Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best inexpensive Tenor Banjo

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

Default Best inexpensive Tenor Banjo

In your humble opinion what is the best inexpensive Irish 17 fret tenor banjo on the market today for a beginner player?

Default Re: Best inexpensive Tenor Banjo

A Deering Goodtime is a pretty safe bet.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

There are 1920's Vegas floating around, a friend of mine has a Bacon B 17 fret. The N style vegas go for about $400...

Don't know anything about the Bedford Banjo Shop in PA, but this page lists a bunch of used tenors at very reasonable prices, including a Slingerland for $200.

Might be worth a call to check 'em out.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanh you Allen for the Bedford Banjo link. I note they have a brand new made in USA Deering 17 fret for 399. That is a lot of bang for the buck IMO.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I really like the Goldtone IT250 17 fret tenors - I played and open back one that was selling used for $300 a few years ago and still kick myself that I didn't buy it, very good sound, and easy playing as well.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I agree with Jill -- the Gold Tone IT250F (that's the resonator model) is good value for the $$ and you see them new on eBay quite reasoanbly priced. I had one and liked it a lot, but traded "up" to a vintage 19-fret Epiphone Recording A. Other fairly good players I know who still have them, like them. Gold Tone also makes a low-end Cripple Creek 17-fret Irish tenor model, but I have no idea what they're like -- similar to the Deering Goodtime perhaps (?).
    Too many instruments...too little time

Destroyer of Mandolins

I have three Gold Tone instruments (including a tenor) and will agree that they are remarkably good values for the money. Deering, Bacon, Vega, and Slingerland strike me as the sorts of things beginners have for their second or third banjo. They are all great instruments of course, but in my experience any big name banjo that can be bought for the price of a new Gold Tone needs enough work and replacement parts that the cost quickly exceeds the Gold Tone, which is ready to play as a new instrument. The used banjo market is not a place I like to visit without experience.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

The vintage banjo market can tricky for unaware buyer, a put together mismatched hodge podge of pot, neck, tailpiece is what one may ends up with as opposed to a brand new beginner quality. It is not like a tenor guitar that can not be readily taken apart and put back together left over junk parts.

I think new or slightly used may be the best approach. I'll keep looking for a returned one.cccc

Plus 1 on the Gold Tone, I have thought about getting another many times but everybody really likes the sound and it is easy to play and requires hardly any maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Cod Struggler View Post
    ...a put together mismatched hodge podge of pot, neck, tailpiece is what one may ends up with as opposed to a brand new beginner quality...left over junk parts. I think new or slightly used may be the best approach. I'll keep looking for a returned one...
    You have a point with regard to some "vintage" instruments -- and I can't criticize since my main gigging banjo is an old Regal tenor pot with a homemade long "Pete Seeger" five-string neck.

However, the banjos at that PA shop, as far as I can tell from the pics, are restored "originals." And, while I do agree with Tim about the quality of Gold Tone instruments (I have a travel banjo, a "banjola" five-string mandola, and a cello banjo by Gold Tone), I disagree that you'd need to wait until a "second or third banjo" to get a Deering, Bacon, Vega or Slingerland. Most of these firms make -- or made -- "student" model banjos (the Deering GoodTime is a widely played current example, as is/was the Vega Little Wonder); these were decently made, un-ornamented for the most part, "plain Jane" instruments.

If you can pick up a well-restored Slingerland for less than a new GoodTime, or perhaps even the Gold Tone, you should be at least even in terms of construction. Plus it has a chance of appreciating in value, as a vintage banjo, whereas the Gold Tone, if purchased new, depreciates as "used."
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Deeding Goodtime, and replace the stock head with an upgrade Remo Fiberskyn head. Great tone and playability for the money!
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

All due respect to Ted, I don't think I'd go with a Fiberskin head for Irish music.
    Steve

Plan to visit the Vintage Fret Shop in Ashland, NH and what what David has in vintage tenors and compare them to the new ones he has. Like seeing the instrument, been burnt too many times with "like new, excellent shape, vintage" internet bargains.

A piece of advice if you decide to go with a used or vintage banjo: Get one with geared tuners. Friction tuners on old banjos are very problematic. Another issue is that the holes in the headstock are drilled so close to the edge that there is no room to install geared tuners if you want to upgrade.

Great advice on the tuners and vintage headstocks. I have a set of Five Star geared tuners if I go that route. Still looking for a set of small diameter post size geared tuners for my Gibson TL 1 Tenor Lute.

Quote Originally Posted by KanMando View Post
    A piece of advice if you decide to go with a used or vintage banjo: Get one with geared tuners. Friction tuners on old banjos are very problematic. Another issue is that the holes in the headstock are drilled so close to the edge that there is no room to install geared tuners if you want to upgrade.
    I've installed geared tuners on a 1925 Bacon B and on a 1928 Vega N... no problem. There's a thread in the Tenor Banjo User Group on which tuners to get... Five Star tuner might require enlarging the post holes, there's a set that has smaller posts...

I have an old Orpheum No. 1 and think it's great - there is a nice one in the classifieds -
    NFI

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/66214
    Roger Skipper F5 -
    AES London 5-string
    Girouard A-style Mandola
    http://auroracelticmusic.com

19. The following members say thank you to mjb128wv for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Cod Struggler View Post
    In your humble opinion what is the best inexpensive Irish 17 fret tenor banjo on the market today for a beginner player?
    This one (NFI):
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/66256

As a beginner I would say a new Deering Goodtime as you are considering is a safe bet. It is a great starter banjo which has a good resale value. Some folks don't like the looks of the tuners but they work just fine. I think it would be difficult to go wrong with one. My wife has played one for about seven years and is happier with her Goodtime than she is with me.
    Bart McNeil

Buying a new instrument is like buying a new car, expect to take a hit when selling/trading it to move up. The advantage of buying a 'good' used instrument is you'll likely keep its value if not appreciate so when it's time to move up you won't lose financially. Also, a used instrument will already be 'set up' and playable out of the case... However, if you must have a Guarantee and an absolutely new instrument and you don't mind writing off 30% to 40% of its value (because you intend keeping it forever - and who doesn't) then a new instrument is the way to go - it may even appreciate in 60 to 100 years.

I'm pretty happy with my old Kay tenor. Maybe I just got lucky, as these generally are not well regarded. I picked mine up on ebay for about $100. It came to me in pieces and in need of a set up, but after putting it back together and putting new strings on it, it soumds great and is actually quite loud. My only complaint would be the friction tuners. They really are a pain to keep adjusted properly so the banjo will stay in tune.

Quote Originally Posted by KanMando View Post
    That's some good advice. I got my Deering Goodtime Special tenor with the 'upgrade' planetary tuners solely because they look cool and I've been kicking myself ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    That's some good advice. I got my Deering Goodtime Special tenor with the 'upgrade' planetary tuners solely because they look cool and I've been kicking myself ever since.
    Planetary tuners are geared. Wonky description of how they work on this page.

I would concur that geared tuners, planetary or otherwise, are a wise choice. Quite a few of the older student-grade banjos had "friction" (un-geared) tuners, and while we experienced types can cope with them by gritting our teeth and making minuscule adjustments, there's really no need to do that if one can avoid it.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    ...My wife has played one for about seven years and is happier with her Goodtime than she is with me.
    Upgrade ahead. HAS kicking in...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world