Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $35.00 Vs. $1.00 - Pick Wars

Default Re: $35.00 Vs. $1.00 - Pick Wars

I usually don't chime in on these things, but I think you're right, Roots. I have a BC that I got as a birthday gift but I don't think of it as a money-talks or show-off object. For one thing, nobody can see it since at jams it's either in my pocket or under my thumb. I use my pick every day and have done so for a couple years, whereas $35 barely gets you a couple bags of groceries these days... seems like a pretty low amount to get all snooty about.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Hi all,

Just got my new Blue Chip SR40 pick today (by the way, amazing service from the Blue Chip people; ordered on Monday (6/11/12), and received it today, two days later - that's pretty good!).

So, I ordered this Blue Chip SR40 pick to (? replace ?) my Blue Chip TPR45 pick. I really like the TPR45, but I sometimes find myself going back to my old ($1.00) Golden Gate pick, because I like really like its more rounded tip and mellow sound. I thought the SR40 might be alittle more like the Golden Gate's shape but have all the other plus's that Blue Chip picks seem to have that alot of players really like.

Here's how they look side by side:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0193.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	87928

Bottom line: Do I like the Blue Chip SR40? Yes, it's one excellent pick - great grip, feel, tone, everything. This is one amazing pick!

Is it 35 times better then the Golden Gate pick? That's alittle harder to answer. I still like them both, but this Blue Chip SR 40 is really something special. 35 times better - not so sure about that, but to be fair, my mandolin playing is not good enough to make these kind of judgements for anybody; it's just my newbie opinion.

Just some thoughts I wanted to share with the Forum. Thanks again for express some thoughts!
    Years ago when Blue Chip first began I tried his pick and liked everything about it except the shape. Back then they only had a few shapes too choose from and the picks were thirty bucks. I sent him a golden gate and asked if he could make me one exactly like the Golden gate and he did. same shape and thickness. I still have that pick and use it mostly. I have other Blue Chip picks as well but I use this one the most. It just says Blue Chip 60 on it.

I recently got a BlueChip TPR40 and a TD35, partly out of curiosity but also because I found myself in a period of 'pick-indecision'. They are expensive but then again I've got nice mandolins and I wanted to see what sort of sound I could get, compared with my usual Fender mediums etc. The other reason I had for looking at higher-end picks is that I wanted to find something that doesn't move or rotate in my fingers. I like the BC's a lot, they have a warmer sound than my V-pick Tremelos but the TPR40 in particular can really pull a lot of volume out of the instrument, just with a different, less zingy sound. They don't move around in your fingers and they are smooth & fast over the strings. I tend to swap between the V-Picks and the BC's depending on the sound I want at the time, but I do like the BC's and would definitely recommend them.
    Malcolm Robertson
    Santa Rosa, CA

After reading so many post about Blue chip picks , I am reminded of the story of the braggard who bought his first cadillac. After boring several friends about his new car a new person came into the room and one fellow seeing a pigeon made a bet the new car owner would work his cadillac into the conversation within 2 minutes . Upon shaking hands the cadillac owner said ,"You have a strong grip just like the mechanic who works on my cadillac."

So, that's a compliment, meveral3? From all the BC owners, thanks for not being judgemental about my pick preference.
    Glad you're making friends after 14 posts.
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Wish the 'clown-barf' was still in production.. X Heavy, the rounded big triangle shape.
    easy to hold on to, but if dropped, easy to find.. mock-tortoise brown much less obvious.
    Just bought four of them right here on the Cafe classifieds. There's no manufacturer stamp to identify them - I've asked the seller for details and am waiting for a reply. These are great picks - not quite as bright as my BC TAD60-1R, but a really nice feel and tone. I usually switch back and forth between my BC and a JazzMando V-pick. But I think I've become a clown barf convert...

Try several kinds of picks, and then go with the one that works; you'll probably change eventually anway. If you own a 1K mandolin, (or even $500?), don't worry about a pick's price. As someone noted, a fiddler might buy an expensive bow. In my case I bought a six hundred dollar bow to play on a fiddle a friend bought for $15. at a garage sale years ago. The fiddle sounds great but even better with this bow. This thread is titled Pick Wars," but let's go in peace. I respect posters' opinions, but imo this matter quickly becomes a simple one.