Thread: Vivaldi: concerto for two mandolins

Default Vivaldi: concerto for two mandolins

I thought some of you might be interested in this score for the Andante from Vivaldi's Concerto for two mandolins in G major.

The backing was originally on one violin and one cello both played pizzicato, here I've changed this to a mandola (could also be a third mandolin) and either a guitar/OM/mandocello/cittern. The latter part I've taken down an octave from the original and also added slightly more variation (though you still might dies of boredom playing it!)

Score attached below, I also have a MIDI rendering of it:

This was created with an experimental mandolin-based soundfont I started a discussion on here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vivaldi__Andante_From_Concerto_for_2_Mandolins_(RV532) mandolins.pdf  

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tavy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Vivaldi: concerto for two mandolins

Thanks a lot John -- we may try this at one of our forthcoming rehearsals. If it's easy for you to do in your notation software, would you be able to generate individual parts, and make the mandola part in octave treble clef? Like most UK groups, we have the octave mandola which doesn't work well with alto clef.

Thanks!

Martin

I agree with Martin! That's a beautiful arrangement and I'd love to try it with my group as well. If it's not a lot of work, individual parts would be a big help....
    Thanks!

Here are the individual parts, note that the mandola part is in treble clef as it actually inherits from the original violin part. You could play it an octave down but it might clash with the forth part (which is intended for OM). I forgot to mention that the "plain vanilla" version without my changes is online here: you can easily tweak this any which way you want in Musescore.

While I'm at it, here it is re-rendered with the 'dola part an octave down (isn't MIDI great?)

Vivaldi__Andante_From_Concerto_for_2_Mandolins_(RV532) om.mp3

I had a first play through this yesterday - it's an immensely fun tune - the A part isn't too bad (other than some large stretches), the B part going to take quite a bit of work to get the timing down though!

I have to say I've found Vivaldi's mandolin works very enjoyable, most radio stations seem to only play the fast sections played at 90 miles and hour which leave me cold, but these slower sections are reasonably approachable and very catchy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vivaldi__Andante_From_Concerto_for_2_Mandolins_(RV532) mandolins part 1.pdf   Vivaldi__Andante_From_Concerto_for_2_Mandolins_(RV532) mandolins part 2.pdf   Vivaldi__Andante_From_Concerto_for_2_Mandolins_(RV532) mandolins part 3.pdf  

Vivaldi__Andante_From_Concerto_for_2_Mandolins_(RV532) mandolins part 4.pdf  

6. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Beanzy 

This is a discussion with some variations including a 4-piece (2 mandos, a mandola, a Mandocello/Cittern) renditon. The timing is tough...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...098&do=discuss

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    I forgot to mention that the "plain vanilla" version without my changes is online here
    Ooh... whatever you do, don't listen to the midi on that page. Tempo is too fast IMHO and (of course) mechanical sounding. This should be played nice and easy with feeling, beauty and sweetness. When we played this in Aonzo workshop on year, Carlo had the accompanying parts played using the flesh of our thumbs instead of picks. Super soft.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have wanted to learn Vivaldi's Mandolin concerto in G major for a long while but the difficulty of the piece has made me put it off well I have learned the Largo so now on to the rest of this great piece which I feel will take me quite a long time but I have to be brave and practice practice practice much thanks for the music .
    steven shelton

I believe the second note of the 2nd part should be G# in the Guitar part.

Quote Originally Posted by wundo View Post
    I believe the second note of the 2nd part should be G# in the Guitar part.
    Darn! Yes you're quite right, it goes to E major there rather than the Em everywhere else.

Hi I have been trying the Vivaldi piece and I thought it would be difficult and it is coming along quite well , just been taking each section at a time , I can read music and even though I can I still am learning ; For a long time I wanted to play Vivaldi so my practice goes on and I am having a great time learning this piece much thanks
    steven shelton

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmando View Post
    Hi I have been trying the Vivaldi piece and I thought it would be difficult and it is coming along quite well , just been taking each section at a time , I can read music and even though I can I still am learning ; For a long time I wanted to play Vivaldi so my practice goes on and I am having a great time learning this piece much thanks
    Me too: first section I have memorized and can play moderately badly, second part is harder because of all those repetitive runs, it's a very catchy and fun tune to play though