Thread: David Grisman's latest with Martin Taylor AND Frank Vignola!!!

Default David Grisman's latest with Martin Taylor AND Frank Vignola!!!

How do David Grisman and Acoustic Disc do it? They keep raising the bar again and again. I’m talking about “First Time Together” the new release available for download purchase from the Acoustic Oasis. It features both Martin Taylor and Frank Vignola on guitar, with Grisman on mandolin, and his son Samsom (recent IBMA Momentum Award winner) on bass.

Yes, this is the same Martin Taylor, the Scottish born jazz guitar player who was in Stephane Grappelli’s band for 11 years, and has played on five previous Grisman projects, including favorites of mine: “Tone Poems II” and “I’m Beginning To See The Light”. And yes, this is the same Frank Vignola who played for years with jazz guitar legend Les Paul; and who has been on five or six previous Acoustic Disc releases, among them “Blues for a Gypsy” and more recently “Frank-n-Dawg- Melody Monsters”; and has even held the guitar chair in the David Grisman Quintet for awhile.

So, what is so great about this release that makes it special enough to raise the bar another notch? It is the first time both guitarists (leaders in their own right) have played together. It turns out that both of these incredibly busy musicians contacted Grisman saying they were going to be passing through the San Francisco Bay Area and wanted to get together--and it was on the same exact date! How fortunate for us. The result of Grisman putting together two of the best jazz guitarists on the planet was a monster all-day recording session to which we are now invited. Now that is what is so special, and hence the title --“First Time Together!”

Maybe you’re not a jazz aficionado and you look at the list of tunes and draw a blank. After my first listen, I had to research some of the titles myself. I knew that I had heard the incredibly beautiful melodies before, but I couldn’t place them all. Two tunes “Surrey With The Fringe On Top” (Rogers and Hammerstein) from the musical “Oklahoma” and “Diane” (Erno Rapee) I recognized from the great Miles Davis Quintet recording, “Steamin’” (1956). It turns out that several other compositions were hit records; and, in fact, some were #1 best sellers on the charts going all the way back to the late 1920’s. It is common for jazz artists to take popular songs and use them as vehicles for instrumental versions with improvisation. These classics have been recorded by numerous jazz artists over the years--and there is a reason why: they are just great melodies. Round this out with three recent Grisman compositions “Swang Thang” , “Newly Wedding” and “Tracy’s Tune” written for his wife Tracy, and you have the Dawg music stamp on this set. Martin Taylor's original "Seraphina" is also included. The cherry on top for me is a wonderful version of the Beatles song, “Michelle”. In fact, all 12 cuts are gems each capturing the spirit of their performance, so it is hard to pick a favorite!

These fellas play like a tight, well-seasoned band. This isn’t one of those jam sessions where the players continuously try to outdo each other and blow away the competition. Rather, they create spontaneously and effortlessy like true masters. More to the point, one musician’s solo is so hot it inspires whomever follows in the arrangement to flow out of their solo and keep the intensity the same.

One word I kept thinking while listening is GROOVE, because my foot couldn’t stop tapping the time. These guys are tight and this music just swings. The twin guitars are fabulous. The recording is a banquet of guitar riches. But wait! One of David Grisman’s fortes is his complex rhythm playing, and I love the way he adds a rich syncopated texture throughout this recording. I also like the way on a slower tune he would sometimes double time a passage of his solo, igniting the overall energy. So, expect some great mandolin playing too! The musicians easily trade back and forth, finessing these compositions with dynamic shifts and expressive tone, or sometimes play the heads in tight harmony.

The more I listen, the more I hear the nuance each put into their performance. It is hard to believe that they had never played together before, as it is such a team effort. The recording is set up where the guitars are panned left and right while keeping the mandolin and bass centered, so you can hear exactly what each musician is playing; and it is consistent throughout the recording. Hearing how Martin, Frank, and David seamlessly trade passages, interacting with each other, really listening and responding in real time is quite impressive. They all play their hearts out. Clearly, they are enjoying each other’s musicianship and it brings out the best in all of them. The young Samson Grisman more than holds his own with the more experienced musicians, making this recording an embarrassment of riches. Everyone shines and just plays beautifully.

Another feature that is becoming an Acoustic Disc trademark is they leave in some of the banter between the musicians between takes. You really get to appreciate the camaraderie among the musicians and get a glimpse of their personalities.

Do yourself a favor. Go to www.acousticoasis.com and check this one out. You will feel like you were personally invited to the recording session. And like most of the Acoustic Disc recordings, the sound is top notch. In fact, they offer it in different sampling rates, and it is even available in a hi-def master version which is a larger file FLAC-HD download, getting you that much closer to the master tape.

Highly recommended!
    Arthur Stern

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SternART For This Useful Post:

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Default Re: David Grisman's latest with Martin Taylor AND Frank Vignola!!

One of the great things about Frank is that he really listens to what others are doing at the same time, and can add incredible runs that fit with anybody, anytime. I'll grab this for sure. He;'s one of the very few guys we put on who said he wanted no monitors for the band, because he wanted to hear, feel and see what everyone was doing, and the extra sound was distracting. That says a lot about how sympathetic a player he is. David's always David, but the two together are great, I'm sure. Thanks for the heads up, Arthur!

Blog Entries

Beautiful stuff:

5. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post:

Mr. Stern, I cannot thank you enough for posting that review, and your timing is exquisite. I've got a four-hour solo road trip tomorrow, and this is going to be great company along the way. I also grabbed the MP3s for the Grisman/Vignola disc - marvelous stuff, all of it. Absolute barn-burners, both of them. Thanks again.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

I really enjoy the reviews that Arthur has provided. Great passion in his writing for the music he loves...I've been there! I have so many albums with Grisman, Taylor, Vignola and various combinations...this is a great way to bring that all together. Another recommendation from Acoustic Oasis is the Living Room Sessions, with Grisman, Vignola and Robin Nolan...outstanding music and bit more "aggressive" than the other albums with Vignola or Taylor.

Agreed re: the Grisman, Vignola and Robin Nolan disc - I've been a big Gypsy jazz fan off and on for years, so Nolan has been on my radar a long time. I grabbed that one as soon as it became available.

Speaking of 'aggressive' - I have a friend who some years back was (finally) starting to listen to some mandolin, and I loaned him my Tone Poems II disc. He loved it. Exquisite, understated stuff, Dawg and Taylor at their best. A few months later, when DGQ was coming to Ann Arbor, a few of us got tickets. Now, I'd seen DGQ a few times, so I knew what was coming - but Dan had only heard TPII, which he listened to again on the drive down to The Ark, and that's what he expected to hear. Well, you can describe DGQ any number of ways, but 'understated' ain't usually one of them. They came out of the gate like a freight train. Halfway through the first number, I leaned back and looked down the row at Dan, and he looked back with his eyes wide open in shock/disbelief. I'll never forget it. Reminded me of that Maxell ad from the 60's or 70's when everything in the room was blown back. Priceless. I'd pay to see it again.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Papa John

Thanks this will be on my acoustic oasis Christmas list

Is this recording available as a real CD release? I didn't see it on the Acoustic Disc website. I bought a copy of the recent Folk Jazz Trio CD direct from Acoustic Disc, and it was just a plain cardboard CD case with a cover label sticker on it--no booklet, no liner notes, no photography, nothing. I have truly treasured the rich packaging that was part of Grisman's earlier releases and will miss it greatly if he is no longer doing this for Acoustic Disc recordings. I really don't like buying an exclusively digital version of a recording.

Ignatius

I thought I read that Grisman produced a Mando Tab book for Tone Poems II similar to Tone Poems I. Anyone know for sure about this rumor? I would sure love to have one.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    Is this recording available as a real CD release? I didn't see it on the Acoustic Disc website. I bought a copy of the recent Folk Jazz Trio CD direct from Acoustic Disc, and it was just a plain cardboard CD case with a cover label sticker on it--no booklet, no liner notes, no photography, nothing. I have truly treasured the rich packaging that was part of Grisman's earlier releases and will miss it greatly if he is no longer doing this for Acoustic Disc recordings. I really don't like buying an exclusively digital version of a recording.

Ignatius
    I commented on this in another thread, but my thought is that the cost of creating the rich packaging, making CDs, distributing them and having them sit unsold has shifted the focus from the hard copy to the digital, on demand approach that Acoustic Oasis is using. I think I remember Grisman talking about this when he started the Oasis. I agree, I loved the notes and packaging with the hard copy...but I guess digital versions (or very limited CD versions like you mention) are better than no music. It would be great to get a PDF or something similar that included some notes on the tunes, etc., but I can understand the desire to move away from that in the age of iTunes, Amazon and music streaming services. I couldn't imagine not having the liner notes to the Tone Poems series, Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza, Songs of our Fathers, etc. and I do find myself rereading those notes from time to time. I wish we could have it all!