Thread: What do you most want to learn?

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

Default What do you most want to learn?

Hey there,

I have slowly but surely been compiling less than organized instructional material: videos, tabs, lessons, advice and songs. I am inquiring for some feedback on what kind of material individuals are really seeking out? Also any constructive advice about my site as it stands now.http://www.jakecohan.com

One lesson I learned from you tube's statistics, is that I must focus on more beginning songs and techniques. Any suggestions on what songs or techniques to hatch out?

Being a guitar player as well as a mandolin player for years now I sometimes overlook the important fundamentals of playing. Since I am now starting to take instruction more seriously, any suggestions, requests, or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jake

Default Re: What do you most want to learn?

Hi Jake, I watched a couple of your videos and they're good! You seem to advocate closed position playing styles that of course helps dexterity and left hand hand technique. Beginners probably need to know a lot about relaxing, good posture, good practice regimen and focusing on developing tone with good right hand techniques e.g. alternate picking, string skipping, tremolo, choosing where to play between the neck and bridge to get certain tone etc.

If I were targeting towards beginners you might want a series of videos based on the fundamentals then progressing towards tunes etc.

Good luck with the project!
    GerryHastie

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
    - Albert Schweitzer

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

Thanks Gerry, I really appreciate the good advice. Knowing that good habits are much easier to make than bad habits are to break, I do feel for generic instruction I must go back to basics you mentioned. I've heard Dave Apollon and Jethro Burns agree that the right hand or (picking hand) is the more important of the two. If the string is not stuck it doesn't matter where you are fretting it. It seems I have been working somewhat backwards. Thanks Gerry.

If I may make a suggestion, Jake? If you are aiming your website to try to increase your teaching gigs, you should probably tell people where you are located. I had to infer where you are from looking at your gigs page.

Thanks for the resource, though!
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Andy

"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

How to properly hold a pick.... some advice on pick size/weight and strings.
    For me I started with light gage strings and a light pick but was encouraged to advance once I got some proficiency and this advice was helpful.

I played the guitar holding the pick incorrectly for about 10 years before I finally got mandolin lessons, learned how to hold a pick correctly, and transferred that knowledge to my guitar player.

This can hold someone back a long time!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

get the mechanics right (an instructor) and play with others. Getting better in a style of music with other people is a great journey. I love to play old-time music with other folks. I started going to jams and writing down the tunes they were all playing and then I learned those.

Have fun!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys,
    I appreciate the informative replies. It see a common thread, (pun intended). As Sara mentioned right hand technique seems be a subject worth practicing and teaching. I plan on focusing on this in future blog posts on my site. From holding the pick, to alternate picking, and basics of good tone. I personally started with a thinner pick, and now play a super heavy tortoise shell pick. I also play flatwound strings that have wound A strings instead of plain steel. The E strings are still plain steel. The brand I play are Thomastik-Infeld. I find that wound A strings helps keep the mandolin in tune, something I think all of us can relate too. Thanks again.

jake
    http://www.jakecohan.com

Jake