Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Should a Serious Mandolin Player Learn Classical?

Default Re: Should a Serious Mandolin Player Learn Classical?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    While I am not the one to do it, I am sure there are many who could argue this effectively.
    They are worlds apart (think "right hand"). It's a bit like a harp to a hammered dulcimer. I think you can understand this without necessarily being a player of both guitar and mandolin--there are many more variables to control in classical guitar technique. No slight toward mandolin--they are simply two different animals

I haven't an interest in "arguing" over this point--or which instrument is "better"--only pointing out that the technical requirements of (classical) guitar and mandolin are vastly different, and why you might find (as I experience it) an orientation of staunch tradition among classical guitarists (particularly). Generally, you probably won't find many flatpicking guitarists undertaking classical guitar pieces with classical guitar technique and expecting much benefit to one's flatpicking technique--it would be a little like thinking one's deer hunting in the fall would have some crossover to one's flyfishing

Anyway, Robert's post says it all nicely (in response to the OP):

Quote Originally Posted by margora View Post
    With regard to the original question, I would say that standards have risen in American mandolin circles that make a strong musical background -- reading, theory, ensemble skills, etc. -- extremely valuable if not essential, but this has nothing per se to do with classical mandolin methods. I would say, as I have at other times on the 'cafe, that American mandolin circles have a narrow view of right hand technique (basically, DUDUDU ....) and the much more expansive right hand skills taught, say, by the Germans (or Italians or the Dutch) would be a valuable addition to anyone's skillset, even if they never play Vilvaldi or Calace.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Aug-13-2012 at 6:44am.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should a Serious Mandolin Player Learn Classical?

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    They are worlds apart (think "right hand"). It's a bit like a harp to a hammered dulcimer. I think you can understand this without necessarily being a player of both guitar and mandolin--there are many more variables to control in classical guitar technique. No slight toward mandolin--they are simply two different animals

... Generally, you probably won't find many flatpicking guitarists undertaking classical guitar pieces with classical guitar technique and expecting much benefit to one's flatpicking technique--it would be a little like thinking one's deer hunting in the fall would have some crossover to one's flyfishing
    They are vastly different absolutely. For a second there I thought your comparison was between classical guitar and "the narrow view of right hand technique in American mandolin circles", which would be as incorrect as comparing the 400 year history of classical mandolin in Eurpoe with flatpicking the guitar.

Anyway, Robert's post says it all nicely (in response to the OP):
    Indeed.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....