Thread: 10 string e-mando with Midi, sustainer, more...

Default 10 string e-mando with Midi, sustainer, more...

Sorry if this is a repost, but this might be one of the most awesome e-mandos I've ever come across

http://visionaryinstruments.com/EMidiMando.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Face1.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	86161

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Default Re: 10 string e-mando with Midi, sustainer, more...

Very interesting - an accelerometer in the headstock, that's a great idea! I don't think the video does it justice. From the description of all of the features it sounds like this instrument is capable of quite a few sounds.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Very cool instrument...

Pardon my ignorance... what is an accelerometer? Like a speedometer?

I also wonder why the builder or the customer chose to have it double strung. I would think that with midi and all the effects you could synthesize a double string effect. Just wondering...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I guess having adjustable intonation saddles would have put it over the top

so the sustainiac is not a pick up but a string vibrator device . so your stuck with just the bridge pick up for sound . look at me complain complain . nice headstock the body shape is cool though i wonder if it would dig into the stomach when playing standing

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Pardon my ignorance... what is an accelerometer? Like a speedometer?

An accelerometer is a device that measures motion. They are commonly found in the iPhone as a way to measure if the device is being moved and if so, how much. Very handy for games.

In this application it appears the device is being used to measure the motion of the instrument to provide a vibrato by shaking the instrument. This happens normally with an accoustic instrument as shaking it will cause a vibrato, but in the midi world that input would be ignored without an accelerometer (and using it's signal to trigger the control voltage on computer).
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

I get it. That is why it has that leslie effect when you move the body. Very sophisticated. I still don't understand why they would have made it double strung except if it was designed for an acoustic mandolinist who wanted something like this and was more comfortable with the feel of the doubled strings. I know I am that way -- if I play electric I play my 8 string Gibsons. However, I rarely play electric. I would think a 5 string would make more sense, if I played electric all the time, but that is just me.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yes it looks real cool! I'm sure it is capable of much more than the spacey stuff on the vid. It would be nice to hear a broader range of sound from it. Course I probably couldn't afford it anyway. I love to see people using imagination and trying something different like that.

What is the output signal? 1/4" or 5 pin?
    Since I don't see a divided pickup on it, this is a mono output, right?
    and any pitch to midi processing is onboard.?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I also wonder why the builder or the customer chose to have it double strung. I would think that with midi and all the effects you could synthesize a double string effect. Just wondering...
    I put a Roland MIDI pickup on the 12-string neck of my double and was quite surprised how well it tracked. As long as the courses are in tune, MIDI seems to read the fundamental just fine.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I guess MIDI technology has improved vastly from years back. My only question is why doubled strings tuned the same? Many electric mandolin players I would think prefer to play 4 or five single strings. Personally I prefer double strung but that is because I am primarily an acoustic player. I would think that MIDI would give you the sound of double strung instrument anyway, so that would not be the reason.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

As long as the courses are in tune, MIDI seems to read the fundamental just fine.
    yea and how long do the courses stay in Unison ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    yea and how long do the courses stay in Unison ?
    With what looks to be Steinberger tuners, I'll suggest as long as you want them to.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

As long as the nut/bridge are cut/dressed properly, strings are stretched and you always tune up, things remain pretty solid even with a fair bit of playing abuse.

As I said ^^, I was quite surprised how well the Roland GK pickup worked on my 12 string electric guitar. I was expecting very poor tracking and a lot of missed notes but found it wasn't very far behind my nylon Godin Multiac ASC, which is considered one of the better MIDI guitars available. Not sure I'd want MIDI on a Mando, but to each their own.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -