Thread: Low Country Jazz video: Don Stiernberg and Tony Williamson plus!

Thumbs up Low Country Jazz video: Don Stiernberg and Tony Williamson plus!

I recently picked up a copy of this DVD release last November, recorded live in December 2007. A rare and wonderful treat for all who enjoy top-notch mandolin jazz. For those of us who know how incredibly good Don Stiernberg and Tony Williamson are, it's a special privilege to see them at work here. 14 tracks, including 2 originals by Don, 2 from Tony, and 2 from the fantastic guitarist Jeff Autry. 3 bonus tracks. An understated but clearly heard and delightful Ben Tucker on acoustic bass.

Each one of these players is a master and they bring just the right mix of inventiveness and taste to this performance. I would and have traveled many miles to see Don Stiernberg in concert - as all who have seen or heard him know, he's simply an amazing artist, playing with unparalleled clarity and tonal nuance, a flowing stream of pure class. Tony Williamson spins long, beautiful melodies out of every one of these tunes. Every time I have been lucky enough to see him play I'm more impressed by the unique and rich contribution he makes. This was my first exposure to Jeff Autry but it won't be my last - some absolutely priceless thoughts were captured here. Ben Tucker holds it all together perfectly with some lovely breaks as well. It just doesn't get much better. Shot under small-venue concert conditions, the footage is not high-budget, but quite adequate and the closeup work is a gift to anyone who loves getting a glimpse of how it's done. I was so delighted and impressed by the individual and ensemble work captured in this video that I have just ordered another copy as a gift.

I found a preview here for anyone interested. You can get it here or directly from Flatt Mountain Records.
    Last edited by Amy Burcham; Aug-15-2012 at 7:51am. Reason: add Amazon link
    *mandolin mind, beginner mind*

2. The following members say thank you to Amy Burcham for this post: