Thread: Does anyone recognize this

Default Does anyone recognize this

I learned this from a Boys of the Lough record long ago, and recently worked it out on mandolin (been playing since last September). I have no idea what it is called.

nigelgatherer

Default Re: Does anyone recognize this

They called it "Auchadon House" and it was presumed to be from Shetland, having been featured on the School of Scottish Studies Shetland Fiddling LP. However, it's actually called "Haughton House" and it was composed by a James Mitchell. Scots fiddler James Scott Skinner published his version of the tune, along with his variations.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nigel Gatherer For This Useful Post:

I think that's it, with some minor differences (maybe due to my fading memory).

nigelgatherer

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nigel Gatherer For This Useful Post:

Lovely, thanks!
    Collings MT0
    Morgan Monroe MVA-1

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

I have this tune in a hand-out sheet I got when Tony Cuffe from Ossian was running a trad class in Cambridge, Ma.
    There, he calls it the "Wedding March From Unst" and identifies it as a Shetland tune.
    Steve

nigelgatherer

In the prestigious LP release by the School of Scottish Studies, "Shetland Fiddle Music" (1973) it states, "Auchdon House...This Scottish tune is used in Unst for the Grand March...when the three principle couples - Bride and Groom, Best Man and Best Maid and 'the married folk' formally open the wedding dance. However, it's not from Shetland and it's not that old - I would say late 19th century at its oldest. I have a copy of the original printed sheet music where it is called "Haughton House, Air with Variations. The Melody by James Mitchell, Arranged and Variations Added by James Scott Skinner (The Strathspey King)". Inside it says, "From the Caledonian Collection".

Nice to know that background, Nigel. Thank you.
    Steve

X:1
    T:Good Natured Man
    C:
    N:
    L:1/8
    Q:382
    M:4/4
    K:C
    d2 g2 bg d2 | gd Bc dB G2 | AB cd ed cB | AG ^F2 E2 D2 | d2 g2 bg d2 | gd Bc dB G2 | \
    AB ce dc BA | GB AD E^F G2 | g2 bg d2 gd | Bc dB G2 AB | cd ed cB AG | ^F2 E2 D2 d2 | \
    g2 bg d2 gd | Bc dB G2 AB | ce dc BA GB | AD E^F G2 Bc | de dB ga g^f | e^f ec ab ag | \
    ^fg fd gf ge | ^fg af de fd | g2 bg d2 gd | Bc dB G2 AB | ce dc BA GB | AD E^F G2 de | \
    dB ga g^f ef | ec ab ag ^fg | ^fd gf ge fg | a^f de fd g2 | bg d2 gd Bc | dB G2 AB ce | \
    dc BA GB AD | E^F G6 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/

parts of it, anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Jaekel View Post
    Good Natured Man
    parts of it, anyway
    I've tidied up the abc a bit, Werner:

X:1
    T:Good Natured Man
    L:1/8
    M:4/4
    K:G
    d2 | g2 bg d2 gd | Bc dB G2 AB | cd ed cB AG | F2 E2 D2 d2 |/
    g2 bg d2 gd | Bc dB G2 AB | ce dc BA GB | ADEF G2:|/
    |:Bc | de dB ga gf | ef ec ab ag | fg fd gf ge | fg af de fd |/
    g2 bg d2 gd | Bc dB G2 AB | ce dc BA GB | AD EF G2:|

The Good Natured Man is a variant of the tune known in English music circles as The Steamboat Hornpipe. I think this is probably an older tune than Auchadon House (If the title is anything to go on, it would date from late C18th, when steamboats were something new - also contemporary with the fiddler and composer, James Hill, to whom the tune is sometimes attributed). It seems likely that the said James Mitchell had The Steamboat somewhere in the back of his mind when he wrote Auchadon House. A good tune, nevertheless.

13. The following members say thank you to whistler for this post: