Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best (and affordable) Acoustic/Electric

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Best (and affordable) Acoustic/Electric

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    ...My favorite sounding amplified mandolin is Rigel. Their A model used might seem like a lot($1-2K?) but i believe the quality, playability and resale will more than make up for the difference in cost. Buying on the cheap is OK if thats really what you want but thats also what put you behind the Savannah that you quickly outgrew.
    That's good advice. The original Rigels don't get mentioned much since they're getting more expensive and harder to find these days, but Gold Tone is producing very nice yet much more affordable copies of two of those venerable Rigel designs that are worth a look. Since they get their final inspection in Florida, the set up is done already. I have two Gold Tone instruments and can vouch for their quality. They're a little more expensive, but it includes the set up which you'll pay for anyway if you can't do it yourself.

I guess we're all trying to say the same thing: Don't sell yourself short just because that Fender is available. There's nothing wrong with it, but there are other options that might be better in the long run. Buying mandolins is easy, being satisfied with them, well...
    Last edited by Tim2723; Jun-04-2012 at 11:07am.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

2. The following members say thank you to Tim2723 for this post:

Woyvel 

Wow, thanks Ben, Hank, Tim, and CES! I really appreciate all of your input, time on my issue, and expertise!

Oh yes Tim, the band director/instrument-repair-guy inside of me is definitely looking to make the adjustments on my Savannah. I will for sure be doing that. On that.....I can easily make the bridge adjustments, but my concern is that I need to file down the nut to correct the action (I gotta do this, it's tearing up my fingers). No problem doing this, as I've fixed oboes, clarinets and the like for 20 plus years now.

BUT: what tool do I need to file down the nut? I know it's a hard plastic nut, will the file tear it up?

There is no doubt the Godin is a wonderful choice. The acoustic AND electric sounds are both wonderful. I guess I'm just not ready to sink $800 (at one time) into a mandolin yet since I play all kinds of other instrument as well. Although it would certainly cure all of my problems and eliminate a need for an upgrade for MANY years, huh?

I was definitely planning to have the sales guy plug in the Fender while I listen to it in the next room, I know that the fact that I can hear it acoustically up close can skew my idea of what is REALLY coming out of the amp. Well, we'll see on Friday, I'm gonna go back in there to check it out again.

Thanks again guys!

Agreed Tim.....I'm gonna really think hard and listen harder before purchasing the Fender on Friday.

Destroyer of Mandolins

As for the nut, I've always used a file set I got from a hobby shop where they sold all manner of miniature tools. Some report good results using a 'torch cleaner' which is really just a small rat-tail file used to dress the nozzle of a welding torch and available in hardware stores. Either way it's only a few bucks, but I'd go with a set of mini-files. They'll end up on your instrument workbench for all sorts of repairs. They're also handy for trimming the hinge pins on a flute or sax and taking small burrs off a trumpet's pistons when a kid drops one, and for smoothing the leading edge of any brass mouthpice when it gets dented. The tone suffers when there's a dent in it. I carried a reamer and file in my trombone case when I was in highschool and was the most popular guy in the marching band! That habbit turned me into the 'mom' of every band I've been in. I'm the one who carries tools and spare everythings, even for instruments I don't play! LOL!!

Anyway, it sounds like you understand what we're saying and have a good handle on it. Let us know how you make out.
    Last edited by Tim2723; Jun-05-2012 at 6:24am.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Well gentlemen, after following the wonderful advice on this forum, I'm happy to report success!

First, last night I loosened the strings and adjusted the bridge. Surprisingly, I noticed a big difference and even the non-musicians in my house noticed a difference. Secondly, tonight I removed the nut, sanded it down from the bottom (instead of filing the individual slots) and WOW what a difference! I do have to go back and adjust the bridge again, but the action is no longer tearing the hell out of my fingers. Thanks guys!

Destroyer of Mandolins

Well, that's good news and it only took two pages to convince you!

So what are your next steps? Do you think you'll proceed with the Fender or use that money to add electronics to the Savannah? (BTW, the Fender that Chuck mentioned isn't the one you're looking at. We can tell by the price. His is a more expensive, considerably advanced model. It costs twice as much. Just so you're clear on that point. Fenders are OK, but it's not the same one.)

I would never speak for the group of course, but after a while we can sort of predict what each other will say. I have the feeling most of us would recommend using the money for top-rate electronics that could be transferred to future instruments, just because it protects your investment better. At least that's what I would do. But it's all up to you.
    Last edited by Tim2723; Jun-06-2012 at 10:07am.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723 View Post
    I have the feeling most of us would recommend using the money for top-rate electronics that could be transferred to future instruments, just because it protects your investment better. At least that's what I would do. But it's all up to you.
    I'll go with play into a microphone and keep saving until you have twice the budget for the upgrade.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Well, that can include a microphone, I just didn't say it very well. You're right that we usually think pickups when we say electronics. (I knew when I wrote that something didn't sound right. ) I'm trying to say investing in the Savannah as opposed to buying another low-cost mando. The $250 for the Fender - the one in the local shop - could buy a good mic and stand with a quality cable, or maybe a nice clip-on mic. Those could go with any mandolin in the future.

But, if we go back to earlier posts he states that playing into a mic wasn't satisfactory, which is where we got started on all this acoustic-electric business in the first place. But you're right, playing into a mic will give the best tone and allow for saving up as long as it works. Personally, I would go back and try the mic again now that the Savannah is working better.
    Last edited by Tim2723; Jun-07-2012 at 8:18am.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Well guys, I caved in. I went back to the store and listened to the Fender in another room while the sales guy played it. It sounded really good, the action was great, intonation fantastic, so I bought it. So I now I own a Fender FM52-E.

So I took it to church and let some of the guys fool with it while I listened to it at the back of the room and BOOM, it sounds better than it did in the store. I think it really fits me and my playing ability right now. I can't believe it sounds like a mandolin through my bass amp, it sounds really good.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Now what to do with my Savannah???

Blog Entries

Keep it. Continue learning how to work on it ... But have a second mandolin around, if just as a 'beater'. Eventually your other mandolin may go to the shop, a friend might want to try one ... Or you might decide to try saw tuning.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Destroyer of Mandolins

Congratulations! The decision was always yours to make and it sounds like you made a good one. Best of luck and great success to you! Keep the Savannah for a beater or for when you need a second instrument for something. Well done!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

My first mando was one of these. Mine had a terrible fret job, but I got nice sounds out of it, especially after switching to nickel strings. Tilt the pickup up toward the E (with the height screws) to balance its inherent weakness. Cut the midrange and boost highs for an acoustic tone, boost the mids and cut the highs for an electric tone. If you get AC hum you can add a ground wire by running a stretch of scrap E string from under the tailpiece screws to under the output jack.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Nice one, happiness in tone and playability are two major factors in MAS. It also means you are now officially a mandolin player, not just a dabbler. Happy picking.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Thanks guys. Great advice Tom, I will certainly cut the mids and boost the highs. Happy playing, boys!