Thread: Pedal Board Woes

Default Pedal Board Woes

Hi all!

Over the past year, as I've been trying to learn to play the electric mandolin, I've also purchased a few effects pedals. I bought all Boss products, since I knew of the company and they seem to have a good name, and they are relatively cheap.

I am particularly fond of the Boss sustainer/compressor and the DS-2 distortion pedal. I also have a noise suppressor, octave pedal, and a '59 Fender Bassman pedal (All from Boss).

While performing with a friend I found it difficult to haul around these pedals individually and charge the batteries before each gig. So I went out and purchased the BCB-60 pedal board. I played with it a few times before I stopped gigging recently. However, now when I use it at home I am having huge problems with buzzing and humming noises.

I have searched the internet and can't find a solution. Any ideas?

Some of the strange behavior I have witnessed from my current "rig:"

When I play with recharge-able batteries, there seems to be no problem.

When I run the cables directly into the pedals (Skipping the input jack and tuner on one end and the pedal board output on the other) the problem persists but is much less noticeable.

If I am not touching the mandolin, the buzzing is noticeably louder. But as soon as I touch the metal parts of the mandolin (especially when running the cables straight into the pedals - as mentioned above) the buzzing decreases.

I have swapped out all the cables and also made sure that I was using different power sources for the amp and the pedal board. No improvement.

Should the power source be "three-pronged" or is that not important? I know there are sometimes issues with grounding. How can I make sure the pedal board is grounded?

This problem only seems to occur in my apartment... though I really need to take the pedal board elsewhere to be sure.

Anyhow, I am completely confused and would be grateful for any suggestions or ideas as to where I might be able to get an answer to this question.

Cheers,

Peter

Default Re: Pedal Board Woes

One more thing - when i adjust the volume nob that also impacts the buzzing. When i turn the volume all the way down here is no buzz when i turn it up to about 75% the buzz is at it's loudest and when the volume is a full the buzz gets slightly softer,,, strange!

Even in recording studios with regulated power, isolation, etc, a single coil will buzz. The wiring of the building is a factor. Stand facing your amp holding the mando in playing position, then very slowly turn around. At some point in this turn you will find a spot where the buzz reduces a bit.

TV's and computer monitors, lighting, will affect the sound. Turn those off.
    Check your effects chain, sometimes an individual effect adversely affects the others.

After doing the above, your noise supressor may be more effective in eliminating buzz without cutting notes off. Put the supressor last in the chain, preferably in an effects loop.

If it's a standard guitar pickup, there are a lot replacement options. The Dimarzio Pro Track works great. If its an old Fender or new Mando Strat, Seymour Duncan makes a hum cancelling replacement.

Which electric are you playing, and what type of pickup?

4. The following members say thank you to John Eischen for this post:

Just because a building has 3-prong plugs doesn't mean it's wired properly. In fact many older buildings have the 3-prong plugs without a ground wire attached. I wouldn't be surprised if some new buildings were also done this way to cut corners. As mentioned by John, external interference from things like computer monitors will cause problems. Neon lights are particularly problematic.

If, as you say, everything is fine on batteries and the problem on comes into play when you're on AC, then it's definitely with the AC power in your location. What you're describing seems to me to be a grounding issue.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

6. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

try the reverse ground or ground flip switch on the amp. also an added wire to the bridge inside the instrument can help

8. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

Hi John,

Thanks for the response! I have tried to eliminate all possible sources of interference. However, the problem persists. I am using Dimarzio Pro Tacks, I think. I am playing a Mann 4-string. I am wondering if the problem is with the pedal board. Maybe the internal wiring has some issues... I also don't know how I could ground my power.

The problem persists regardless of my position relative to the amp.

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by John Eischen View Post
    Even in recording studios with regulated power, isolation, etc, a single coil will buzz. The wiring of the building is a factor. Stand facing your amp holding the mando in playing position, then very slowly turn around. At some point in this turn you will find a spot where the buzz reduces a bit.

TV's and computer monitors, lighting, will affect the sound. Turn those off.
    Check your effects chain, sometimes an individual effect adversely affects the others.

After doing the above, your noise supressor may be more effective in eliminating buzz without cutting notes off. Put the supressor last in the chain, preferably in an effects loop.

If it's a standard guitar pickup, there are a lot replacement options. The Dimarzio Pro Track works great. If its an old Fender or new Mando Strat, Seymour Duncan makes a hum cancelling replacement.

Which electric are you playing, and what type of pickup?

The building is probably not wired properly, since this is China, and almost nothing here is done "properly" - it's more like the bare minimum of functionality. My power adapter doesn't have three prongs though, so that should matter, right?

How can I ground my power supply? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Just because a building has 3-prong plugs doesn't mean it's wired properly. In fact many older buildings have the 3-prong plugs without a ground wire attached. I wouldn't be surprised if some new buildings were also done this way to cut corners. As mentioned by John, external interference from things like computer monitors will cause problems. Neon lights are particularly problematic.

If, as you say, everything is fine on batteries and the problem on comes into play when you're on AC, then it's definitely with the AC power in your location. What you're describing seems to me to be a grounding issue.

I will check and see if my amp has one. I have a cheap Chinese amp.

I am playing a semi-hollow-mandolin with no holes. So I can't put anything inside. Do you mean just attach a wire to the bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeous View Post
    try the reverse ground or ground flip switch on the amp. also an added wire to the bridge inside the instrument can help

Blog Entries

Since your AC hum decreases when touching the mandolin it is already grounded.

The AC adapter is worth testing to see if it is providing enough power. I recall a Boss pedal I had showing some AC hum when running on an adapter that was not an approved model.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Quote Originally Posted by Wupeide View Post
    The building is probably not wired properly, since this is China, and almost nothing here is done "properly" - it's more like the bare minimum of functionality. My power adapter doesn't have three prongs though, so that should matter, right?

How can I ground my power supply? Any thoughts?
    Get 2 alligator clips attached to a length of wire. Clip one end to the chassis of your amp and the other to a water drain pipe. I've had to do this in my building and it works like a charm.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -