Thread: 5 string octaves vs. standards

Default 5 string octaves vs. standards

I am considering buying a 5 string electric mandolin.

I have a Mann 4 string that I love more every year! Recently, as I have struggled to get my acoustic to play in tune, I appreciate it's incredible intonation. Though I had trouble with it at first, once I figured out how to adjust the bridge correctly and had some work done on the nut, I was able to get it to play nearly perfectly in tune.

However, I sometimes wish I had a wider range and more on the bass side of things. I have been thinking about getting a 5 string (EADGC) or a 5 string octave (BEADG). I have a few questions for those who may have experience with these instruments.

1) Is it harder to play with the longer scale of the octave? Do you have to adjust your technique dramatically?

2) How is the octave for bending strings? More similar to a guitar (i.e., looser feel)?

Thanks everybody!

-Peter

Default Re: 5 string octaves vs. standards

Peter,

I own many Mann electric mandolins ranging from 4, 5 and 8 string mandolins to 4, 5 and 8 string octaves. Everybody has their own preferences, but I have found that the 5 string instruments are really fun to play once you get the hang of them.

For me, hand size makes some of my octaves easier to play than others. I owned Jon's prototype 5 string baritone with a 17" scale, then moved to longer scale lengths for additional string tension. For my hands, a scale length of appx. 18" is very comfortable to play and does not require much change in technique. I have an 8 string octave with a 19" scale that I dearly love, but on a 19" scale I do have to think a bit because my pinky is not very long and some chords are a stretch.

And strangely, a 5 string mandolin with a low C string is a whole different animal than a 5 string baritone with a high B string. I like both but use them for different types of music. You can bend strings on either, but I have to admit that string bends on an octave are fun to do and sound really nice. You won't be sorry either way.

Scott

3. The following members say thank you to Emandojangle for this post:

Hi Scott,

Do you have a youtube channel or something like that where I can hear you play all those sweet instruments?

-Peter

Peter,

I don't have anything posted, as the small recorder I have is still sitting in the box in a closet. Too busy this summer to do much. However, if you go to Jon Mann's website and look at his YouTube channel, the tiger striped 8 string octave is one of mine (he plays Here Comes the Sun on it) and the matching 5 string baritone with the swamp ash back is also one of mine. He may also have a clip of my amber top single cutaway SEM5 mandolin and my amber EM4 semi hollow mandolin. Some of the others I own are on his archives page, but they do not have sound clips. I need to figure out my recorder and post a few sound samples when I get time.

Scott

6. The following members say thank you to Emandojangle for this post:

If you have access to a regular guitar, put a capo on the 3rd fret and try fingering a few mandolin chords without strumming. If you feel comfortable with the fret span, you can get away with tuning the highest three strings to mandolin tuning with the capo and give it a try.

It was enough to make me give up on that project: there is nothing wrong with the instrument, but it has to be played completely differently, especially if you have small fingers. Look at as many videos as you can and see if they are playing the music you intend to play. The octave seems to be a much more rounded solo instrument but not so hot at chords, but that is just my opinion.

8. The following members say thank you to buchrob for this post:

I have a 5-string mandolin and, from my experience, playing technique is quite different from a 4/8. The added range is very cool.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

+ you have choices .. CGDAE, or GDAEB, And FCGDA. and a lot of others

all 5ths up, 4ths down.. (like circle of 5ths)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture