Thread: Chris Thiles "Essential Techniques" For Mandolin"

Default Chris Thiles "Essential Techniques" For Mandolin"

Can anyone tell me more about this learning method? Is it for beginners, intermediate or advanced? Can it be downloaded to view on a lap-top? I don't have a VHS or DVD player.

Thanks

Default Re: Chris Thiles "Essential Techniques" For Mandolin"

Hi Eric,

I have this am already a guitar player, so I found the DVD doable, I learned " ode to a butterfly" " hop the fence" and transcribed " raining at sunset" which he performs at the end. The DVD IMHO is valuable for any mandolin player. You can download it from the homespun website and watch it on your laptop.

Hope this helps.

Hi Eric- the Essential Techniques was originally released on a VHS with a booklet by the famous Homespun Tapes company, and now it's available as a DVD-with-booklet or – perfect for you – a download with a .pdf. You can get it through this <http://www.mandolincafe.com/ondemand/>, which I believe helps support this site. Every video has a little sample, which is helpful.

It's a pretty good DVD, I would definitely say it's more for intermediate players. He offers his ideas on fundamentals of picking and then demonstrates lots of shifting scales and other exercises, then plays through some solos he was famous for at that time. If you are just starting mandolin, I would recommend the Mike Marshall fundamentals downloads, also available through Homespun.

Thanks guys....I already play guitar as well and used to play mandolin quite a few years ago. I'm looking to get back into the saddle with my mandolin playing sand have a more well rounded dvanced technique this time around as soon as I get my new mando.

Personally,i think the DVD was aimed at more advanced players. 'Ode To a Butterfly' isn't a tune for the faint hearted. It was the firstDVD that i bought as it was the only one in the store & i found it valuable for the 'peripheral's ie.how to hold a pick,keeping your wrist limp etc. I have to say that it was pretty inspirational as well.Whatever your playing standard,it's well worth having,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Cool....I played mandolin in the past....I think it won't take me long to get back up to speed, however I want to learn more fluid, advanced techniques.