Thread: New song from "The Warren G. Hardings" - What do you think?

Question New song from "The Warren G. Hardings" - What do you think?

Seattle-based band "The Warren G. Hardings" just made this video for a competition sponsored by Ninkasi Brewing. Give them a listen and see what you think! Interesting? Too progressive? Youngins doing it all wrong? All opinions valid. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIAMB0ZyIbc

Default Re: New song from "The Warren G. Hardings" - What do you think?

Not my cup of tea, the guitarists sounds like he is thrashing a washboard.

Everybody's ahead of the beat except the bass ... not too sure about him because I can't hear him that well.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Since you´ve allready taken all the sound criticism there is, I´ll make it short.

The music makes me nervous. There´s no drive (like above, Martin Stillon´s coment). It´s way to fast for the musicians (like Mike´s coment about the guitar).

While I accept your musical idea, I do not see you pull it through. I would like to hear the lyrics sung clearly (which I didn´t do myself tonight...). I think that the beat has to be percieved, meaning that everybody has to have the same beat. I think it is important not to overplay (like everybody trying to cam something into a line). Try to keep a rythm going. That´s the bass players and the guitar player´s part. The mandolin provides the "drum" and the banjo does the "carpeting". Bass on the one, guitar on one (bass note) and two (chord), mandolin on two (except when you do a more complicated rhythmical thing) and the banjo covers the music (think Thelonious Monk). I don´t hear that here.

I hear a lot of chord banging from the guitar, a lot of not song-music-related banjo-rolling, the bass is constantly moving without giving a steady pace and the mando is all over the place.

Mind you, mine is the "very" traditional bluegrass aproach. But I´ve found that very valuable for a lot of musical styles.

I won´t coment on the vocals because I can´t hear real harmony singing. If you want to pour soul into your singing, find your tempo first.

What I liked is the way the music went. But I think a lot could be enhanced/bettered if it went more slowly and and musically.

What I fiind the most difficult is to follow advice. I find that I sing off key a lot, sometimes I play too fast, sometimes I stray away from the melody a lot... You get the drift. It´s all a learning experience.
    Olaf

Some aspects of this are actually pretty musical. Some parts are familiar(during the lead in and later also, you can sing If I Had a Hammer to it), but there is a lot of riz. The verse melody and meter are reminiscent of Kodachrome. The chorus is where the over-strumming really needs to be addressed the most. Guess I'm willing to listen to anyone's take on grass, and yes, this particular cut of grass/grunge fusion feels pretty frenetic and a bit disjointed. But you know that it is being played in that fashion in an attempt to define a personal style or to push the envelope. In the latter case it does not seem to me to do so. However, I am sure they had a pretty good time doing it. That counts for something in my book.

Scott

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

I usually think of myself as pretty open minded..............

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

...yeah, but did they win the beer?

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

I wish I could view your video, but I work on a military base that BLOCKS Youtube. Anyway, I did some research and found some songs you've recorded. I really enjoy the song 'The Pines'. It is fast, but I like fast. Good luck to the Warren G's!
    Cheers,
    Dale