Thread: Single foot Loar-style bridge

Anybody use a single foot bridge? I have one of Steve's tall-boy Loar bridges from Cumberland Acoustic and have always wondered how much the single foot design had to do with the improvement that the bridge brought, above the fact that they are just great bridges. Anybody ever switch a single and a double back and forth on the same mandolin? I am curious about the effect on the mid-range.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Butch Baldassari and Sam Bush both sanded their bridges down to a one footer. Butch tells me he thinks it helped the midrange. I haven't tried it myself.

Sanding down a standard bridge will remove a considerable amount of mass and allow the base to be more flexible. these two factors can be the cause of the change of tone. As always, it will be a case by case basis.

I use continuous contact bridges for the most part, but more for a structural reason. Years ago I saw a mandolin with cracks starting in the top along the inside edges of the feet. This may have happened from a blow or from constant stress, I don't know, but seeing what can happen to a top with the traditional bridge I decided to use the full contact foot to avoid such occurences.

That's a good point about thinning down a two foot bridge into a one foot bridge, Michael. I compared the old Stewmac two foot bridge that I had before, and to thin it down enough to have it touch all the way across would remove a substantial amount of stock from the base and leave it quite thin. The custom one I got from Steve retains it's base thickness from end to end and would have to be considered another beast from a modified two foot bridge. I recall a story I read about John Reischman's Loar developing a bulge between the bridge feet and I believe it was bassist Todd Phillips fit it with a one foot bridge that solved the problem.

Default Re: Single foot Loar-style bridge

I've had the opposite experience. A bridge with feet that are too big will not allow the mando top vibrate as well, resulting in less volume. I try to set up bridges 4 1/8" long with 1 1/8" feet. Width will also change sound. A wider bridge will give you more bass. thinner, more high end. Bridges are the easiest way to change sound. I suggest people experiment and post their results.

For my new bouzouki (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...uction-project) I bought a Fishman mando bridge from Stewmac. Made for an archtop mandolin, but since the arch of my bouzouki soundboard is a lot more pronounced (Howe-Orme style top), it didn't fit, and there wasn't enough wood in the foot left to make it fit.
    I made a new ebony one, single foot. Just for the extra structural strength - I doubt the influence on the sound will be very large (certainly not enough to be noticed while playing in a session with pipes, accordions, etc.), but since I play a lot on stages out in the open, I wouldn't want a two-footer to crack in the middle when I play slightly too hard in slightly too hot/cold/dry/damp weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    I recall a story I read about John Reischman's Loar developing a bulge between the bridge feet and I believe it was bassist Todd Phillips fit it with a one foot bridge that solved the problem.
    I heard that story from a interview with Reischman and, if I recall correctly, Todd didn't fit a new bridge but filled in the space between the feet using the original bridge. It corrected the problem and certainly didn't hurt the sound any. John didn't mention in the interview how it affected the tone. That would be interesting to know.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Blog Entries

I've gone both ways on this. At first I was attracted to the idea that the two-footed bridge concentrated the energy over the two tone bars (in an f-hole) and that this improved both treble and bass tone/projection.

Then I bought a Gibson A-9 as a back up that had a full contract bridge and this mandolin was arguebly louder and brighter sounding than my Fern!

So I fitted the Fern with a CA full contact bridge and got what I thought was improvement. So IMO the full contact works best.

However, like many of these things I think it is highly subjective and most of these modifications most likely make changes in the mind of the player (including mine) more than the mandolin itself.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

In the Mike Marshall Mandolin Cafe interview he says: The bridge I have now is touching all the way across the length of the bridge as per Sam Bush's recommendation. It sounds very nice.

I asked the question to Sam Bush, for his Mandolin Cafe interview, to give us his opinion regarding the full contact bridge and why he recommends them. But alas...that was not one of the questions he answered.

Adrian Minarovic

I modified bridge on my Krishot F-5 18 years ago when I noticed some bulging between the feet of bridge. I could barely feel it but I ddn't want to risk so I took few pieces of mahogany veneer and filled the space and added one piece across entile length of bridge. It fitted well and I didn't notice any change in tone (even though the veneer was not ebony). This was years before "one foot bridges" became publicly discussed topic. For my latest mandolin I made one footer, too. I've made several before and noticed no bad influence on tone so I'll probably use them on my next mandolins as well...
    Adrian

deleted
    Last edited by Timmando; Apr-27-2012 at 3:27pm. Reason: duplicate

On the two mandos that I have, one has a two foot bridge, the other a full contact. The one with the full contact has more volume on the E and A strings, the two foot bridge mando sounds dead on those strings...same strings, same pick energy, same pick. I guess a new full contact is in my future...thanks for the info..any recommendations for a full contact bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmando View Post
    On the two mandos that I have, one has a two foot bridge, the other a full contact. The one with the full contact has more volume on the E and A strings, the two foot bridge mando sounds dead on those strings...same strings, same pick energy, same pick. I guess a new full contact is in my future...thanks for the info..any recommendations for a full contact bridge?
    While I am a full-contact fan, you are also talking about two different instruments, so there is likely more going on than just the bridge foot, but it is definitely worth the shot to try.
    I don't know of anyone else that even offers it other than Steve Smith of Cumberland Acoustic.
    He also offers Low-Boy and Tall-Boy options to accommodate different neck set angles.

http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com/id2.html