Thread: Trio Brasiliero in Seattle...a spectacular concert

Default Trio Brasiliero in Seattle...a spectacular concert

The concert in Seattle of Dudu, Douglas and Alexandre was nothing short of spectacular. I have seen Dudu in a number of venues now, but he is now an artist playing at the very top of his game. It is a wonder to see. Added to that, Douglas is one of what must be the top rank of Brasilian 7 string players, and his brother Alexandre is as good a pandeiro player as I've seen. Last night was right up there with spectacular performances I’ve seen by Hamilton de Holanda and Douglas Brito. Hamilton pays the trio respects by writing glowing liner notes to their new CD. He also is responsible for helping expose the US to Danilo and Dudu by helping get them to the Mandolin Symposium a few years back.

The trios new CD is also superb. Not a throwaway tune on it. Every song worthy of multiple plays. The technical recording is unbelievable. A ‘dry ‘ sound (I don't know how else to describe it) with mics that bring the presence of the space right into the room in a very unique way. I can say I’ve never heard a recording quite like this, especially the micing of the mandolin. I'd love to know exactly how and with what mics he recorded his beautiful 10 string. The CD was recorded in Dudu's apartment of all places, but it dispells the myth that you need some kind of special room to record in. Douglas' instrument is quite 'forward' in the mix to my ears, and I love it. Sounds like he's right in your face in the most positive aspect of that phrase.

Dudu and Douglas have been writing new Choro pieces. Choro Pra Je , the wonderful Terra Seca, Douglas' moving solo "Lamento", Sarue Bengala, the very beautiful Baiao Caravaina, and the incredible Marujo, a piece of spectacular beautiful phrasing, highlighting the unique style of Dudu's songwriting. Dig Douglas' counterpoint to Dudu's melody. It's thrilling listening to these new pieces to the classic genre. Then listen to their brilliant version of Brejeiro as the band's ability to render an old tune done by everyone with new life. I can't get enough of listening to Douglas' guitar parts to this.

I may be downplaying the amazing Para Eu Ser Feliz by not raving about it, but that's because the three of them have been doing this for a while, and I've recorded it at Centrum before. If you are unfamiliar with it, close your eyes, crank up the sound system and weep. It's just another great update to a classic.

Jovino Santos Neto joined them for the last few numbers. These tunes, including the finale, a combination of Assanhado and Brasiliero were just beyond words, and all worthy of the multiple standing ovations. Seattle is incredibly lucky to have Jovino teaching and playing here. The video recording done by EmptySea that put the concert on, should be available for a small fee soon, and is worth it. The musicians will get a cut of the proceeds.

Opening for them was Portland based band, The Brazillionaires. Mandolinist Zak Borden and his bands' playing is quite improved from a few years back since I've seen them. Seattle based clarinetist Rosalyn DeRoos joined them for a few tunes, including "Luiz Americano Na PRE 3". I love Ros' passionate playing. She adds something to every tune she plays and puts her soul into every note. She studied at Cornish under Jovinho.

Thanks to all the Choro friends in Seattle for selling out the concert. Dudu will be back at Centrum's Choro workshop in the first week in April, as will be Alexandre, we believe. Douglas, unfortunately was unable to match up his touring schedule with ours. Henrique is likely to be back teaching guitar. More players to be announced soon.
    Last edited by Al Bergstein; Oct-04-2012 at 12:17am.

2. The following members say thank you to Al Bergstein for this post:

Default Re: Trio Brasiliero in Seattle...a spectacular concert

Correction: Danilo Brito of course. I just fired my proofreader. (G)
    Last edited by Al Bergstein; Oct-04-2012 at 2:30pm.

Hah, Al. I thought there was another member of the Brito family playing choro.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for the review Al. That was indeed a great show and I consider myself quite fortunate to have been there.

-David

Thanks David.

@ JimG: I've been around too many family acts lately I guess....that and a lack of sleep...last ferry home from Seattle got me in past my bedtime. I was glad Ruffo and Rezendes were behind me on those lonely back roads...

Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    The video recording done by EmptySea that put the concert on, should be available for a small fee soon, and is worth it. The musicians will get a cut of the proceeds.
    This show is now available online, for a small fee as Al mentioned, and wow! is it worth it. Very good quality! Highly recommended... I just started watching it 10 minutes ago and I have an idea I will be watching it over and over again. Not quite sure how long one has access to it after having paid the fee but I plan on getting my money's worth for sure.....

-David

Quote Originally Posted by DSDarr View Post
    This show is now available online, for a small fee as Al mentioned, and wow! is it worth it. Very good quality! Highly recommended... I just started watching it 10 minutes ago and I have an idea I will be watching it over and over again. Not quite sure how long one has access to it after having paid the fee but I plan on getting my money's worth for sure.....

-David
    Indeed, the show is available at this link:

Dudu Maia - Empty Sea Television

If you watched the live stream, you can watch the on-demand version free of charge. Otherwise, it's $5 for unlimited viewings. As a mando player myself, I can confirm there's a lot to learn from this show! Humbling and inspiring.

Best,

Michael Connolly (Empty Sea Studios)

And a free one song sample is now up on Youtube. Looks like I'll have to improve my video shooting next year at Centrum, but these guys at Empty Sea are working with a living room, not a concert hall (G). Makes it easier to be closer without messing with the audience experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mtconnol View Post
    Indeed, the show is available at this link:

Dudu Maia - Empty Sea Television

If you watched the live stream, you can watch the on-demand version free of charge. Otherwise, it's $5 for unlimited viewings. As a mando player myself, I can confirm there's a lot to learn from this show! Humbling and inspiring.

Best,

Michael Connolly (Empty Sea Studios)