Thread: Music from old iron mines

Default Music from old iron mines

Hey!

Here is little trip I made to old iron mines in Helsinki. The music is played with Bulgarian tamboura that is relative for mandolin and other plucked instruments like guitar.

There is some interesting stories included the history of these mines. Like that there is rumours where maybe some one were killed and sinked into one of those pits. You can see more in the video.

I hope you like it!

Kindest, Mikko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7G8FpTnehk

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikkoKarhula For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Music from old iron mines

Mikko - I enjoyed your vid and the music. Nice playing. The tamboura looks similar to the Greek bouzouki, and I expect it is a close relative. The mining pits you visited remind me of similar pits and mines where I lived in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. The mines were largely worked by your Finnish ancestors who came here in the 1800s and early 1900s to work the mines. I can see why too - The countryside looks identical to their homeland. To this day, you can walk in to restaurants and hear the locals speaking in their native tongue.

4. The following members say thank you to Steve-o for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    Mikko - I enjoyed your vid and the music. Nice playing. The tamboura looks similar to the Greek bouzouki, and I expect it is a close relative. The mining pits you visited remind me of similar pits and mines where I lived in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. The mines were largely worked by your Finnish ancestors who came here in the 1800s and early 1900s to work the mines. I can see why too - The countryside looks identical to their homeland. To this day, you can walk in to restaurants and hear the locals speaking in their native tongue.
    Hi Steve! That was wonderful to hear! Say hello to my "relatives".
    Yeah, bouzouki and Bulgarian tambura have relative roots. Tamboura is more simple in decoration and it has no octave strings. I love its down-earth qualities.

Thanks!
    Kindest, Mikko

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    The tamboura looks similar to the Greek bouzouki, and I expect it is a close relative.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikkoKarhula View Post
    Yeah, bouzouki and Bulgarian tambura have relative roots. Tamboura is more simple in decoration and it has no octave strings.
    Thanks for posting.

The Tamboura is tuned DGBE, like the top 4 strings of a guitar; the 4 course Greek bouzouki is tuned a whole step lower, CFAD, and as noted the C and F typically have octave stringing.

I assume it is also somewhat related to many similar instruments like the saz, tamburitza, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Thanks for posting.

The Tamboura is tuned DGBE, like the top 4 strings of a guitar; the 4 course Greek bouzouki is tuned a whole step lower, CFAD, and as noted the C and F typically have octave stringing.

I assume it is also somewhat related to many similar instruments like the saz, tamburitza, etc.
    That's right. I guess they are all kind of related.

cheers!