inaccurate (read EdHanrahan above). Who cares if one doesn’t last long? They’re cheap. I can give them away like candy to folk who just need a tuner (it happens often).

The other kind is the Stroboclip HD. It is my go to, because accuracy matters. It’s not so cheap and I can only afford one.

YMMV
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

12. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Change the batteries.

I have D'addario's and even the freebie Reverb tuner. The D'addario's are at least 5 years old and I've never ever had any trouble with any them. I do keep a small stock of 2032 batteries.
    I have..tried three different new batteries, same result.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

One other point, if you decide on a Peterson tuner, any of them, don't just run out and buy one. I got my last two, the Strobo Plus HD and the Strobo Clip HD, at the same time because of a sale they had, both and the metronome option on the Plus for under the normal cost of the plus. I kept an eye on the Peterson website and signed up for their emails and account etc. I saved a small fortune on the last sale. Just a heads up they do have them occasionally, the one at the end of last year was one of the best I 've ever seen from them and we are now moving into a holiday weekend. I haven't checked their site lately because I have three Petersons, those above and a 590 from many years ago, and really have no need for another but it might be worth a look.

I just checked their site and do not see a sale today but I would keep an eye out this weekend, you never know. I did see they have a new stomp coming out for those with pedal boards.

And if you want to try it you could try the app I use it sometimes also in a quiet room but you can get a clip for most phones to use with the app. I have used the clip into the lightning dongle from my phone and it worked really well.
    Last edited by John Bertotti; May-24-2019 at 9:27am.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Just a comment on the Polytune - at least the one I bought, "TC" maybe?

That think only has one degree of freedom on the pivot. It hinges up and down, but not side to side. Irritating!

That said, it seems accurate.

f-d
    ‘papα gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    That is the same D'Addario micro I use (just with a shorter clamp for the headstock). I see that one once a month on a fiddle to my right in a session. I suspect that mandolins are deeper than violins, so the violin body clamp might be too short.
    You're right. I just tried it on one of my mandolins and the clamp is just a bit too short. Oh well!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post

That think only has one degree of freedom on the pivot. It hinges up and down, but not side to side. Irritating.
    f-d
    I was going to buy one but the limited movement provided by the single hinge was a deal breaker for me. If I didn't already have the very nice Peterson, I still might have been tempted.
    Doug Brock

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    What I don't get is that many are impressed by tuners that "lock on" to a note easily, when all that really means is that the tuner has a wider tolerance of inaccuracy that a less-steady tuner might have. Sure, it's nice to see the green light, or the digital needle, sit there rock-steady, but that's often steady at a hypothetical range of, let's say, A = 439.9 to 440.1 (a range of +/- 10 cents), while a "less steady" tuner might only become steady w/in a range of, again just for example, 439.998 to 440.002 (a range of +/- 0.2 cents). Clearly, the "less-steady" tuner gives a more accurate result but it doesn't "feel" as rewarding to use - unless you listen crirically.
    I'll join the chorus of praise for this post.

I prefer the older silver Peterson, due to the on/off switch issue of the new ones that foldedpath spoke to. Other players have had the same issue.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    What I don't get is that many are impressed by tuners that "lock on" to a note easily, when all that really means is that the tuner has a wider tolerance of inaccuracy that a less-steady tuner might have. Sure, it's nice to see the green light, or the digital needle, sit there rock-steady, but that's often steady at a hypothetical range of, let's say, A = 439.9 to 440.1 (a range of +/- 10 cents), while a "less steady" tuner might only become steady w/in a range of, again just for example, 439.998 to 440.002 (a range of +/- 0.2 cents). Clearly, the "less-steady" tuner gives a more accurate result but it doesn't "feel" as rewarding to use - unless you listen crirically.
    Agree, an instrument of measurement should tell the truth, not a strong opinion. In real-world situations as with noise, other instruments playing, resonances within your own instrument etc I'd be suspicious about a machine actively ignoring all that.

I have the Peterson for the bench, polytune for the case. Long battery life, tuner is accurate. It's not a problem to simply clip it on at an angle, and you will be able to read it very easily.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicknut View Post
    I wonder if the D’Addario violin tuner might work on the body of your mandolin.

I use one on the fiddle. I can't remember at the moment if I have one on the viola or not. Mark O'Connor's band is using them, and I figure if they're good enough for Mark they couldn't hurt me.

But on the ones I've seen, the clamp isn't wide enough to fit a mandola body. Do they make one for a cello?

Ooh, what about this? Anyone tried one of these on an oval hole mandolin or mandola?

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

For long-term installation, there's also a D'Addario tuner that attaches to your tuning machines with a screw:

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/pla...ree-tuner.html

I don't know well this would work with typical 4-on-a-plate mandolin tuning machines. Seems to be designed with individual machines in mind.

I'm not gonna whip out my phone on stage.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

For long-term installation, there's also a D'Addario tuner that attaches to your tuning machines with a screw:

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/pla...ree-tuner.html

I don't know well this would work with typical 4-on-a-plate mandolin tuning machines. Seems to be designed with individual machines in mind.
    I'll have to try this. Should go with the single Gotohs on my OM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post

That think only has one degree of freedom on the pivot. It hinges up and down, but not side to side. Irritating!

That said, it seems accurate.

f-d
    Oddly enough, I thought that the single hinge would prove annoying, but it really hasn't. I originally got the Uni-Tune because I needed something with a display that I could see in bright sunlight (I've had trouble seeing the display on the D'Addario Micro during outdoor daylight gigs). The display is super bright (LED, maybe?), the easiest to see of any that I've used. And I just put it on at a slight angle (usually with the display on the front side of the peghead) and have no trouble seeing it.
    Mitch Russell

Peterson Stroboclip HD and or the original seem to be the most accurate. Biggest problem is the having folks borrow it and then needing to teach them how to read a strobe.

The TC models are good, but I find them very difficult to read in the sun. At least in strobe setting. Maybe need new batteries?

Korg Sledgehammer Pro is another one I like, but again is difficult to read in the sun.

I do often use less accurate models at home and then work on my ears to fine tune.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

The Korg GA Custom is a small handheld tuner and it is chromatic. It has a number of settings and is extremely accurate for its small size and relatively low price.

I'm not gonna whip out my phone on stage.
    Why not? Half the audience will have theirs out.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post: