Thread: Troubadour Banjolin

Default Troubadour Banjolin

Hey folks, I have a Banjolin with Troubadour on the head. Any idea of its age or worth? It does need some work on the tail piece. It was bought about 60 years ago in Europe and made its way to Canada where it sat in a closet until now. Just some history on the instrument would be cool. Is it worth fixing up?

I posted some pictures here: http://oldbanjo.wordpress.com/2013/09/11/283/

Thanks,

jay
    "Blues are the songs of despair, but gospel songs are the songs of hope." - Mahalia Jackson

Default Re: Troubadour Banjolin

British banjo makers, later musical merchandise distributors, Barnes & Mullins are associated with banjos labeled "Troubadour"; according to the from British Banjo Makers web pages, they had a banjo magazine that was called The Troubadour, and currently they're selling Asian import banjos under that label.

However, this one, with its slotted headstock and "zero" fret, looks more continental-European than British. The resonator construction could be from a number of European (British, French, German) makers.

Worth fixing up? Depends on how much it would cost. It's not going to be as raucous as some mandolin-banjos, with its smaller body and calfskin head. Not a top-line instrument, but in pretty decent shape.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Allen beat me to it. Headstock and tailpiece look German to me, in fact I have seen some German-made tailpieces like that with the Italianate name of Marcelli.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Interesting information. Any guess of the time period? It seems they were popular in the 1920's, does that sound about right?
    "Blues are the songs of despair, but gospel songs are the songs of hope." - Mahalia Jackson

Hey,

I have the same banjolin and can not find much information about it.
    Do you have more info?
    Thank you

If you do decide to make it playable, I would redo the fret slots so that the pairs were closer together, making the courses farther apart.

OK, check out this thread's timeline. It started four years ago, and that's when the pics were posted. (By the way, I assume you mean "nut slots" rather than "fret slots.")

The British Banjo Makers web pages are down, so it's harder to do additional research on Barnes & Mullins and their Troubadour brand. Here's a fairly short article on the company, which mentions the Troubadour brand.

I would advise flower1 to Google "Barnes & Mullins," the vintage British firm that owned the Troubadour trademark, for more info -- but beware: as is common with other vintage labels, some current distributor has acquired both the "Barnes & Mullins" and "Troubadour" nameplates, and is importing Chinese-made bluegrass banjos to Europe under that label. Most of what you'll find in an initial Google search will be about them.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM