Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 477

Thread: New Fender Emando

  1. #51
    Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,774
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Tiny Moore played a Bigsby, not a Fender - were there any famous players of these?
    I can think of one in particular...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jethro_Burns.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	96967

    Larry

  2. #52
    Mandogenerator Mike Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Tiny Moore played a Bigsby, not a Fender - were there any famous players of these?

    Just curious.
    Jethro Burns!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jethro_Burns.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	96966

    Or sam Bush!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web-Sam-Bush-electric.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	96968

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6114251.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	96969

  3. #53
    Mandogenerator Mike Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    If I remember correctly (probably not) that in a previous issue of the Fretboard Journal, Sam Bush has a new Fender Mandocaster, from the custom shop, with a tremelo bridge. Sam said that it throws the whole thing out of tune if you use it. But it would be a cool option.

  4. #54
    Martin Stillion mrmando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    11,621

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Alex Gregory! Davey Johnstone! John Kruth! Marshall Crenshaw!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

    Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

    Donaldson • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Old Wave • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

  5. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    I think it's great that you can get an electric Mandolin with great potential in that price range. But, in all honesty, do you really think it looks good? I find it a bit tragic. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I just find that thing ugly. I prefer mine.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Electric_Mandolin_cedar_neck_1.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	96976
    Last edited by Ian H Weston; Jan-16-2013 at 5:36pm. Reason: picture position

  6. The following members say thank you to Ian H Weston for this post:


  7. #56
    Registered User jefflester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,181

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    John Paul Jones
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fender_mand_02.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	96977

  8. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:


  9. #57
    Martin Stillion mrmando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    11,621

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    The emando market needs a gateway drug, and this is the latest. There's still a place for instruments like Ian's; they're just not entry-level for most folks.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

    Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

    Donaldson • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Old Wave • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

  10. #58
    ISO TEKNO delsbrother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Caulifonya
    Posts
    3,098

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    I'm kinda curious why everyone is so GASed about this one.

    The bridge ... snip...

    ...Is it really just about getting one just like the original with Fender on the headstock, warts and all?

    Just curious.
    By your line of reasoning, there should be no reason for Teles, or SGs, or Rickenbackers, or F5s for that matter. And yet.. People still buy them. Funny, eh?

    It's also about the price point. If these were coming out of the custom shop at $3K a pop I don't know how many of us would bite (I mean, how many of us have Rickenbacker electrics?). At sub $400, you could mod the heck out of the things and feel no remorse.

  11. The following members say thank you to delsbrother for this post:


  12. #59
    wood butcher Spruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Orcas Island, Washington
    Posts
    6,172

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    I'm kinda curious why everyone is so GASed about this one.
    There are tons of folks (I'm one of them) who have always been charmed by the Mandocaster, but not charmed enough to fork over the kind of dough they have been going for over the decades....

    This is a chance to stick one in the quiver for not a lot of $$$...

    I've been waiting for Fender to do this for quite awhile...

  13. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:


  14. #60

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian H Weston View Post
    I think it's great that you can get an electric Mandolin with great potential in that price range. But, in all honesty, do you really think it looks good? I find it a bit tragic. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I just find that thing ugly. I prefer mine.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Electric_Mandolin_cedar_neck_1.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	96976
    Ok, well - that is kinda gorgeous, Ian!
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

  15. #61

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    John Paul Jones largely played a bat-wing Harmony from the shots I've seen.

    Sam who?

    Quote Originally Posted by delsbrother View Post
    By your line of reasoning, there should be no reason for Teles, or SGs, or Rickenbackers, or F5s for that matter. And yet.. People still buy them. Funny, eh?

    It's also about the price point. If these were coming out of the custom shop at $3K a pop I don't know how many of us would bite (I mean, how many of us have Rickenbacker electrics?). At sub $400, you could mod the heck out of the things and feel no remorse.
    When I was coming up, Tele's were for those who couldn't afford a real guitar. I really don't understand the attraction to them by current generation other than they are waxing prophetic for all things old. Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's good. That said, I did finally get a Telecaster but I got the Aerodyne Tele which, IMHO, fixes everything wrong with the standard Tele design.

    I just so happen to have a Rickenbacker 650 Sierra - 24K Gold plated hardware and all. It's the meanest, rawkingest guitar you'll ever find.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    There are tons of folks (I'm one of them) who have always been charmed by the Mandocaster, but not charmed enough to fork over the kind of dough they have been going for over the decades....

    This is a chance to stick one in the quiver for not a lot of $$$...

    I've been waiting for Fender to do this for quite awhile...
    I would think this is the right answer. While I don't tend to agree - I buy instruments to play, not for their charm - but I understand quite a few people might find these offerings attractive.

    Like I said, just curious.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

    - ---==< V >==--- -

  16. #62
    Registered User Dan Margolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    I have an original, from '65 I think. I had Armadillo Machine Shop in Austin TX make me compensated saddles a couple of years ago. Unfortunately he didn't have the instrument in hand, so the offsets for the saddles are my best estimate. The intonation is much better than it was originally. I love the way it (and the reissue) looks, and the neck on mine is just spectacular. This reissue is going to be great, I think.

    I'd like to see one in Candy Apple Red. Much nicer than battleship gray, imho.
    ______________________________
    Your problem is, you think you have enough time.

  17. #63
    Registered User Sergio Lara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Original 1966 and 1965 models

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05916.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	97014

    Love my '65; great feel, nice vibe, killer sound...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sergio_Lara2.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	97015

  18. The following members say thank you to Sergio Lara for this post:


  19. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    Ok, well - that is kinda gorgeous, Ian!
    Thank you.

  20. #65
    Martin Stillion mrmando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    11,621

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    When I was coming up, Tele's were for those who couldn't afford a real guitar.
    I dunno... Bruce Springsteen and Albert Collins did OK with theirs.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

    Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

    Donaldson • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Old Wave • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

  21. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:


  22. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,341

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    PS I have an acoustic amp for my acoustic-electric mando ... would I need an "electric" amp for a mandobird/fender/ etc?

    thanks
    To take full advantage of the electric capabilities, you'd want to get an "electric" amp, IMO. I have a 30W Roland Cube and a Fender "Mini-Mustang" that work pretty well with my Mandobird. I like the Cube better, but I think it sounds better turned up a little. Bought the Mini-Mustang to use as a travel/practice amp, and it works very well for that application, I'm just still learning all of the presets on it. It also has a USB line out, so it plugs into Garageband, which is a lot of fun to play around with (or whatever recording software you choose to use). Someday I'm going to invest in a good tube amp for the tone, but just don't need one at the moment. For the record, I got the Mustang for about 120 bucks, the Cube for 250 (I think, it's been a while since I bought them)...so, you don't have to blow a tone of cash to get a functional in-home option (both also have line outs, so you can plug them into a PA if desired).
    Chuck

  23. #67
    wood butcher Spruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Orcas Island, Washington
    Posts
    6,172

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    When I was coming up, Tele's were for those who couldn't afford a real guitar. I really don't understand the attraction to them by current generation other than they are waxing prophetic for all things old.
    Awww, man...
    Teles do things no other electric guitar can do...
    The workin' man's Swiss army knife...

    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's good.
    True.


  24. #68

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Awww, man...
    Teles do things no other electric guitar can do...
    The workin' man's Swiss army knife...

    Tele purists laud the fact it's a 1-trick pony. But it's always followed by "it's a great trick." I find a Strat does 99% of what a tele can do, with or without the hum, plus a ton of stuff a tele can't do and all in a body shape that's much more comfortable than a Tele slab.

    Relicing is much like pre-washed jeans IMHO - it's a way for "noobs" to try and show some street cred, as in, "look at me, I've been around so long I got holes in my jeans and a factory beatup 'relic' guitar."

    If you really dig that look do what we used to do back in the day - toss your guitar without a case in the trunk of a 56 Chevy [along with assorted tools and stuff also lose] and drive over bumpy country roads for years on end. Me - all it makes me want to do is try and "fix" the poor thing.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

    - ---==< V >==--- -

  25. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:


  26. #69
    ISO TEKNO delsbrother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Caulifonya
    Posts
    3,098

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Sheesh. Is it NAMM yet?

  27. #70
    Registered User Dan Margolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    The Tele, a "one trick pony"? Springsteen, Gatton, Don Rich, Roy Buchanan, Ed Bickert, Hellecasters, Richard Thompson, Brent Mason, Scotty Anderson, Keith Richards, and on and on. This argument is absurd. Back to the Fender electric mandolin.
    ______________________________
    Your problem is, you think you have enough time.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan Margolis For This Useful Post:


  29. #71
    Crιateur des e-mandos Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grantham U.K.
    Posts
    464

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Margolis View Post
    The Tele, a "one trick pony"? Springsteen, Gatton, Don Rich, Roy Buchanan, Ed Bickert, Hellecasters, Richard Thompson, Brent Mason, Scotty Anderson, Keith Richards, and on and on. This argument is absurd. Back to the Fender electric mandolin.
    Most guitars are "one trick ponies"...until they`re plugged in....
    The difference is in the choice of amps, pedals, the skill and experience to get the most from them and last but not least, the fingers.....and I would suggest the same applies to electric mandolin ;-)

  30. #72
    wood butcher Spruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Orcas Island, Washington
    Posts
    6,172

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Tele purists laud the fact it's a 1-trick pony. But it's always followed by "it's a great trick."



    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    I find a Strat does 99% of what a tele can do...


    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post

    Relicing is much like pre-washed jeans IMHO - it's a way for "noobs" to try and show some street cred, as in, "look at me, I've been around so long I got holes in my jeans and a factory beatup 'relic' guitar."


    Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    If you really dig that look do what we used to do back in the day - toss your guitar without a case in the trunk of a 56 Chevy [along with assorted tools and stuff also lose] and drive over bumpy country roads for years on end. Me - all it makes me want to do is try and "fix" the poor thing.





    OK, back in a week with some pics of that new Fender...
    Anyone want me to focus on anything in particular?

  31. #73

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Man, do some of you people get uptight or what? Geez. Not everybody likes the same things - get over it!

    I'll be dropping by Fender next week as well. I have one of the 90's MIK Fender 5-strings, so it'll be interesting to see the differences, if any.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

    - ---==< V >==--- -

  32. #74
    wood butcher Spruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Orcas Island, Washington
    Posts
    6,172

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    Yeah, you're right...
    Sorry...
    Hope to meet you at NAMM...
    I'll be the one unscrewing the pickguard on that Fender to get a better look...

  33. #75

    Default Re: New Fender Emando

    No worries. I'll be around the Pigtronix booth - main hall between Music Man and Rickenbacker - most of Saturday and off/on over the rest of the show. I believe The Music Link is just up the way, so I'll be keeping an eye out to see who pops up over there - Greg Rich maybe? Dave Koltai/Pigtronix did a bunch of stuff with Thile and the Punch Bros. over the summer, so I'm bringing my video camera just in case they drop by and do some jamming. That's the coolest part of the show - all these celebs drop in the demo chair and just wail through the pedal board. Some amazing stuff goes down!! I'm stoked!!

    Drop by and say "hi" - I'd love to meet up with everyone who's going. And if you see someone videoing you taking the pickguard off, don't worry, I'll keep it a secret LOL.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

    - ---==< V >==--- -

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •