Thread: 8 string bridge options

Default 8 string bridge options

i need an 8 string bridge for a flat top solid body and wonder what options are out there besides the one offered from Moongazer Music. that one looks pretty good and would probably get it done....but i'm curious if i have some other options.

is anyone using the Moongazer bridge and if so... any thoughts/comments on it?

thanks all.

Default Re: 8 string bridge options

I have the Moongazer (Almuse) MMUPB bridge on my Mandobird VIII. The original bridge only allowed two point adjustment, and I couldn't get the inonation correct. The MMUPB allows for independently setting the length for each pair of strings. Much better than the original.

That is your only option unless you make one. I was making the bridges for Tom but have dropped the ball on that process. I assume he has sold everything that I had made and is making his own. Its been nothing but an uphill battle with the plating company. I have 50+ that I am hoping they will eventually plate for me, but I'm not holding my breath. I use them on my instruments without issue.

Tom's a great guy and has really stepped up and filled a very small niche market. I'd recommend him without hesitation to rovide a quality product and excellent service. FWIW, I buy all my pickups through him.

My Bacorn and Tucciarelli 8string emandos both have posts mounted in the body with a traditional mandolin style saddle.
    Works quite well.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milne View Post
    My Bacorn and Tucciarelli 8string emandos both have posts mounted in the body with a traditional mandolin style saddle.
    Works quite well.
    Ben - Is the saddle fixed in position then, or is it moveable for adjusting intonation?

Godin A8 buys Piezo bridge pieces from RMC of Berkeley Cal.. they make a single and a 2 notch version.

each has a signal lead out of it.. can be combined to a Mono signal [godin does , uses an onboard Pre/EQ]

or left divided, and run into one of the several polydrive preamps , I have the External PD2..

the pre also includes a 1/4" and the Roland friendly 13 pin feed to their guitar synthisizers.

RMC offers the piezo bridge chip piece in several formats.. Fender Strat , Wilkinson, Gibson tuneOmatic, and so forth
    the 'acoustic gold , is the simplest, It goes in flat top guitar bridges ,
    the 2 notch per piece ones are what Godin Buys. 4 per instrument.

dual source becomes tidy.. magnetic + piezo..

I have 2 installations, 1 the 4 piezo pieces are insets in a wooden bridge..
    which is largely what Godin Does..

The other are Strat bridge type.. i had Steve Ryder do a retrofit
    on my Pentalin, angled strat jack plate was replaced with
    a flat piece now includes the 1/4 " jack, and a DIN jack
    to run the patch cable to the Polydrive 2..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Ben - Is the saddle fixed in position then, or is it moveable for adjusting intonation?
    Fixed position, compensated mandolin saddle. (pic of the Tucciarelli here). The compensation is set by the builder and since the bridge posts are fixed, it can't slip out of position like the floating bridge on an arch top acoustic.
    I have a Jerman bridge on my Mandobird and haven't adjusted the intonation since I first set it.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

IDK what OP is Fitting..
    Follow ing links .. looks like a Bolt on neck is a need, to tweak the Action,
    with moongazer's, Fender-ish bridges..

Fixed neck, if too high, the router may be needed to make a well in the top.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture