Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: scottish tunes question

Default Re: scottish tunes question

Scottish jigs versus Irish, well I suppose Irish tunes tend to have come from their requirement for a certain type of dance, which is probably distinct from Scottish jigs, and of course pipe jigs are composed for the pipes and narrower pipe scale.

My main view of Scottish versus Irish is that there are a lot more ornaments in Irish playing, its smoother, speedier, and doesn't have the dotted crochet/quaver emphasis that exists ,to a degree in Scottish playing, and we tend to have a wider tempo range, with the martial piping rhythms. However, many modern musicians in Scotland are playing styles and repertoires that to my ears are light years away from the music played here 30 years ago, such is progression. Its almost a trad jazz, in some ways. If I can get round to it I'll try and do a close up film of the jig patterns I attempt when I play a jig, if that could be of use? I'm afraid there's no getting away from just practicing the dud-dud pattern and all its variants within a specific tune ....
    cheers
    Kevin

Hi Werner,
    Here's 3 close ups, as best I could do, with a slowish version of three tunes, one a pipe jig the other two Irish jigs.

I would normally play these a wee bit swifter, and I probably wouldn't play them exactly the same way every time as its fun to augment the basic tunes, but I hope they give some impression of the Down Up Down repetitive picking pattern and variations as dictated by the actual tune.

Observing Alec Finn over the years seems to have influenced me in that I would sometimes use an up-stroke on the top E towards the A, as a form of emphasis at the end of a phrase. He enunciates this perfectly in his accompaniment, and its part of his unique signature style. By the way we may record in 2013, don't know if anyone's interested? Might give me an idea how many cds to press, 20 or 30 perhaps!?

As good as it gets in my book!

4. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Kevin - I'd be interested in a CD of your playing. I guess that means press at least 31.

Pete

One anyway! The old ones are still around somewhere on Greentrax, though Polbain to Oranmore with Alec Finn is only on download now ....

Make that 32, Kevin. Interesting grip you use on your pick - you seem to hold it in your thumb and second finger and it certainly works well for you!
    Have a great 2013.

Yes, its a bit odd, but I basically got hold of a plectrum in 1976 and held it comfortably for me - its not dissimilar to how I hold a pen actually. It may have had something to do with how I was taught to bow from the age of 4 by a highly skilled classical violin tutor, Harry Ogilvie of Dundee. But its not great for tremolo work, unlike the standard taught thumb and first finger hold, but the three point contact helps with my style of playing perhaps. 32 and counting - should I order up that yacht yet?
    And a grand 2013 with lots of tunes and new instruments from your most capable hands John. Slainte.

By the way we may record in 2013, don't know if anyone's interested? Might give me an idea how many cds to press, 20 or 30 perhaps!?

Hopefully youŽll press a couple of extra discs for Sweden Kevin! Always have appreciated your CDs, great tunes and pure playing. If you ever fancy doing a masterclass over here I know of a few folk whoŽd be interested.

Duncan

Thank you Duncan, that's grand to hear. The idea of a trip to Sweden sounds fun, but the finances might be a problem, unlees you've a pal with a helicopter? Who knows, it could happen, as long as the arilines didn't smash my mandolin!
    cheers
    Kevin

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kmmando View Post
    ...It may have had something to do with how I was taught to bow from the age of 4 by a highly skilled classical violin tutor
    An ex violin student myself, I can say that totally makes sense and corresponds to the depth of things learned at that age (i.e. next to impossible to unlearn). From that view, I am glad I started violin at the age of 10 (and stopped at 19) so I was able to finally get around to the orthodox power grip around 45!

It is amazing, however, how obviously well that grip is working for you.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Best not to think about the pick, just the notes and music you want to make well.
    Cheers Bertram, and all the best for 2013

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

That's right, Kevin, Thinking is a Music Hazard.

Have a happy New Year (the new one or the old one, whichever works for you).
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ction-training

Thank you, Kevin. I will study your videos in detail, and I am sure to get there now. Sometime.

Greetings. Lots of good information on this topic.

As a GHB piper, I'd say that's not too bad for playing, but I would probably slow it down and focus on cuts and holds. It sounds a bit too smooth for me, like Irish or classical mandolin playing. Pipe playing is about the cuts and holds. The general rule as explained to me is that if you think you held it too long, you are probably just about there.

Nate the Deaf Piper

Quote Originally Posted by kmmando View Post
    Hi Werner,
    here's my efforts at the lovely 6/8 pipe march by the great John MacColl - there's a recent collection of his tremendous tunes now available. I thought it might be of interest to try these on the mandolin. There's a couple more Scottish sets I'll pop up shortly, Scottish styled tunes, might be of interest, playing's a bit ropey as I haven't played a lot of late.
    regards, Kevin Macleod Edinburgh