Thread: wiring single humbucker

Default wiring single humbucker

Looking for help on this. I used this diagram to rewire my Almuse classic pickup.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2hum_1vol_1tone_3way.indd.jpg 
Views:	134119 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	100500
    But the volume pot does nothing. Otherwise great; no hiss or buzz, tone knob works great. Sounds like volume is wide open, but turning the knob does nothing at all.

Any ideas?

I'll send a personal appeal to Pete, but wanted to cast the net wide. I'm planning to use this thing tomorrow night.

Thanks!

Default Re: wiring single humbucker

GO here http://www.almuse.co.uk/ go to mandolin pick ups and click on tech.pdf download

3. The following members say thank you to rico mando for this post:

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Bit of a mystery that one......Although I`m now making the Classic as a 4 wire (easier to produce), the older ones are two wire humbuckers so the red core signal wire goes to the left volume tag (black in the SD diagram) and the braided shield goes to ground....might be worth trying a different pot....

Best of luck!
    Cheers,
    Pete

5. The following members say thank you to Soundfarmer Pete for this post:

Blog Entries

I would bet that there is a blob of solder shorting the two tabs on the volume pot.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

7. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Well, I had my wires mixed up. Re-did the connections with the scheme from the Almuse site, and that clue about the RED wire. (Thanks Pete.)

But it's still not right. Now the volume pot works but the sound is thin; like only one coil hooked up. I tried a different pot, just in case, but no go. My guess is that I still have the wires mixed up. I loved the sound yesterday! Big fat full sound, but the volume pot didn't do anything.

Maybe I should mention (if it isn't already obvious) that I really don't know anything about electric wiring or pickups. Learned some basic soldering in 7th grade (1967) and I can follow directions if they are simple enough. I put a guitar together recently with this same wiring: one humbucker, one volume, one tone and no switch. That works perfectly, BUT it only had two wires from the pickup. Basically idiot-proof.

p.s. Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I don't think that's the problem but I DO think Blob of Solder could be a good name for a band. Blob O'Sodder ? Blah Ba Solder?
    Last edited by Bill Stokes; Apr-03-2013 at 8:57am. Reason: forgot to say...

Bill, Is your pickup a 2 wire or 4 wire?......(or have you modified the pickup wiring)?

10. The following members say thank you to Soundfarmer Pete for this post:

It's 4 wires. I haven't modified it.

I soldered the tips of the green and white wires together and taped them off. Soldered the black and the shielding wire to the back of the volume pot. Ran the red wire to left post of volume.

Throw an on/on/on switch in there for some variety. If you could post a photo of the actual assembly then we might be able to help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring diagram.jpg 
Views:	6774 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	100530

13. The following members say thank you to thistle3585 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stokes View Post
    It's 4 wires. I haven't modified it.

I soldered the tips of the green and white wires together and taped them off. Soldered the black and the shielding wire to the back of the volume pot. Ran the red wire to left post of volume.
    Sounds like you have a Moongazer......whatever, the wiring scheme is the same as Seymour Duncan - I did this intentionally since the SD site offers a plethora of wiring diagrams......
    Red and white should be soldered together....you have the two coils "fighting each other"!

Worth checking Andrews wiring diagram and fitting a switch - he`s had plenty of experience with Almuse humbuckers.

15. The following members say thank you to Soundfarmer Pete for this post:

GOT IT!! Everything works and it sounds so good: big sound, no buzz or hum. Volume and tone knobs do their respective jobs.

So now it is wired just like I had it before, except with a different volume pot. Thank you Pete! Also thanks Andrew Tom and Rico.

(It is a Moongazer pickup; sorry about that. This is some persistent mix-up in my brain.)

I put a switch in there last Summer when I got the kit. But I got intermittent hiss/buzz with my Roland amp, which has the effects I want for this mando. (Plus, I always seem to accidentally bump the switch. Same with guitars. I prefer one neck pickup, no switch. Use effects processor or stomp box for variety.)
    The hiss was probably the result of some sloppy connection I made. But I don't hear it now. I'm happy.

At some point I'll do this job over again with new pots and wire. It's not as clean as I'd like, from so many re-tries.

Thanks again, Pete.

17. The following members say thank you to Bill Stokes for this post: