Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Northfield "S" Series Mandolins

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Introducing Northfield "S" Series Mandolins

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Introducing Northfield "S" Series Mandolins

Northfield Instruments has announced the addition of a new "S" Series to their line of mandolins. Based on feedback from professional working musicians and the input from the mandolin community through forum contact the "S" Series was created to provide a wider range of design and sound options professional and amateur musicians alike can appreciate and enjoy in an affordable price range.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Introducing Northfield "S" Series Mandolins

Heard Adam Steffey play one of these last night at the Ark in Ann Arbor. Great performance by the Boxcars and astounding sound from the new Northfield!

We need a video of the F2 model. I would like to how it stands up top the Weber CVF and the Collings ovals.

That black top F-2 looks really sweet! MAS setting in. Its a shame we did not get to hear it in the video.
    Last edited by Charles E.; Oct-14-2012 at 6:28pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

These go for about $300 less than the normal base-price F model's $3000. I don't know Northfield's specs that well, but my impression is that these have a simpler sunburst for the finish, nitro instead of 'spirit varnish', and don't have a bound headstock or bound fretboard... so: are these such a good deal, or do most 'regular' Northfields come out to around $3.5K after adding extras like a one-piece backs and a speed necks?

I was looking for a 2 point, now that F2 is trumping it.

Very impressive, both the picking and the tone. One question: what's the name of the tune that starts at 2:00?? Have heard it bunches of times but can't for the life of me think of the name...thanks for any beta you can give me.
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

That's Cherokee Shuffle.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

i am pretty certain he is playing 'Lost Indian'...very similar to 'Cherokee Shuffle'...in the NRV, Lost Indian is usually in A, and Cherokee Shuffle is sometimes played in D...but old-time fiddlers sometimes switch the keys around...

mr. doland beat me to it, and i concur...

Impressive. Cam the 'S' be ordered with a 'Big Mon' body dimension?

Quote Originally Posted by chhearn View Post
    i am pretty certain he is playing 'Lost Indian'...very similar to 'Cherokee Shuffle'...in the NRV, Lost Indian is usually in A, and Cherokee Shuffle is sometimes played in D...but old-time fiddlers sometimes switch the keys around...
    My experience is the opposite. CS usually in A, LI usually in D. Maybe it has to do with north or south of the Equator...

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

These mandolins and the playing sound wonderful, but the video is not very helpful in knowing which instrument is which.

Just sayin'
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

14. The following members say thank you to mandopete for this post:

Hi Everyone. Thanks to Scott T. for the nice news article and front page attention. Flattering to say the least. Couple responses to comments/questions so far:

Pricing: Yes, the average price for a master model has been higher than the base that we've been showing on our site. The order history has been almost completely custom orders for the last year, with nearly everyone opting for options that we offer. The average MSRP of the S series will be much less, since those options will not be offered. The other "savings" will be that these orders will more readily available and in select stores for trying before buying, something that hasn't been possible very often since 2009.

"Big Mon" Shape: No, sorry, these new S series will not be offered in our custom "Big Mon" sizing.

Tune: I think it was Cherokee Shuffle. I'll ask Aaron to be sure.

Video and "S" Series Identifier: When Aaron plays the new mandolin you'll see "NEW" F5S in red in the left hand side of the video screen, indicating that he's playing the new instrument. He starts out playing a master model. He's also playing an F5S for the audio during the fast motion "More Mandolins" section of the video.

Hope this helps. Questions can also be directed to info@northfieldmandolins.com
    Thanks, Adrian

for gawds sake...... why all the trickery - I get migraine too dam easy- nice picking - shame about the video.

speeded up doesn't help either .

Hey Adrian,
    Any plans on an A-5S in the future?

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

What's the name of the first tune that Aaron plays? I know I've heard it before. I took the time to learn it today but can't remember where I may have heard it before. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Northfield mando View Post
    Hi Everyone. Thanks to Scott T. for the nice news article and front page attention. Flattering to say the least. Couple responses to comments/questions so far:

Pricing: Yes, the average price for a master model has been higher than the base that we've been showing on our site. The order history has been almost completely custom orders for the last year, with nearly everyone opting for options that we offer. The average MSRP of the S series will be much less, since those options will not be offered. The other "savings" will be that these orders will more readily available and in select stores for trying before buying, something that hasn't been possible very often since 2009.

"Big Mon" Shape: No, sorry, these new S series will not be offered in our custom "Big Mon" sizing.

Tune: I think it was Cherokee Shuffle. I'll ask Aaron to be sure.

Video and "S" Series Identifier: When Aaron plays the new mandolin you'll see "NEW" F5S in red in the left hand side of the video screen, indicating that he's playing the new instrument. He starts out playing a master model. He's also playing an F5S for the audio during the fast motion "More Mandolins" section of the video.

Hope this helps. Questions can also be directed to info@northfieldmandolins.com
    Thanks, Adrian
    When do we get to see another video with the mandolins identified, including the black top F-2?
    Charley

Hi again. A couple more answers.

A5S: Probably will. Just working things out with the Fs right now.

More videos: Rest assured, we've got great video of the oval hole in action--just need time to edit it all. Working on that now. FYI, there are more audio clips of the mandolins here: http://www.northfieldinstruments.com...ins/qsq-series you can find them on the Audio tab on the left side bar.

-Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I'll check it out. I really like how you guy's are keeping things fresh.
    Charley

Smile Re: Introducing Northfield "S" Series Mandolins

I just talked to Aaron and the first tune he is playing he learned from a live recording featuring Sam Bush at The Birchmere. It's called Poor Richard's Blues. The other one is Cherokee Shuffle.

The music he is playing, when the video is sped up, is some Aaron Ramsey "off the cuff" stuff.
    Mike Ramsey
    bass flunky/songs written/festival stuff
    http://www.BigMikeRamsey.com
    http://www.RedWhiteandBluegrassFestival.com

I wanted to hear the oval

Keebler, you can listen to it here......

http://www.northfieldinstruments.com...gallery/listen

It is the second set of recordings.
    Charley

Here's a video just showing the NF-F2 "Oval Hole" Mandolin

Let Us Know what you think!
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Oct-19-2012 at 8:44am. Reason: correcting video embed code

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post:

Emory is such a gifted player, makes that oval hole sing.