Thread: K ive read all the tips etc 4 g chop

Default K ive read all the tips etc 4 g chop

And i still can not make it. So if i plant my pinky 1st, i can get the ring finger down but not the index nor middle. They want to slide down two frets. Its almost as if they wont bend that way. If i position my index, middle and ring finger first, i cant reach the pinky. I tried the "learn the a chop chord first" i have the same issue as with the g. I tried the learn the b chop chord. Nope same issue. So i took a pix. And was wondering if anyone could give me some input but i cant figure out how to post the dang pix. So 2 parts how can i post the pix and pls b4 i go insane someone help me with this silly chord. Or tell me my hands rnt going 2 b physically able to accomplish it. Thanks much!!

Default Re: K ive read all the tips etc 4 g chop

It just takes time and practice and a lot of patience. There's no substitute. Everyone here had a hard time with it when they were starting out, and it can take a while. Start as far up the neck as you need to in order for your fingers to reach all the notes, and take all the time you need to get your fingers in the right position and then play the chord. Then take your fingers off and do it again. Over time you'll get faster at putting your fingers into their proper places, and you'll also be able to start sliding back down toward the G chord. Every string instrument I've played has required similar challenges. It's very frustrating at first, but it eventually becomes second nature.

dave

Quote Originally Posted by davidtoc View Post
    It just takes time and practice and a lot of patience. There's no substitute. Everyone here had a hard time with it when they were starting out, and it can take a while. Start as far up the neck as you need to in order for your fingers to reach all the notes, and take all the time you need to get your fingers in the right position and then play the chord. Then take your fingers off and do it again. Over time you'll get faster at putting your fingers into their proper places, and you'll also be able to start sliding back down toward the G chord. Every string instrument I've played has required similar challenges. It's very frustrating at first, but it eventually becomes second nature.

dave
    Thanks Dave for the encouragement. The issue I am having is that even when I move the chord position all the way up the fretboard, I still am unable to place the fingers in the proper position--I have the same issues as I mentioned above. And this is true even when I use my right hand to place my fingers in the proper position. Either the index and ring finger want to slide down two frets (if I place the pinky and ringer fingers first), or the pinky can't not reach (if I place the index, middle and ring finger first).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	106544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	106545 here are two pix wonder if anyone has any suggestions. Yes I know practice but, what if you can't get the proper position to practice?!thanks again

David nailed it; just keep trying, trying and trying some more. It will come. We have all gone through this. Be patient and focused. If this does not work, take two aspirin and call me in the morning. Good luck. Honestly, it will come.

To post photos, click the "manage attachments" button underneath the reply text box. It will open a new window where you can upload a photo. Then click "done".

A photo will really help here. I suspect you're probably not angling your hand properly to be able to reach, and you're trying to get it by spreading your fingers apart, but I could be wrong.

Without your mandolin in your hands, are you normally able to curl your index and middle fingers tight enough to touch the pad of your hand with your fingertips (not your actual palm, but the pads just at the base of your finger joints)? If you have limited flexure or stiff joints, this could be limiting your ability.

*edit: wow, I was slow on the response. Lots happened while I was typing!

Yes I can with considerable effort touch the pad just at base of fingers with the index and middle finger. I can not with ring or pinky. I posted two picks. I don't know that helps much. I do have limited flexibility in that my fingers do not bend back much if that makes sense. I normally have a pretty wide stretch thumb to pinky...but once fingers are curled, my pinky would like to curl towards the pad of my thumb and certainly not stretch away. In fact I can't even force it to stretch away. Is this some muscle that will develop or do I have messed up hands? Lol.

I don't know if this is the problem, but you can move your thumb -- it does not have to be anchored where you have it in those pictures. I don't have a mandolin handy but I will take a look at what I do.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

OK, now having looked at the photos, here's my take (others may disagree):

First, you need to get playing on your fingertips, not the pads of your fingers. The chop chord requires your fingers to arch over the strings (especially that pinkie). You've got to get more flexure going in that last joint of your pinkie so it can arch over. You likely also need to trim your fingernails shorter in order to play on your fingertips.

But more importantly, it looks to me like you need to get your hand out from under the mandolin's neck so much, and give your fingers the freedom to reach. The pad of your hand just below your index finger in your first photo is way under the neck, which is limiting you. I suspect you may be doing that because it requires so much effort to curl your finger, or you are uncomfortable playing on your fingertip. But it may be preventing the rest of your hand from letting the fingers arch over and reach the frets.

It also appears that you need to rotate your hand a little bit. Actually, no. Keep those pads just below your fingers in place, and try twisting your forearm a little. It will help line up your pinky with its target fret, and you should be able to reach it by extending it and arching it, rather than trying to pull it out sideways. Your pinkie and ring finger really don't have to spread apart to do a chop chord. You just have to get your hand in the right alignment to let them reach.

9. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Ok, thanks! I will give it a go. Yes those nails do need to be trimmed...I'm traveling and forgot my nail clippers but not my mandolin. Lol. And yes I have a hard time with curling the last joint so I can play on my finger tips. If my fingers are extended there seems to be no muscle to make that last joint curl downward if that makes any sense. I can do it with my index and middle finger usually and when I play scales but once more than one finger is in action I seem to loose the ability to curl that last joint down on all fingers. Weird but there u have it. Is this a common problem for newbies?

I believe that through repetition you'll be able to train all four of your fingers to act on their own. It takes some time for that pinky to stop behaving like the ring finger. Do some practicing with four finger closed position scales (ffcp) and you'll be in good shape before you know it.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Tobin has given you great advice! Get that palm farther away from the neck immediately!
    Don't give up. You'll get there.

Also see my post #18 on this thread.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I've been OK with a similar, lay the neck in the palm of your hand , thing,
    for decades..

though I rarely use the DGBG, as that 4 note chord . 7557 works too DGDB ..

& the minor DGDBb
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks for all the advice. I was on garden duty for my mom today so didnt have a chance to try out all the suggestions. I get the fiddle suggestion and have tried that; pinkie still doesnt make it to that last note yet but I see that I am not far off. It's i think that my ring and index finger need more flexibility so I will work on that. I know that my hands have some mobility issues but I think I can gain some flexibility. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to post a pix of their hand in the g chop position but without a mandolin in their hand so I can see where their fingers hit on the pad of the hand? That I think might help me understand where I am falling short...literally. Lol. Thanks again!