Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ovation MM68AX

Default Re: Ovation MM68AX

Yes, that battery change-out is a miserable experience, but the battery last a long time and has an indicator light which can be checked in the pre-amp so you're not stuck trying to change it in a dark bar. The MM68 is unbeatable as a plugged mandolin - zero feedback.

2. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

Destroyer of Mandolins

Also, the instrument will play about four hours once the light comes on. If you unplug during breaks it lasts longer. You only need to fit three fingers in the hole to change the battery, but that design is the running joke of Ovation players everywhere.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

Use a good battery and unplug during breaks and you will get a lot of hours between battery changes.
    I've found it to be a very reliable system - (Much more so than my cables [couldn't resist this one Tim]).
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

I have to say, these Ovation designs really make it clear where the majority of the sound in a stringed instrument is being produced from (i.e. the top) and why laminate wood back and sides (at least on guitars) can sound so good as well.
    I am just finishing up a major overhaul of an Ovation guitar, and it sounds really good. I am in the market for a smaller sized guitar than my old dread, and the sound that this Ovation is delivering is much closer to what I am looking for than I ever would have imagined. I think it's the smaller profile of the top that I am hearing, as the back material doesn't seem to have a huge effect on the sound.
    Apparently (and almost unbelievably) the entire original "Manzanita" title cut by Tony Rice was recorded using an Ovation guitar. It does slip off my knee, but that is another issue.
    Last edited by Fretbear; Mar-31-2013 at 9:52am.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

6. The following members say thank you to Fretbear for this post:

Destroyer of Mandolins

I don't know if it's true, but I heard that the curve of the Ovation's back focuses the sound much as the curved mirror of a Newtonian telescope focuses light. The back shoots the sound out of the hole. And I too have been impressed by many laminate-back guitars over the years. I've even met a few that sounded better than some very expensive solid-back instruments. But that's just me.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

One of Ed's main points was that the MM68AX is not really worth $800 when you can get the MCS148 for $500. Then I saw a real US made MM68 on eBay. He had a $750 "Buy It Now" when it was first listed, but now its auction price is up to $755. Wish I had some extra cash right now.

9. The following members say thank you to michaelpthompson for this post:

That's actually the one that I sent back. It's a beautiful instrument in mint condition. I just couldn't get over the battery change thing. It would be a steal for $755 if you didn't mind the hassle of changing the battery.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Destroyer of Mandolins

I look at the battery change issue the way I do adjusting a bridge or even changing strings: It's a daunting, even off-putting task at first, but you get better at it with practice. I can change a battery in a couple of minutes with no hassle at all today, but I struggled like everyone else the first couple of times.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

FWIW..

I got a Y'ha AG Stomp pedalboard, they use a TRS/Stereo cord as a Phantom 9v power conductor,
    and a dummy battery that shorts across the snap terminals.. so it can power the preamp..

Actual wiring of the instrument circuitry needs to be sorted out.. as to whether it is compatible..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

That MM68 on Ebay is over $900 with 2 days still to go...
    I have to wonder if the MM68 is back in production - or at least as a custom mmodel - since it's listed on the Ovation Website - Retail is $2,169...

Destroyer of Mandolins

My understanding is that the MM-68 will continue to be made to special order, but it's not a production model anymore.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    That MM68 on Ebay is over $900 with 2 days still to go...
    That one wound up going for $920. Not too bad. They seem often to run $1100-1200. This one included the OHS and a leather strap.

I recently bought an MM68 (2000, American) off Ebay and it came shipped with battery and battery holder removed. Certainly wasn't very obvious how to install at. After reading this thread and and this one: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...vation+battery
    I think I understand. I had one of the Applause models back about 18 years ago but never needed to change the battery.

So the slotted black button on the back (next to the back opening) goes into the metal part of the holder and twists, pulling the battery holder snug against the bowl with the foam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ovation-battery.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	160330

Anybody know when the MM68AX was introduced?

I have here a blacktop Ovation tagged MM68 (no AX), but there's no serial number and the label says "Made in Korea." Warranty card is still in the case; it lists an effective date of 10/1/2010.

Do I have maybe a prototype MM68AX?

Headstock logo looks like this, which is not what I'm used to seeing on the MM68: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ovation-246.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	169606
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls