Thread: My new 1980's Kentucky 850

Default My new 1980's Kentucky 850

I couldn't believe it when my low bid won the EBay auction for this beauty. Plus the case. I've been looking for one of these high end Japanese-made Kentuckys from the 1980s, ever since i got to play one at a jam and was blown away by the sound and the choice of woods. It's another manner of beast entirely from other Asian imports I've played over the years. It appears to be made in 1983.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	km00.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	89545

Name:	km04.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	89544

Name:	km07.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	89546
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	km01.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	89543  
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Default Re: My new 1980's Kentucky 850

Nice, there's a cafe user that has one of these that has posted many times that he'll never part with his. Looks great.

Blog Entries

You done good -- very good! Post a video of it when you can!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I played a 1984 KM-850 for 17 years. It was a fine mandolin. Unfortunately, I got myself in a financial bind about 10 years ago and was forced to sell it. I have often regretted selling it. It too had beautiful woods and a very nice sound. It was a year old when I bought it for $400. That was a good deal even in 1985. It served me well. Enjoy it and play the heck out of it.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I wonder if those are hairline cracks or just lacquer checks above and possibly below the treble F hole...

Very nice. I've never been a big Kentucky guy, but something like that could turn me around.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

As far as the possibility of a crack, all i can say — until I receive the instrument — is that the seller made no mention of one, but did honestly describe a small amount of checking and finish flaws. He also wrote that the instrument was structurally sound. I have no reason to doubt him. He is a mandolin player with too many instruments, and plans to unload a bunch on EBay in the next several months. I actually suggested to him to consider using the Cafe classifieds.

A few weeks ago i did have a bad experience with a mandolin on EBay. It was described as functional and playable as is, but arrived with a fingerboard separating from the neck, and the neck separating from the body. After talking to the seller about these issues, I concluded that he was not being devious. He was just a non-musician who'd bought a big job lot which was being divided up for EBay sales, and was sloppy for not going over the instrument properly. He made good, and has agreed to reimburse me in full, and also pay for the shipping for me to return it to him.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

Jim,
    I played one of those for about nine years. I remember it to be an 83 or 84. They are great imports. Enjoy.
    Eddie Blevins Mandolin Works
    Hancrafted Acoustical Instruments
    Blountville, Tennessee

http://www.ebmworks.com/

Well

Is this a Kentucky KM-850 model?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	89666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo2.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	89667  

Quote Originally Posted by NG53 View Post
    Well

Is this a Kentucky KM-850 model?
    No! Look at the photos of the OP's mandolin. That is a KM-850. Other than the shape, they look nothing alike. Look at the headstock inlay and the back, especially the center seam coming from the neck heel. The wood is entirely different. What you have looks more like a KM-630.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Thanks for that

I received the 850 this morning. I have to say, it is as well put together as anything I've ever owned by the more appreciated builders. I had been somewhat of a snob about Asian instruments until I played a Kentucky-1500 a friend of mine bought just a few months ago. At first, I was speechless when he told me how much he'd spent on it.

Then I played it in a room with an Eastman 915 and a few recent Gibson F5s, and realized that his top-of-the-line Kentucky was holding its own with these other mandolins, all of which cost at least as much if not quite a bit more.

Not that my new 1984 Japanese-built 850 has anything in common with his Asian-built 1500, other than the fact that learning to respect his label made me start reading the discussions about older Japanese built Kentuckys here on the Cafe.

It's not a Gilchrist. Nor does it attain the depth of tone of my Ben Wilcox three point, although obviously, both the sound and the purpose are distinctly different.
    I'm happy as a clam to get it for less than 1k. The blue hard shell case is more than icing. And the seller put new strings on the instrument just prior to shipping.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

I still have the KM-850 I bought new in 1983. Soon to be thirty years. You have probably saw the pictures of it on the other thread from a couple of years ago or so.

Like you, I have a custom mandolin that is my stage mandolin but the KM850 is a good mandolin. That thing has a nice powerful chop.

Wow i own Kentucky KM-850 serial #12868 inside says saga music on gold tag, i like my mandolin so well not sure if i would ever sale it .. seen one on reverb asking $1,600.00 for it