Thread: duets by Kurt Schwaen

Default duets by Kurt Schwaen

I had never heard of the German composer, Kurt Schwaen, but on Richard Kriehn's very nice new cd of a variety of mandolin pieces are 4 duets (of 15 I think) by Kurt
    Schwaen. I looked up on the German music publisher, Trekel, and found lots of music by Schwaen, but not the mandolin duets. Anyone on the Cafe know about them and how to order them?
    I will give you a notice about Kurt Schwaen from Wikipedia below.
    Nick Royal
    Santa Cruz, CA

Kurt Schwaen
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Kurt Schwaen (June 21, 1909 in Katowice – October 9, 2007 in Berlin) was a German composer.
    Contents [hide]
    1 Professional career
    2 Musical works
    2.1 Orchestral
    2.2 Operas
    2.3 Other
    2.4 Chamber music
    2.5 Piano music
    3 Sources
    4 References
    5 External links
    [edit]Professional career

Schwaen studied piano, organ and composition under Fritz Lubrich. From 1929 to 1933 he studied at the universities of Berlin and Breslau, where his teachers included Curt Sachs and Arnold Schering. In 1930 he met Hanns Eisler who had a profound impact on his compositional style. After becoming active in an anti-fascist student group, he joined the Communist Party of Germany; from 1935 to 1938 he was imprisoned because of his political views.
    After the war he returned to Berlin and spent much of his time working to rebuild the musical culture of that city by writing compositions for amateur music groups, choirs, music schools and chamber ensembles, publishing and serving as a musical advisor. Between 1953 and 1956 he worked with Bertolt Brecht who had a profound impact on his future compositions. He also worked with Ernst Busch. He composed in several genres, producing a cantata for children entitled King Midas. In 1961 he became a member of the DDR Akademie der Künste, where he was head of the music department from 1965 to 1970. From 1962 to 1978 he was president of the East German National Folk Music committee. Between 1973 and 1981 he directed the children’s musical theatre in Leipzig. His awards include an honorary doctorate from Leipzig University (1983) and several state awards. Schwaen’s extensive oeuvre comprises over 620 titles. A number of works, such as the Piano Concerto no.2 (1987), show the influence of his several visits to Vietnam. Later works include the collaborative musical poem Potsdamer Platz (1998). His works, such as König Midas, were published by the Friedrich Hofmeister Musikverlag.[1]
    Schwaen later settled in Berlin-Mahlsdorf, where he died at the age of 98.
    [edit]

Default Re: duets by Kurt Schwaen

Schwaen wrote extensively for plucked strings. Trekel does carry his duets.

http://www.trekel.de/warengruppe/RP3...ge=3&SortMod=2
    Robert A. Margo

We have frequently performed Kurt Schwaen's excellent "Tanzstuck" with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra. It's a great piece!

With Robert Margora's help, it looks like I'll be getting the Schwaen mandolin duets fr. Trekel publishing, in Hamburg, Germany before long. Having heard 4 of them on Richard Kriehn's cd, I am looking forward to having the music.
    Nick Royal