Thread: Which one?

Default Which one?

I've been playing mando a few years but have never tried an electric solid body. I'm intrigued but only have $500 tops to spend. So I guess the question is Mandobird or Fender Robert schmidt, or fm-61. I do want 8 strings.

Default Re: Which one?

Fender Robert Schmidt isn't solidbody...
    If I had to make the choice, it will be Mandobird (a futur collector !!)
    And if you like the mandobird, you can upgrade it with the almuse pickup...
    (I never tried the fm 61)
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."

I've owned several E mandos in various price ranges and picked up a mando bird on closeout for $149 early this year, it rocks. Lots of easy upgrades if you choose.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Thanks for your responses. Hey pjlama I 'm visiting in Albuquerque right now. Are there any good shops with mandos to try here? Maybe one with a Mandobird? I would love to try some solid bodies. I know the Robert Schmidt isn't solid but I'd like to try it. I live up in the mountains of Colorado, where there's no shops, and even Denver is hit or miss finding stuff to try.

Really enjoy my 8-string bird, once I made a new nut and got one of Pete's p'ups and a moongazer bridge. And jazzmando strings. The action and neck, frets, etc make it a real nice instrument to play. Can be found for ~ $200 USD. Don't know about stores in ABQ, been so long since I lived in NM. Musicians Friend has them sometimes, as does GC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt Man View Post
    Thanks for your responses. Hey pjlama I 'm visiting in Albuquerque right now. Are there any good shops with mandos to try here? Maybe one with a Mandobird? I would love to try some solid bodies. I know the Robert Schmidt isn't solid but I'd like to try it. I live up in the mountains of Colorado, where there's no shops, and even Denver is hit or miss finding stuff to try.
    These guys are in Arizona and have an interesting telecaster-style solid body coming soon for only $299.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    These guys are in Arizona and have an interesting telecaster-style solid body coming soon for only $299.
    Cool mando. Great store. However, distance is several hundred miles (over 460) from Albuquerque NM to Surprise, AZ. Like driving from Sydney to Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Cool mando. Great store. However, distance is several hundred miles (over 460) from Albuquerque NM to Surprise, AZ. Like driving from Sydney to Melbourne.
    Yeah, but I can actually drive to Melbourne if need be, so what's the problem?

That is a cool mando, but I went ahead and got a Mandobird. I'm getting it set-up and a new nut put on. Haven't even seen it yet. Can't wait but I gotta find the time to drive 4 hours to get it. I play a lot of leads and I'm itchin to try them on the bird!

What's the deal on jazzmando strings? Is that a packaged set made for emando?

Yes. I use these on my four-string emandos and am very pleased with the results.

The Morgan Monroe is clearly out of the same factory that makes tele-style 8-stringers sold under three or four different names in Europe. I've been looking at them (online only; I'm a long way from the U.K. just now) and am sorely tempted to get one when I'm next back 'home'.

I hadn't seen the Mandobird in my online travels before now. How does it compare to the Tele-style Morgan Monroe? Does having only one pick-up restrict its flexibility compared to the two pick-ups on the mandocaster?

ron

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Yeah, but I can actually drive to Melbourne if need be, so what's the problem?
    May not be a problem for Mt Man, but he said he was going to ABQ, NM, and was interested in local shops. A store in AZ isn't local to ABQ for most of us. An 8-hour drive each way is kinda not local.

I got an FM61se when introduced.. being made so all the components are fitted to a scratch plate,
    they are easily modded by cutting out another piece of scratchplate stock, duplicating the original.

I after laying out outline, and holes on new stock, I put all the old parts back.. on the MOTS original..
    so for resale can be flipped back to original.. if desired..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by blueron View Post
    The Morgan Monroe is clearly out of the same factory that makes tele-style 8-stringers sold under three or four different names in Europe. I've been looking at them (online only; I'm a long way from the U.K. just now) and am sorely tempted to get one when I'm next back 'home'.

I hadn't seen the Mandobird in my online travels before now. How does it compare to the Tele-style Morgan Monroe? Does having only one pick-up restrict its flexibility compared to the two pick-ups on the mandocaster?

ron
    From the comments I've seen here the Mandobird is a good deal. You will likely need to replace the nut, and there are replacement pick-up options. But it's only $150-250. I'll post what I think as an emando newbie when I finally get to try mine - which I bought a week ago - GRRRRRRRRRRR.

So did you get the 4 or 8 stringer?

Hope the Neck set was done right.. 2 of us got FM61's in this County, mine is OK, Spud's, the other guy's
    was less well made..

With Musician's Friend the US QC is left to the Customer .
    Process= you call them back , and they send a reshipping label.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I got the 8 string. I should get it back in a week or so. Also got a Loar 520 to use as a beater - hope the sound is passable. Putting a Fishman bridge pick-up in it. I haven't had a new instrument in years. Can't wait to start experimenting!