Thread: Jewel in the rough...

Default Jewel in the rough...

I was walking by an old junk shop the other day and something caught my eye. It was an old beat mandolin... I picked it up to have a look, it was really old but nothing that couldn't be fixed. It looked all original and the structure looked good. It's missing the nut and has some cracks. It has very nice inlay work and mostly all in tacked... I brought it to a Luthier today and he told me it looks like it's from the late 1800's or early 1900's. I think it's worth getting it restored so he is working on an estimate for me. It was made in Valencia, Spain at the Francisco Leon Zaballos Guitar Company. Nothing at all comes up for that company in Google so it wouldn't surprise me that it is 100 years old or so... Here are some pics of it.

If anyone has ever seen on of these or heard of the company please let me know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3375.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	108133

Name:	IMG_3376.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	108134

Name:	IMG_3374.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	354.1 KB 
ID:	108135

Default Re: Jewel in the rough...

My guess is that it isn't a mandolin, but a bandurria.

Name:	147px-Original_bandurria.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	108136

3. The following members say thank you to Jacob for this post:

Cool find!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

That looks like a nice old one. It looks in pretty good shape except for that crack on the top. If you are in Spain, I am sure you would have no problem finding proper strings for it. In the US Juststrings carries two brands. It is traditionally tuned : G♯, c♯, f♯, b, e and a. Personally, I would tune it like an octave guitar.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

boy ya all thaught a mandolin was kinda a bear to tune, I bet that thing is a Grizzly!

I bet it is even harder to play, what a stretch to make chords....

I believe that you prob play lots of open strings for chords, not chop chords as on a mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Definitely not a mandolin.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

You are right, it is in fact a bandurria... Looking into getting it restored now. I just hope they don't try to take me to the cleaners to get it fully restored and playable. I left it with a good Luthier to get an estimate...