Thread: The (Still) Living Composer :-)

Default The (Still) Living Composer :-)

Dear mando-friends,

I recently went to the bank, asking for Date-of-Death valuations on my late aunt's accounts— a routine document, required by many tax regimes, especially in Europe. Instead, the bank promptly sent my wife a letter of condolence on my passing also informing her that my name had been removed from all our accounts.

Our world being as digitally interconnected as it is, I must hasten to assure you all, in aptly Mark-Twain-esque fashion, that rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. I would not be at all surprised if digital echoes of my passing reach you one way or another. But no; all commissions I have undertaken will be delivered shortly, as scheduled.

Beyond life, mors est quies viatoris, finis est omnis laboris. I intend to scribble as fast and furiously until that point in time. Considering that my great-aunt, the first professional musician in our family, just turned 107 this past Saturday, I may still have quite a while to go...

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

2. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

Default Re: The (Still) Living Composer :-)

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    Dear mando-friends,

I recently went to the bank, asking for Date-of-Death valuations on my late aunt's accounts— a routine document, required by many tax regimes, especially in Europe. Instead, the bank promptly sent my wife a letter of condolence on my passing also informing her that my name had been removed from all our accounts.
    Just so long as she hasn't changed the locks and sent your wardrobe to Goodwill, all will be well.

Back from the dead! Anything interesting in the afterlife?
    jim

Blog Entries

Up there with the greats;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	430BCF92-24A6-4690-847C-C1D212E1B0BA.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	162913
    “The report of my death was an exaggeration.”
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    Just so long as she hasn't changed the locks and sent your wardrobe to Goodwill, all will be well.
    Luckily I was walking in, feeling quite alive, roughly at the same time as the mail was arriving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doc James View Post
    Back from the dead! Anything interesting in the afterlife?
    jim
    So... a Greek composer walks up to St. Peter and [complete the joke at will].

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Up there with the greats;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	430BCF92-24A6-4690-847C-C1D212E1B0BA.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	162913
    “The report of my death was an exaggeration.”
    Don't know about greatness but I've certainly got one more zany story to tell.

For as much as I love the internet and all the platforms of communication that it has offered us— thanks to which, after all, I have made such wonderful friends as yourselves— I am also always troubled by our inability to set the record straight once something has been posted or circulated online. And we all know how everything makes its way to cyberspace...

Years ago, I was on a forum on Hellenistic, Greco-Roman philosophy— another of my lifelong interests. One day, two other members of that forum got into a heated argument and, with the best intentions of acting as a bridge over troubled waters, I stepped in between them and pointed out that both of them were partly right in their reading of Seneca's Epistulae Morales.

One of them took it well, the other one didn't. The one who didn't posted a separate thread, spelling out my full name, comma, "Therapist". I took no offense in his snide remarks and thought no further of it. Life is already aggravating enough at times, what with traffic delays, a daily avalanche of junk-mail, bureaucratic errors, what have you. I certainly don't go online to pick fights with people.

Years later, a friend from this forum wrote to me to ask how I was coming along in my new profession. You get the idea... I was happy to explain that I am still a musician— besides, being a therapist is also a profession that can make the world a better place as does music. But what if someone had followed my name with some really terrible attribute?

Hence my wish to assure you all that I am quite alive and well, and stem the quite possible flow of unnecessary condolences to my family on account of my passing— not a far-fetched scenario; by the time I visited the bank the morning after that piece of mail arrived at my home, the cogwheels where already in motion to inform my employer that direct deposit would be terminated shortly.

Back to reality, I have several mando-projects underway which I will be happy to share with you all as they are completed next year.

Cheers,

Victor

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

My deepest sympathy during this time of your digital demise.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I always suspected that financial transactions could kill you, but this is a new variation. Weapons of mass destruction at the fingertip of an underpaid bank employee.
    I hope they help you clean up the mess and move all your accounts to a different bank of your choice, with a bonus
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    Dear mando-friends,

Our world being as digitally interconnected as it is, I must hasten to assure you all, in aptly Mark-Twain-esque fashion, that rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. I would not be at all surprised if digital echoes of my passing reach you one way or another. But no; all commissions I have undertaken will be delivered shortly, as scheduled.

Beyond life, mors est quies viatoris, finis est omnis laboris. I intend to scribble as fast and furiously until that point in time. Considering that my great-aunt, the first professional musician in our family, just turned 107 this past Saturday, I may still have quite a while to go...

Cheers,

Victor
    Hah! That was why the $1,000,000 check I sent to you was returned. I was beginning to worry. :-)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Pa'lante, V.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    My deepest sympathy during this time of your digital demise.
    Thank you. I am touched.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I always suspected that financial transactions could kill you, but this is a new variation. Weapons of mass destruction at the fingertip of an underpaid bank employee.
    I hope they help you clean up the mess and move all your accounts to a different bank of your choice, with a bonus
    Data Management 101: All those little fields and boxes aren't all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Hah! That was why the $1,000,000 check I sent to you was returned. I was beginning to worry. :-)
    Dang! No wonder I was missing it... However, I will settle for a cup of Joe next time we meet, my friend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Pa'lante, V.

Mick
    Seguramente! Lots and lots of music to write...

Hilarious, Bertram...

Entirely too weird to see yourself dead on one database after another; imagine me sitting for an hour and a half next to the hapless bank employee who had to reverse all the ramifications of that original blunder. Poor woman...

I'd add Lazarus to my already long name but then I'd run out of boxes when renewing my driver's license.

Christmas, Death and Money - sounds like a true Scrooge experience

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Victor, so relived that there will not be a RIP thread on your behalf! It’s comforting to know that we can look forward to many more eloquent posts and “scores” of beautiful music!

...let’s see...since you’ll live past 100 that means about 75 more years worth?
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

So am I, Bill. Those eulogies are so dreary...

I won't hazard a guess on my longevity but I certainly intend to keep scribbling all fast and furiously for as long as I'm around. I have friends like you all to thank for encouraging me along the way.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays to all!

Victor