Thread: right hand knuckles rub on strings

Default right hand knuckles rub on strings

As an old guitar player, I moved to the mandolin several years ago. Looking at videos on the web on right hand position, it appears I've been holding the pick wrong all these years. I always anchored my right hand with my pinky on the front face and palm on below the bridge. The videos suggest that I curl all fingers in and anchor only with my palm just below the bridge. This does seem to provide better control of the pick.

HOWEVER, when I do this while picking solos, etc, the knuckles on my 3rd and 4th fingers rub on the strings - after a while, they become sore.

I must be doing something wrong. Any advice??

Jim

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: right hand knuckles rub on strings

You are probably used to keeping a small amount of pick sticking out between your fingers toward the strings. Also if you are just learning a free hand position it does take some getting used to. Experiment with a "rounded triangle" pick also mandolin reguires a heavier pick than a guitar, double courses shorter strings, changing the position of the mandolin as you hold it may also make a difference in your angle of attack. THere is a bunch of stuff on YouTube about your question. Check out the Mike Marshall lesson on it. Luck .. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

You don't mention what type and size pick you use, but as mentioned above, using a larger pick might help with this. That is what mandolin players use the large triangular picks, to have a larger surface to pick with. The most common large size is known as the N0. 346 shape. The Fender 346 Extra Heavy is a commonly used pick.

Also, there really are no hard rules about how to hold the pick or whether or not you plant your pinky or rest your palm. I rest my palm on the bridge and actually rest the first knuckle of my pinky on the soundboard. Probably not the best technique, but I've been doing it that way for nearly 40 years. Do whatever is most comfortable for you and allows you to play the most fluid. There's no harm in trying what you might see on a video, but you really need to do what works for you.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

UsuallyPickin and mandobassman:

Thanks for the reply. I do have a rounded Wegen "mando" pick that is rigid.
    I'll take you advice and continue to try the new technique - I do find that my chop chord technique uses more wrist action, and I'll have to try to change to the curled finger technique for leads.

BTW mandobassman: I also have a J Bovier - F5.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimbowi View Post
    As an old guitar player, I moved to the mandolin several years ago. Looking at videos on the web on right hand position, it appears I've been holding the pick wrong all these years. I always anchored my right hand with my pinky on the front face and palm on below the bridge. The videos suggest that I curl all fingers in and anchor only with my palm just below the bridge. This does seem to provide better control of the pick.

HOWEVER, when I do this while picking solos, etc, the knuckles on my 3rd and 4th fingers rub on the strings - after a while, they become sore.

I must be doing something wrong. Any advice??

Jim
    Yup, my advice would be keep your 3rd and 4th fingers off the strings
    best/joe

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Curled fingers aka loose fist is ok. But after taking your pinky away from the top, you also must change the attack angle. Turn your hand counterclockwise a few degrees like you were turning a key; now your knuckles should be well out of the way. You'll also find that the pick is now hitting the strings harder, picking them like a bird's beak instead of limply brushing over - you have thereby discovered the secret of playing louder
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world