Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastman MD305

Default Eastman MD305

Hello, all,
    Sorry if this post is a bit redundant, but, I am looking for reviews-descriptions and feedback of the eastman MD305 A-style mandolin with F-holes. I am considering upgrading from a washbern I got for 200 bucks at guitar-center.
    The eastmans from the mandolin store come professionally set-up, which is a major selling point for me. The washbern I have is an A-style oval-hole mandolin.
    Just a few other things to consider:
    When the strings on the eastman (J74's) wear out, I would most likely be stringing it with some flatwounds because after trying the JM11's on my washber, I really like them. I also am playing around with using round-corner picks, I like the mellow sound they give.
    Any help would be really appreciated

Blog Entries

Default Re: Eastman MD305

I'm a fan of Eastman mandolins. The 305 should be an upgrade. I have an Eastman F-holed mandolin. I think it sounds fine with flatwounds (D'Addario FW74) and a Dawg pick.

The F hole will sound a good bit different from an oval hole.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

3. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

I recently made the decision to buy an Eastman MD 305 from the Mandolin Store, and it's on it's way as we speak (er, write)! I expect it tomorrow, and they recommend letting it sit in the case for 24 hrs. before opening to acclimate a little. So, when I finally get it and open it up, I'll let you know my first impressions. Right now I have a barely playable Fender laminate mandolin, so this should definately be an improvement for me.

I bought a 305 a fortnight ago and I love it. Check out my posts on here for general opinions on it. As I have said before, Eastman bottom of the line models are better than most producers' best. It is entry level but really all it lacks are some of the bells and whistles of other Eastmans. For my money it is the best basic mandolin in the world - in fact basic seems like an insult given it's solid body, sustain and playability.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamie S For This Useful Post:

--does it come with a humidifier in the case? I live in a desert and these days it's getting fairly hot. Could I have them put a humidifier inside of the case?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlindBard View Post
    --does it come with a humidifier in the case? I live in a desert and these days it's getting fairly hot. Could I have them put a humidifier inside of the case?
    I don't believe it does. I live in El Paso, TX, which is very hot and dry most of the time, so I will either get a dampit, or use a sponge in a soap dish with holes to humidify. I know a guy that has lots of instruments, mandolins included, and he swears by dampits.

--the instrument will be ok through shipping, though?
    Sorry, I really have an issue with taking care of instruments, I really hate the thought of something bad happening when there's something I could do to prevent it.

--the instrument will be ok through shipping, though?
    Sorry, I really have an issue with taking care of instruments, I really hate the thought of something bad happening when there's something I could do to prevent it.
    This is my first purchase with the Mandolin Store, but every post I've read here, and a guy I know personally who buys from them, recommends them from instruments through quality customer service. I'm pretty sure they will ship any instruments properly. To ease your concerns, maybe give them a call and discuss it?

The Mandolin Store is a great shop, really the best in the business.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cayuga red For This Useful Post:

Brian at the mandolin store was very helpful and knoledgible about mandolins. I'm really looking forward to buying this soon.

14. The following members say thank you to TheBlindBard for this post:

I have bought several instruments through The Mandolin Store and have always been very happy with their service. They are very caring folks and experienced and professional. You may find as good with some other Cafe sponsors, but you will not find any better.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

16. The following members say thank you to Sid Simpson for this post:

that's very good to know. I"ve seen some friends how they treat their instruments, with scratches and bangs and I can't but help cringe. I may buy that mando sooner than later- I was going to wait to see if by some slim chance, I won the contest.

I was going to wait to see if by some slim chance, I won the contest.
    I wouldn't worry about that, I got it locked up!

I owned the MD 305 for about a year and loved it . Never regretted purchasing it for a minute . Easiest mandolin I have ( yet ) played ....really love the mat finish, the tone and never had an issue with any aspect of the instrument . I may have upgraded the tuning pegs at some point....but that's pretty much it . I sold it to purchase another Eastman . I don't think you can do any better for the $$. Set-up and case included from the shop and a lifetime Eastman warranty ....a no-brainer IMHO .

20. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

Another md 305 fan here. I have had mine for a little over a year now and I still love it. Despite the cheap tuners, mine stays in tune incredibly well. The cheap tail piece cover did bother me and so I just removed it and used velcro strips to fashion a piece of black felt as the cover and I am happy with that.

I have been using Silk and Steel strings and a Wegen TF 120 or TF 140 pick and I think its a pleasant balanced tone. I think that beveled point helps me pick better on melody lines and since yo are mostly a melody player, you might want to give a beveled point a try.

Enjoy !
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Another md 305 fan here. I have had mine for a little over a year now and I still love it. Despite the cheap tuners, mine stays in tune incredibly well.
    Good point - it is incredible how long my strings stay in tune during a practice. I can get to the end of playing for two hours and they haven't budged.

Really like my 305 -- mine came with a soft gigbag which I passed on; it now rests in a harder case that I can humidify if I want. If you're worried about desert air, you can get a better case that has a humidifier in it and keep the soft gig bag (if it comes with one) for if and when you either sell it or need something soft to carry it about in temporarily.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

The ones on the Mandolin store come with a hard case. Currently discussing the idea with my parents. The mandolin player I met got his mandolin from "mandolin brothers" and I haven't looked into their store that much, but I am liking the mandolin store, the people who run it are very helpful and have told me a few things that have been of great help.

--edit--
    Are gig bags any use? I mean, if the hard mandolin case for the 305 is more shaped around the mandolin and smaller, it seems like that'd be just fine for traveling, not that I do that much
    Last edited by TheBlindBard; Sep-18-2013 at 5:09pm.

26. The following members say thank you to TheBlindBard for this post:

I would do with the hard case. the Mandolin Store sells tons of mandolins to Cafe members
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Well I might be a wee bit late but I love Eastman instruments. Especially the mandolins. I got my Eastman 315 from The Mandolin Store. I was a little worried about buying an instrument from the internet due to a good number of horror stories I had read. I did a lot of research and found virtually no bad reviews on either Eastmans or The Mando Store. When my instrument came I let it sit for 24 hours before unpacking it. I have been very very happy with both the people at TMS and with my mandolin. I got the prettiest 300 series I have ever seen and it plays great! It was packed very well and came with a hardshell case- a must for me. You shouldn't really be concerned about it drying out in transit but a humidifier would be a good idea to order with it. I really like the Oasis Case humidifiers and keep it in my case near the headstock. Let us know what you and your parents decide!

29. The following members say thank you to rastamypasta for this post:

My Mom really liked the F style mandolins, but she says that the 305 is a very beautiful instrument and she likes it. I had to tell her why F styles really aren't my thing (mainly the cost, and because I like A styles, remind me of lutes in a way).
    If I don't win the contest, gonna be ordering the new mando next week... most likely right when I wake up. Not sure if the website itself saves your credit-card info, if not, I'd have to wait or ask my rents. The humidifiers on the TMS are a bit pricy for me. I'll see if I can find any in-expensive ones at my local music store.
    I'm really looking forward to it and am trying not to name it yet. lol

The humidifiers on the TMS are a bit pricy for me. I'll see if I can find any in-expensive ones at my local music store.
    I'm really looking forward to it and am trying not to name it yet. lol
    A local guy here who fixes stringed instruments showed me a plastic clamshell type soap dish with holes in the top, and a wet sponge inside that he uses to humidify. I went to Guitar Center to look for one, and the guy there showed me a plastic box with holes in the top, with a sponge inside. Go figure! I like the Oasis & Dampit humidifiers (neither of which I own), but I just recieved my mandolin yesterday, and will use the soap dish rig until I can research and purchase something better.
    Last edited by Tommcgtx; Sep-19-2013 at 9:17am. Reason: typo

No need to spend more than a buck on a humidifier. A sponge cut in thirds stuffed inside a zip lock baggie with holes punched in it will do the job just fine.

33. The following members say thank you to shortymack for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
    No need to spend more than a buck on a humidifier. A sponge cut in thirds stuffed inside a zip lock baggie with holes punched in it will do the job just fine.
    +1

I'll definitely do that when I get my new mandolin