Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hilburn #59

Default Re: Hilburn #59

I got 59 recorded last night. I'll write more about the session later but here's the tunes.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Hilburn For This Useful Post:

59 sounds every bit as good as it looks. Congrats on another fantastic instrument!
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Really nice Jim!!!

It sounds fantastic! Super deep, powerful and resonant. Your right Jim, it seems very open already. Congratulations!

I had to go walk the dog before it got to hot.
    I went back to Coupe with John McVey engineering. Dave Goldenberg is one of Boulder's young guns and he was in the top 5 at Winfield last year. He and Jordan Ramsey were recognized as 4th and 5th but all the armchair judges I know put them 2nd and 3rd. The first tune is "Shove the Pig's Foot a Little Farther in the Fire" and he played it the same way I remember his playing in the contest, starting with a fairly basic version of the tune and then embellishing on it as he goes. I added the rhythm guitar and I wanted it mixed way in the back but I might get John to send me another version where it's a little more present. What do you think?
    The second is a freeform "Cluck Old Hen". I wish you could hear them in the control room!

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

I know it is very hard to get a real life example of what the instrument really sounds like in a recording, but regardless, both tracks sound wonderful. I can only imagine what they sound like in person. Thanks for the clips!

Jim's latest -- Octave Mandolin #59 -- is now up on his site along with remixed sound tracks. As usual, an amazing build looks-wise and sound-wise!

http://hilburnmandolins.com/gallery59.html
    "But no well informed person ever called the picking of the mandolin music." New York Times, 1897

Jim, this OM sounds very articulate with full, strong, deep tone! Thanks for the clips. I hope to play and perhaps own one your fine octaves one day.

Wonderful work, very impressive in every way. I have this friend... who wanted me to ask... if its available?
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Sorry, but this one is safe in it's new home.
    My wife told me the guitar on Pigsfoot (me) wasn't strong enough in the mix so John sent this new version.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by pjlama View Post
    Wonderful work, very impressive in every way. I have this friend... who wanted me to ask... if its available?

Blog Entries

Sustain all day long.

Want!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence