Thread: Kentucky mandolin price ???

Default Kentucky mandolin price ???

I recently noted that the selling price of Kentucky mandolins (the lower end ones, new and used) rise quite a bit compared to a year ago.
    Does anyone know exactly why ?

Default Re: Kentucky mandolin price ???

Hello,

The cost of manufacturing and transporting is climbing rapidly. In fact, the new 2013 Kentucky dealer price increases just went into effect today. It will take a little while for everyone to update their pricing, but expect to see almost everything go up this month.

At the lower price points, the transportation costs will be as big of a factor as the cost of the mandolins.
    Average cost to ship UPS/Fedex just went up an average of 5%+ across the board, but smaller package will be hit the hardest. With increases in address correction, residential delivery and rural surcharges, most mandolin sized shipments will be more like 7-10% more for the seller to ship in 2013 vs 2012.

This also applies to inbound shipping of not just the mandolins, but accessories that may be bundled (like free cases). A good portion of a cases cost is freight related.

Lastly... A lot of dealers that were trying to compete by offering the lowest possible price at all costs, didn't make it. These were mostly dropshippers that did not stock the instruments. It has been very difficult to get instrument this past few years, and many of the dropshippers (that had the lowest prices), went under.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

3. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

What hasn't gone up in price lately?
    Thanks for your support?

Quote Originally Posted by northfolk View Post
    Well, oddly enough, gasoline. Also eggs and flour. I think I'll drive out for pancakes tomorrow.

6. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Prices have gone up for lot of things, however, Kentucky mandolin prices have been steadied for about two years (that I start and play mandolins), now it just shoots up, from 300$ to 420$ for the Kentucky KM-254 (I bought one at ~300$, do the setup then sold it to a friend at the same price, as if he bought one new with my free setup).
    I also bought a Seagull guitar 4 years ago, the list price at GC was 500$ at that time, and it is still 500$ last month.
    That's really why I asked about this Kentucky mandolin pricing.

One thing factoring in here is that Kentucky Mandolins are made in China, where Seagull guitars are from Canada. Prices of instrument from China are raising at a faster pace.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks for the clarification, I got it.

please keep commerce off the boards.
    Last edited by JEStanek; Jul-08-2018 at 7:40pm. Reason: Commerce

I reckon this is happening again. Am I hallucinating or did Kentucky just raise the prices of the km950 $500?

I find the Kentucky mandolins KM-900`s and above to be such a bargain that people selling them can ask more for them. AND GET IT...Great mandolins and probably the best bang for the buck out there right now...

13. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by northfolk View Post
    My price for a gig; still at the 2015 level. Guard against inflation -- book me!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    My price for a gig; still at the 2015 level. Guard against inflation -- book me!
    we're still working at pretty-much 1985 rates up here in the great white north...about 75-100 per 4 hour gig per man .

"we're still working at pretty-much 1985 rates up here in the great white north...about 75-100 per 4 hour gig per man"

About the same in sunny Florida!

Quote Originally Posted by ukenukem View Post
    "we're still working at pretty-much 1985 rates up here in the great white north...about 75-100 per 4 hour gig per man"

About the same in sunny Florida!

My buddy moved to Nashville several years back and told me sidemen were getting between 25 and 40 dollars a night if they were paid at all . Apparently a lot of it is ' pass the hat ' stuff .?? Dunno ..... Guess we should consider ourselves lucky .....???

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    we're still working at pretty-much 1985 rates up here in the great white north...about 75-100 per 4 hour gig per man .
    This should be it's own thread. For gigs at bars and breweries around the DC area, you're looking at $200-$300 and free beer being what we usually expect to be offered. Factor in tips and a six-piece band and we usually walk out of gigs with about $50 each. Gigs at bars, breweries, local festivals, and playing as opening acts reflects that at that level this live music thing really is a hobbyist's game - I just do see how anyone could live off what they pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    This should be it's own thread. For gigs at bars and breweries around the DC area, you're looking at $200-$300 and free beer being what we usually expect to be offered. Factor in tips and a six-piece band and we usually walk out of gigs with about $50 each. Gigs at bars, breweries, local festivals, and playing as opening acts reflects that at that level this live music thing really is a hobbyist's game - I just do see how anyone could live off what they pay.
    hear ya ....you only need to look at U-tube to see what a glut of musicans there are out there now , though . Its not a novelty or a 'draw' particularly, to have live music in the first place ....not anymore anyway. With so many people willing to work for so little its not surprising that venues don't want to or need to pay for it .

the joke in our circles is that the guys with the best musical gear aren't musicians cuz actual full-time musicians shop at Good Will or the Sally Ann for ' affordable' gear . you need a job to be able to support your music habit in these times .....lol

21. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

People, you need to ask more for gigs. That's the only way prices go up. Don't be afraid. The worst that happens is you don't play the gig. I'm speaking only of weddings and corporate stuff where no-one listens to anything you do here, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    People, you need to ask more for gigs. That's the only way prices go up. Don't be afraid. The worst that happens is you don't play the gig. I'm speaking only of weddings and corporate stuff where no-one listens to anything you do here, obviously.

Weddings and ' corporate ' stuff still pay fairly . I was referring to the 'club scene ' which was once a seven-day-a-week going concern musically Not so anymore . Many only feature " professional" entertainment once or twice a week . Karoke , jam nights and open mic /songwriter nights dominate the landscape for many venues/pubs/small bars etc....which , of course translates to FREE 'entertainment' .

Other clubs provide the stage only and leave the promoting of the gig up to the bands . That is , the band gets the gate , the club gets the bar sales and pays nothing for the music .

The most consistent venues ( in terms of buying entertainment 52 weeks a year )are veterans clubs.....legions , army navy airforce , etc... for obvious reasons . The customer base are from an era that grew up clubbing and dancing to live music and still very much enjoy it . Unfortunately that ' demographic ' still thinks 100 dollars is a LOT of money for music . In Canada that hundred would barely cover a fill up at the service station at over 6 bucks a gallon for gas . But I digress....

Of course this scenario may be more a Canadian thing than a North American thing. Can't say for sure .

There are places that still have a very viable club scene, but they tend to be in dense urban areas where you can stagger home without getting in a car. My daughters are mid thirties now, and they never had live music played at school dances, so not only are they of an age where alcohol consumption is moderate, clubs didn't usually hire bands even when they drank more.

Now with the laws the way they are, the bar take that pays for everything isn't what it used to be. Then simple laws of supply and demand kick in. The old folks like me that used to see live music in bars don't go out. When they do, they tend to go home by 10. Hard to pay a four piece $400.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    There are places that still have a very viable club scene, but they tend to be in dense urban areas where you can stagger home without getting in a car. My daughters are mid thirties now, and they never had live music played at school dances, so not only are they of an age where alcohol consumption is moderate, clubs didn't usually hire bands even when they drank more.

Now with the laws the way they are, the bar take that pays for everything isn't what it used to be. Then simple laws of supply and demand kick in. The old folks like me that used to see live music in bars don't go out. When they do, they tend to go home by 10. Hard to pay a four piece $400.

Yes ...all true , Brick . My son's school days didn't include live bands performing for dances either .

I really believe that the solution to paying bands a fair fee in these times is the surprisingly ( to me ) issue of a small cover charge at the door . Many of the veteran's clubs where I've entertained for many years are hurting financially . As you say , alcohol does not generate the revenue it may once have because people simply are more responsible about drinking and driving ....and for health reasons , of course . All good .

However it seems impossible to impress upon folks that it does still cost to have a professional band come in -rehearsed and with all the necessary experience and often expensive equipment it takes to entertain at these functions . I've seen several clubs attempt to address this issue with a VERY nominal cover charge ...sometimes 5 dollars or less , only to be met with disgruntled patrons. Hmmm? I'm not altogether sure why that would even be an issue at all given the circumstances I've outlined but apparently it is ...and a contentious one .

Again , I can only put it down to the mindset ( conditioning ? ) of an older demographic ( me included ) who were used to having the entertainment provided 'free' in the past when the bar sales generated much more revenue than it does in these times . Five dollars is certainly a more than reasonable fee for having a professional band come in with all that's required to entertain a group of folks over a 4 or 5 hour evening of music ....and yet it ( or the principle? )seems to be a discouraging factor even in these times when it would barely buy two cups of coffee ( or ONE at Starbucks ...lol ) . I mean , wages in every sector of the economy have increased in twenty years .

The old comedian Gary Muledeer ( Smothers Brothers ) once joked " I have finally found a profession ( music ) where I'm guaranteed a job for LIFE if I'm willing to work for less each year " I am beginning to understand that he was RIGHT ON THE MONEY with that observation . lol