Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Goodin mandolin duets

Default Re: John Goodin mandolin duets

The editions are now available on my blog, on the updated post about the Walsh volume. As announced, I will also publish on a separate thread.

2. The following members say thank you to happyfanaticsalsero for this post:

Default The Old Basement Piano

Some of you may have missed John's announcement of his new free tunebook -- 64 original mandolin tunes, all with harmony parts and chords, including many I have already recorded in this thread:

http://www.mandotopia.com/MayFrost.html

This is a new one for me, a very atmospheric waltz:

The Old Basement Piano

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

I just downloaded John's new book and played through a few tunes and immediately made a donation. I want to thank John for making some of his books available for free with a suggested donation -- his pieces are gems that everybody should explore, regardless of ability to pay. Well done!

6. The following members say thank you to dhbailey for this post:

Martin, thanks once again for another fine recording of one of my tunes. "The Old Basement Piano" sounds really good. Thanks also for the mention of my new tunebook.

David, thank you very much for the kind words (and your generous donation!). I hope that you and many others will enjoy at least some of the tunes in the new book.

I think my friends here in the "classical" forum are really the kind of audience I had in mind when I decided to write harmony parts for each of the tunes. I imagine two, three or more players sight-reading the tunes at comfortable tempos and playing around with the parts and the chords. Anything goes!

John G.

8. The following members say thank you to John Goodin for this post:

An additional thank you, John, for knowing how to lay the music out properly! I have an Epson WF7620 printer which duplexes automatically and I simply had to use Adobe reader (could have been any PDF reading program) to print on both sides, and May Frost printed perfectly, with melody and harmony for the longer songs on pages facing each other. Too many other people who self-publish their music don't take such issues into account and I've had to spend way too much time inserting blank pages to get the necessary pairs of pages to face each other. Your book printed perfectly and makes for excellent duet playing.

So a great big thank you for taking us performers into account when you publish your music! Just yesterday I had several private music students reading tunes out of May Frost as sight-reading exercises (one clarinet student, one tenor sax student and one flute student) and they worked beautifully.

10. The following members say thank you to dhbailey for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
    An additional thank you, John, for knowing how to lay the music out properly! I have an Epson WF7620 printer which duplexes automatically and I simply had to use Adobe reader (could have been any PDF reading program) to print on both sides, and May Frost printed perfectly, with melody and harmony for the longer songs on pages facing each other.
    Indeed -- that's what I've done as well. Printing the PDF double-sided and ring-bound makes a perfect tunebook.

Martin

12. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post: