Thread: Tunings for Conversion

Question Tunings for Conversion

I know there have been a few threads with this topic, but just wanted to get some opinions on tunings. I found a Fender Mini Strat on craigslist for $50. I'm tempted to get it to create an 'OM conversion' but didn't know if I should string it:

- GDAE and leave two slots open (not looking to do any fancy wood working conversion)
    - CGDAE and leave just one open
    - push to FCGDAE .... but the tension might be too much?

I don't really know how to read the online string calculators well to see which would be the best option with tension. The Mini is just shy of 23" (22 7/8 I think?).

I would just be playing around at the house with the family for fun. What have you all done in the past that worked? Any recommendations?
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

Default Re: Tunings for Conversion

Forget FCGDAE that F will be way too sloppy unless you use a hawser cable or a bass string... Use CGDAE - or GDAEB - get a Nut and Saddle reslotted for 5 strings.

For strings - you have E A D G B E. Use E A D B E for C G D A E. Find a lighter string for a high B - .009 or .008 maybe...

Ok thanks- so pushing all 6 strings seems too much. Will probably stick to the CGDAE. Would a 5 string bass bridge work? Not sure how to change the nut .... would the neck get damaged if the existing nut is removed?

That's still a pretty decent scale, 22.75". A lot of us do all six strings and tune NST (New Standard Tuning), which is CGDAEG. It's a compromise on the high G, but the tuning is very well-accepted on regular guitar scale-lengths. The top G provides some opportunity for tight chord voicings, plus, the lower five provide all the fifths you know and love. And if you need to know how to work it, go to the free/no ads/fun/interactive NST site at jazzcittern.com.

Thanks for the suggestion .... I like that idea of NST. :-)

If I got a set of NST strings for guitar, could I use the same set for a shorter scale guitar as well, like a Mini Strat or Taylor Baby? I see that some places sell them as a set with:

C - 0.059
    G - 0.047
    D - 0.032
    A - 0.022
    E - 0.013
    G - 0.011

Would these be ok for a 22-23" scale length?