Thread: Pickup Manufacturers

Default Pickup Manufacturers

Hi Guys,

I've been researching with a view to replacing the active pickup in my custom built solidbody. Apart from the fact that it has never "heard" the E-string as loudly as the other strings. I suspect that a passive pickup would sound better. So it's a matter of finding out who makes suitable pickups.
    Predictably, Google is not particularly helpful, and feeding "Pickup" into this forums search engine produces 385 hits, just searching thread titles, most of which are about piezos, contact mics and the like, which is not what I am looking for.
    After a couple of hours, my patience has become somewhat strained, and I thought it might be helpful (not just for me) to compile a list of manufacturers, with links to their websites, so that anyone looking for this kind of concise information may access it without having to laboriously browse the whole forum.
    The two that my labours so far have turned up are:

http://www.armstrongpickups.co.uk/

and

http://sjryder.com/pickups.htm

Obviously, once you know the name of the manufacturer, its easy to search for the name in the forum and see what people have to say, so I don't think it is necessary to muddy up the list with subjective opinions, but I'm certain that I'm not the only one who would benefit from the combined knowledge of the forum members.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Polecat; May-16-2012 at 11:17am. Reason: Dyslekshya
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

Default Re: Pickup Manufacturers

Almuse mandolin pickups are designed to improve the E-string presence.

Pickups that I have used on emandos in order of preference Almuse, DiMarzio ProTrack, GFS Lil' Pup, Carvin stacked humbucker, Schwab Bartolini, EMG Select, Razor available through Allparts and Bartolini 8CPB. I do not recommend the last two. Almuse obviously being the pickup of choice.

I just got one from Guitar Fuel that is designed for cigar box instruments to put on my son's uke but haven't done it yet.

This is a bit dated, but you may find it useful:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/ar...php/t-121.html

I like the Armstrong and the Almuse in my emandos.
    Ryder gets favourable reviews too.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.