Page 31 of 68 FirstFirst ... 627282930313233343556 ... LastLast

Thread: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Default Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

I do think that a hollowbody electric does sound different than a solid body regardless if it has soundholes or not. The air space provides some resonance that would be different from a solid dense piece of wood.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hopefully I will get the story right. If I make errors I’m sure I’ll be corrected.

As I understand it the story behind Gretsch making guitars with painted on f holes was a result of their association with Chet Atkins. He wanted hollow bodies without holes for his signature models to reduce feedback. Gretsch guitars traditionally had f holes and they thought that their guitars wouldn’t look right without them. The painted on f holes were a compromise so that Chet could get what he wanted and the “look” could still be preserved. The models that come to mind that had the painted on f holes were the Country Gentleman and the Tennessee Rose.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Hopefully I will get the story right. If I make errors I’m sure I’ll be corrected.

As I understand it the story behind Gretsch making guitars with painted on f holes was a result of their association with Chet Atkins. He wanted hollow bodies without holes for his signature models to reduce feedback. Gretsch guitars traditionally had f holes and they thought that their guitars wouldn’t look right without them. The painted on f holes were a compromise so that Chet could get what he wanted and the “look” could still be preserved. The models that come to mind that had the painted on f holes were the Country Gentleman and the Tennessee Rose.
    I think this may apply here too, without ff holes the feedback potential would be reduced.

Not that Chet had anything to do with it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I just had to check this out. here's a pic of a Chet Gretsch. You can see the glare on the "f-hole".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gretsch_G6122-1958.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	167866
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Still looks pretty cheesy on that thing Jim pointed to, along with so many other aspects of it. Doesn't look like a very professional lutherie job to me. I probably wouldn't have it at any price - well, maybe $20 tops. Yeah, I'd give $20 for it.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

... As I understand it the story behind Gretsch making guitars with painted on f holes was a result of their association with Chet Atkins. He wanted hollow bodies without holes for his signature models to reduce feedback. Gretsch guitars traditionally had f holes and they thought that their guitars wouldn't look right without them....
    My man tells me that modern Nascar race cars have painted-on headlights and other 'trim'. He says they do that to increase aerodynamic efficiency so that the cars perform better - and at the same time, the race teams (and their sponsors) want the viewers to see cars that look like 'normal' cars that a person might find for sale at a regular new-car dealership. The idea being that fans might wish to buy a car that *looks* similar to their favorite drivers' cars they see performing well on the racetrack, even if most everything "under the hood" (and suspension etc) is entirely different. Basically a marketing decision to keep audiences happy. So, the race cars *look* like regular street cars, as long as one doesn't look too closely to see the painted-on details.

That's what he says, anyway - I have not Googled it to see if he's right.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, the correlation I see with musical instruments would be similar - a painted-on feature to simulate something that audiences expect to see (which might help to promote sales of that instrument), but the actual feature being removed for some technical reason related to public performance (feedback, in this case).

7. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    My man tells me that modern Nascar race cars have painted-on headlights and other 'trim'. He says they do that to increase aerodynamic efficiency so that the cars perform better - and at the same time, the race teams (and their sponsors) want the viewers to see cars that look like 'normal' cars that a person might find for sale at a regular new-car dealership. The idea being that fans might wish to buy a car that *looks* similar to their favorite drivers' cars they see performing well on the racetrack, even if most everything "under the hood" (and suspension etc) is entirely different. Basically a marketing decision to keep audiences happy. So, the race cars *look* like regular street cars, as long as one doesn't look too closely to see the painted-on details.

That's what he says, anyway - I have not Googled it to see if he's right.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, the correlation I see with musical instruments would be similar - a painted-on feature to simulate something that audiences expect to see (which might help to promote sales of that instrument), but the actual feature being removed for some technical reason related to public performance (feedback, in this case).
    Hmmm... I was thinking of painting flames on my mandolin, but on second thought I don't want to tempt fate.
    We are the music makers,

9. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

I pretty much hate the way ebay tracks anything I view and tries to hawk it through my email, but I thought this was pretty funny. They're notifying me that I can now save $3,795.00 by purchasing this item I happened to view a couple times. Who can argue with saving nearly $4k?

Save $3,795.00 for a limited time!

You viewed at $4,995.00. It was just discounted to $1,200.00.
    Make an offer to strike an even better deal.

- YouTube Stuff

I used a similar technique, by accident, on eBay about 10 years ago. I had an item I was trying to sell at $800 and it was listed for probably a year with no sales, just a few "watchers." I got tired of it and lowered the price to $500 and it sold that very day!

Unfortunately, in this case, it is doubtful the mandolin is worth $200, let alone $1200........,IMHO.

So, the race cars *look* like regular street cars, as long as one doesn't look too closely to see the painted-on details.
    A friend of mine was an engineer on Danica Patick's team on a couple circuits she raced in immediately prior to her move to NASCAR. He had pictures of what is under the bodies of those vehicles. As he put it, they are aircraft built upside down. The frames are completely carbon fiber composite with all the parts, like tie rods, etc. shaped aerodynamically, computer designed and simulated and wind tunnel tested. The bodies are polymer composites, seats molded and form fitted to the individual driver. All the suspension, tire and engine parameters have full real time monitoring and telemetry with the ability to adjust things like suspension stiffness remotely on the fly. The cars are capable of being driven remotely from the pits though that is not done per league rules.

They are nothing at all like production vehicles in any way.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    A friend of mine was an engineer on Danica Patick's team on a couple circuits she raced in immediately prior to her move to NASCAR. He had pictures of what is under the bodies of those vehicles. As he put it, they are aircraft built upside down. The frames are completely carbon fiber composite with all the parts, like tie rods, etc. shaped aerodynamically, computer designed and simulated and wind tunnel tested. The bodies are polymer composites, seats molded and form fitted to the individual driver. All the suspension, tire and engine parameters have full real time monitoring and telemetry with the ability to adjust things like suspension stiffness remotely on the fly. The cars are capable of being driven remotely from the pits though that is not done per league rules.

They are nothing at all like production vehicles in any way.
    I am reminded of the Pixar movie “Cars” when the “working cars” see that pretty much anything on “McQueen” are all stickers, and gets the nickname “Stickers”.
    Yep, there “ain’t no “stock” in stock car racing”
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

===========

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Cut the price by 75%, and it will sell tomorrow . . . . otherwise, I hope they have plenty of closet space for this to sit for a while.

Oh, is that what "art" is. I had previously been misinformed. Not so much from an Art Colony as a Colony of Slippermen.
    We are the music makers,

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Bucket, please.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

If all I saw was the front, I might be able to tolerate it (briefly!) even though the creator put six 'strings' on it:

Name:	00N0N_5MzM2FFp6Qv_600x450.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	168898

But they lost me once I saw the back. That poor non-mandolin is in desperate need of being hauled out & put in drydock to have the barnacles (or whatever those lifeforms are) removed:

Name:	00L0L_7mRZZuHYfqI_600x450.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	168899

One wonders what brand of actual old instrument lurks beneath the parasitic lifeforms that caused its unfortunate demise.

Ummmm...."tacky" comes to mind.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Last two words of the description are spot on ... "rare item" ... thank heavens.

- YouTube Stuff

Well, it’s “pushing some buttons” around here!
    Sorry, I’ll go to my corner now.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    barnacles
    I knew it, something made me think this would look good with Jack Sparrow - that was it.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

25. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

===========

At first look I thought this poor creature was covered with upside down bottle caps . . . upon second look, I think that might have been an improvement . . . .

Calling Dr. Sandra Lee! (Some of you will get the reference...)
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

The only place I can think of that would be a good place to display this would be an antique store in the jewelry display.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    The only place I can think of that would be a good place to display this would be an antique store in the jewelry display.
    I don't know. Have you seen pics of the interior at Mar-A- Lago? I think this would fit right in.
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!