Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VERY new to mandolin...

Default VERY new to mandolin...

Hello MC! I've been reading on here for a few days now to get a feel for it and thought I should post.

I've played guitar for about 15 years and love it. I want to pick up the mandolin because I've always loved the sound and thought it would be a great addition to what I already do.
    I've looked all over and am just not sure of a few things that maybe this community can help me with. First off, American made vs not. I like American made, but they tend to be a bit more expensive. Are there any downfalls to buying say an Asian built mandolin? I've read a lot about A's vs F's and as I LOVE the look of an F, I'd be ok with an A as long as it sounds good and is still aesthetically pleasing.

I guess my main question is do you guys have any opinions (and I'm sure you do after reading through lots I posts) about what a good beginner mandolin might be for under or around $300? I will be using it to play out live at some point after I learn how to play the thing, lol.

Side note, I've also looked into building my first one...though I've never undertaken anything like it...thoughts?

I appreciate any advice or opinions I might get and look forward to reading through it all!

Joe - Indianapolis, IN
    Last edited by jpschersch; Jul-19-2012 at 12:01pm. Reason: Too blocky

Default Re: VERY new to mandolin...

The consensus here is that an A style is cheaper than an F style. Depending on what kind of music you want to play, an A style should do the job to begin with. I have owned both Asian made and American made instruments. With your stated budget you might want to look for a used mandolin. Check out local music stores and be sure to get your hands on a mandolin before buying it. Even if you can't play a tune on a mandolin yet, you can still see how they sound and find one that sounds nice to you.
    Be prepared to get hooked on this crazy little instrument.....they are a barrel of fun and will give years of pleasure. Have fun.

Blog Entries

American made or not - there are good mandolins and good values to be had in either case. There are no quality issue or concerns that would argue against an Asian make.

A's are generally less expensive and generally sound as good and perform as well. Aesthetics is a personal thing.

There are lots of threads you can find with the search feature as to particular brands to investigate. I would only add that $300 often seems to be the number folks start at. You aren't going to get a lot of mandolin for $300. Think of it this way, quality for quality, mandolins generally run about twice the price of guitars. So think of the quality of guitar you can get for $150, and in general thats about what to expect in a mandolin for $300.

I would say spending more gets you an instrument you are more likely to fall in love with. Note that nomatter what you spend, you are at some point going to want to get a better one, (what ever better might mean to you), or at least another one. Trust me, you will.

Lastly take a look at my blog on this very topic.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thank you guys for the prompt responses! (I'm reading your blog at on the other screen while I type this).

I was just searching, and a lot of people mention the Kentucky KM150 or The Loar LM-220. I think The Loar LM-220 might be a bit over my price range, but the KM150 I've found for around $200. Going from your previous statement about what kind of quality of guitar you'd get for half the price of the Mandolin, that means the quality is that of a $100 guitar. Is that accurate in this case? (reason I bring this up is because I've read multiple places that say the Kentucky KM150 is really good). Just wondering. Back to reading the blog :P

Joe

Also, (sorry to keep bumping), is there a way to filter the classifieds or to see the prices more easily? It isn't a big deal to click on each one to see, but was just wondering if I was missing something. Thanks!

Joe

Hi Joe...I was in your shoes not too long ago ( a couple of weeks) and was going to get a new KM150 or 160. I stumbled across a Michael Kelly a solid on CL that was too good to pass up so I got it and have been happy with it so far (although it is true, I am already wanting to upgrade to an Eastman). Lots of people say the kentuckys are a great starter along with the loars and such so you cant really go wrong with them. FWIW there is a great deal on a KM160 in the agf classifieds with a HSC. If i hadnt already got my starter I would of snatched it up already. Heres the link http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=258639

Thank you shortymack! I'll take a look at that mando.

Anyone here build their own mandolins? If so, how difficult would it be for a novice (I assume very)? Also, any training materials online that anyone suggests? Thanks again!

Joe

Blog Entries

Building a mandolin is no way to save money. I know in my case I could not afford the first mandolin I would build, what with tooling, and wasted wood from poor technique, saw dust removal, not even inlcuding the value of my time, or the hospital bills when I cut my thumb off. And assuming I spent the money and put in the time, my first mandolin is likely going to be less satisfying than a Rogue RM-100A for 50 bucks. Much less.

The entire staff
    funny....

I wasn't thinking it would be a way to save money. I figured it would be one of those things I treasured for years. What would you recommend for someone like me (who knows nothing) who wants to have something like that?

Blog Entries

Well I don't know. I couldn't make something out of wood that I would treasure for years, but you might have some skills.

Its really an entirely different question. If you think you would like the process, and the adventure of learning all that goes into it, I would not hesitate. There are many threads on building that you can poke around and get an idea how much there is to it.

As for me - building a mandolin would seriously cut into my pickin' time.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpschersch View Post
    Thank you shortymack! I'll take a look at that mando.

Anyone here build their own mandolins? If so, how difficult would it be for a novice (I assume very)? Also, any training materials online that anyone suggests? Thanks again!

Joe
    Lots of kits and training videos. The website has a builders forum full of experienced people and tons of info to look thru. If you're handy with tools it's still gonna be an experience to build your own but not impossible. Here's a start for you.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Man...dolin_Kit.html
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

If you do want to build a mandolin, I would still buy one first. It would help a lot to have some familiarity with the instrument and an idea what you are shooting for. It will give you something to play during the process, which might easily take a year if you need to research and collect tools. It should help keep you inspired as well. You can always resell it once you finish your build.

As to the mandolin. You mention the LM-220. If this is within your budget, it is a great choice. If not, one of the Kentucky's is also a good choice.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

If $ 300.oo is your limit, this Eastman 305 is a good start, if you don't mind used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/eastman-md30...item3f19fc9032

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Thanks everyone for the input! I was thinking the same thing about buying one to have a point of reference and something to learn/play on. I actually saw that Eastman on Ebay the other day but have read from so many contributors on this site that buying on Ebay wasn't the best idea...not being set up and such...but if it is used, means it is more likely set up? Or?

Joe

For your vey first build I would highly recommend the Saga A stryle kit as sold by International Violin... At a little over$100 you will end up learning something about mandolins and their construction, and with the book recommended for this kit you will learn an awful lot about mandolin construction and fine tuning which can be the difference between an average sounding instrument and an outstanding sounding instrument. Highly recommended for the beginnerwith little knowledge of mando construction.
    Bart McNeil

It may not meet your aesthetic requirements, but the flat and unadorned Big Muddy (used to be Mid-Missouri) mandolins are IMHO the very best value in a low priced mandolin BY FAR. The simpler construction allows for a pretty low price point for these American made, all solid wood, excellent sounding instrument with great playability. Mike Dulak, the builder of these, is reputed to be very friendly and customer-service oriented. If you can find a used one of these, all the better. And posting a "wanted" ad on the classifieds is one way to flush those out.

Used instruments may or may not be set up. There's no way to know unless it is specified in the ad, and even then, you are gambling a little. Really, the best way to explore your options at this point is to try to get somewhere where you can put your hands and ears on some actual instruments. If you don't have a store you could get to in a weekend day-trip, maybe post here on the Cafe to see if there's anyone in your neighborhood willing to let you try theirs. Buying online is more of a gamble b/c no matter what is written, you don't know its condition or how it sounds until you get it. Use cautious sensible online strategies just as you would with any purchase - ask good questions, expect good answers, and if the answers don't sit right with you, move on. There will always be another mandolin or another deal.

And I have built instruments and let me tell you that unless you are already a pretty experienced woodworker (and even then), your first build is not likely to be the greatest sounding instrument, and definitely will not save you money. It is true that playing an instrument you've built is extremely gratifying - but I agree with Robert's point that having more hands-on experience with the instrument will INFORM a building process tremendously (and give you something to play in the meantime).
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

I also recommend a Mid-Missouri (formerly Big Muddy), but understand if it isn't the style you want. It was one of my very first instruments and served me very well until I "upgraded".
    If you could boost your budget to $500 you will be getting into some much better instruments. The Kentucky KM505 has long been considered among the best values out there and you can find them in the $400-500 range, though Elderly Instruments lists them at $540 new. It is made with better woods and better construction than the less expensive Kentucky models.
    If you have interest in a vintage instrument, $500 will by some nice ones, but it would be better to gain some experience before going down the vintage road.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

"I actually saw that Eastman on Ebay the other day but have read from so many contributors on this site that buying on Ebay wasn't the best idea...not being set up and such...but if it is used, means it is more likely set up? Or?"

Do you mean buying new on ebay isn't the best idea?... Buying new on Ebay is not necessarily a bad idea... But keep in mind that once you have an un-set up instrument you will have to spend roughly $70 - $100 more to have the instrument properly set up.

And by the way, buying used is no guarentee that the instrument is properly set up. Many individual sellers simply don't understand that their instrument was never set up. I think it is wise to assume that unless you are buying from an established brick and morter dealer the chances are high that your instrument will need a set up before becoming a decent and comfortable player. The major dealers all set up their instruments and that is why they cost a more when buying from an established dealer. In other words you get what you pay for. And generally you don't get what you don't pay for.

I bought an instrument from a mail order dealer because of low price and was told it was set up.... It wasn't and was painful to play and intonation was bad. I learned to set it up myself but some folks don't feel competent to do it themselves and will gladly pay to have someone do it for them.
    Bart McNeil

Wow, so much information! Very much appreciated!

I'll look into the Big Muddy. I looked a while back at them, but I'll give a closer look. (were you talking about the MW-0? or another model?)

So I'm thinking VERY seriously about the Saga Mandolin Kit from IV. Someone talk me into or out of it, lol.

http://www.internationalviolin.com/i...x?ItemCode=MK1 Saga Mandolin Kit
    or
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Man...&xst=3&xsr=986 Campfire Mandolin Kit

Which would someone who thinks it is a good idea recommend?
    Last edited by jpschersch; Jul-20-2012 at 3:48pm.

Wow, so much information! Very much appreciated!

I'll look into the Big Muddy. I looked a while back at them, but I'll give a closer look. (were you talking about the MW-0? or another model?)
    The basic model is the MW-0. At one time the basic model was designated M-0 (especially when the company was called Mid-Missouri before 2006). You should be able to find good used ones for $325 or so.

Sorry, I had the names switched in my post above.

There is a M-8 model (discontinued?) for sale on Ebay. It has a walnut back and would be a very nice instrument for you. The seller seems to be a player, usually a good indication.
    Here's the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en
    I don't expect it will sell for over $400.
    I have purchased a number of mandolins on ebay over the years and have never been taken. I still own and play two of them regularly. It was part of my learning process.

If you like the pancake style, you need to look at "Flatiron" mandolins as well. They are even better built than the Big Muddy, but all will be used instruments. haven't been made for quite a few years. Here is one up on ebay right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Flati...item4aba00cf93
    Last edited by Capt. E; Jul-20-2012 at 4:41pm.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

22. The following members say thank you to Capt. E for this post:

Did anyone have any thoughts on building from a kit? (for or against?).
    http://www.internationalviolin.com/i...x?ItemCode=MK1
    Or
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Man...&xst=3&xsr=986

These were 2 I found pretty quickly so was just wanting some thoughts on this route (again, for or against). Thanks again!

Also, I'm keeping an eye on that M-8 on eBay. What do you guys think the most it hold go for?

Joe

...was just wanting some thoughts on this route (again, for or against). Thanks again!...
    Review Robert's Post #12 above; I think his idea, that the self-built kit shouldn't be your first mandolin, makes a lot of sense.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

In order to build one well, it really, really helps to have some understanding of what makes a good mandolin in the first place.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Blog Entries

I jammed with a fellow who was playing a Big Muddy just the other day. I think it was the MW-0. I really liked the sound. Very nice. I didn't get to try it, but it sounded great, looked great. Lots of fun.

The entire staff
    funny....