Thread: What's your LINE?

I keep running into the same situation, over and over. All mandolin players must run into this at some point or another...but it's happening a lot to me lately, and I've yet to figure out just the right thing to say in response.
    Here's the situation.
    I was playing here today in the dorm, and a maintenance guy came by to do some work in the bathroom. Older gentleman, nice guy, etc, etc. He comes in, looks at me, and says "That's an awful little guitar for such a big guy!" (I am a big guy...)
    I've also had some young ladies walk by the room and compliment me on how nice I play the ukulele. This happens more often than I'd care to mention (well, the uke part, heh!)
    I wanted to say "no, you idiot, it's a mandolin"...then I realized: man, I need a stock line that I can give people, something clever and friendly, to inform the uninformed.
    So does anyone have a line that they use when this situation arises?

I use a polite, "No, it's a mandolin."

This generally works, but sometimes I have to explain the tuning, etc. It also is understandable because some of my mandolins DO look like guitars/ukes. Whatcha gonna do? It doesn't really bother me, I guess.

Oh, and I have also done the tried and true, "Yep." And then kept on playing. That works too.

You have to realize - they dont really CARE what it is, they're just making small talk. Or, if they're complimenting you, so what if they get it wrong!

Allow me to suggest: "It's a mandolin."
    I was once camped at the Galax fiddler's convention near Steve Bennet. He often had his 1908 harp guitar sitting out in a stand. Many people walked by, saw the unusual instrument, stopped, and said something like "what the heck is that?!"
    It was starting to get old! The same old questions, the same old jokes...I was starting to wonder why he kept the harp guitar where people could see it instead of hiding it in the case to avoid the questions.
    Steve's responce was always the same: A friendly smile and the words: "It's a harp guitar." He didn't insult the intelligence of the curious passers by with some witty "come back", or try to make them feel ignorant for not knowing. I gained respect for him, and a lesson in life from the experience.

How about, "Yes, but I have a really big , so I can play a little guitar."
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

A guitar that was washed and not Sanforized.

Quote Originally Posted by
    I use a polite, "No, it's a mandolin."
    That's really the best answer, IMHO. I think it's good when players do what they can to educate people about the instrument. I also think it is good to have a interesting "elevator speech" about mandolins for people who show a little interest.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I just think it's cool you have human contact during the day and get to play your mandolin.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Ditto
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

EVERYBODY knows the mandolin is a chick magnet. So you may want to work on your line with that in mind...

I always use.."actually, it's a mandolin...which is kinda a violin without the bow" ....followed on occasion with the explanation of how there are really only 4 string but paired up for more volume etc.
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

While you continue to play simply say "mandolin". Most likely they will ask "what", then fill them in with the info.
    Lee
    Lee Hill

Thanks, guys...more of a vent than anything really, appreciate all the input!